Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : General : Just bought a T68, and now i've got questions :)
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Just bought a T68, and now i've got questions :) Bookmark topic
Page12>

roskelld Posts: 98

Hi all.

It's my first post on the Esato forum, go to say it's a very nice site.

Ok to my T68, great new phone, looks like its got all the features I wanted to upgrade to from my 7110.
But here is my problem, I cannot get on-line
Can anyone tell me how/were to sign up for an online subscription. I've been to the Ericsson site and used thier sign up for Genie, Genie GPRS, Ericsson WAP and another which i cannot rememeber the name of. Non of them have replyed to my subscription. Does it take a while?
How have the people signed up to a WAP subscription?
If it's any help in on BT Cellnet in the UK.

Hope you can help, must have some new backdrops.

--
Posted: 2001-12-01 20:29:00
Edit : Quote

terry289 Posts: 22

I bought a T68 last week and went on the Ericsson website to get a SMS message to set my phone up for GPRS WAP usage. It did seem to take ages to arrive - at least a few hours - but when applied worked fine. As another issue, I have found that the T68 sometimes takes between 15 and 30 minutes to switch off after I've pressed the 'off' button following a GPRS WAP session that hasn't worked properly, eg. the connection has failed. I am presuming that this is due to the instability of the GPRS network rather than the T68 itself having a fault. Has anybody got a view on this please?
--
Posted: 2001-12-02 00:25:00

Thanks for the reply.
I feel a bit more reassured now, that I know there are other people out there.
I still have not recived any SMS messages from any of the providers, nearly 24 hours now. I've registered with about 5, so im sure I will get attacked all at once, like the old bus syndrome.

Hopefully if I do get on GPRS, I might have a bit more of an idea to your shut down question

Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: roskelld on 2001-12-02 12:10 ]
--
Posted: 2001-12-02 12:08:00

ofiaich Posts: > 500

I didn't know that BT-Cellnet was offering a GPRS service yet. I was told by Carphonewarehouse that only Vodaphone was offering and BT-Cellnet was going to next year!

Is this mis-information? Please tell me more about your BT-Cellnet GPRS..
--
Posted: 2001-12-02 12:57:00

To be honest I havent got a clue, I'm just signing up with everything to try and get on-line.
Now that you mention it, on the 'Status' page it states GPRS not allowed, so your prolly right.
--
Posted: 2001-12-02 13:14:00

terry289 Posts: 22

Hi roskelld, I hope you've received your GPRS settings by now?

I am using GPRS on BT Cellnet. When GPRS is down, I get the message 'GPRS: no access' on my status page. It is a bit hit and miss. It sometimes works great for an hour, sometimes it won't let me connect at all!

There does seem to be a lot of confusing information about GPRS and the phones that use it. Before I got my T68, I looked at the Nokia 8310 but was told in one store that it was not GPRS compliant yet and needed a software upgrade, another store said the opposite!

With regard to my shutdown issue, I really do hope that it is a GPRS networking issue rather than a faulty phone as I don't want to have to send it back! (If it is a network issue, I'll put up with it while they make the network more robust, as presumably any replacement phone would have the same problems?)

Have you tried the POP3 email facility yet?

Cheers
--
Posted: 2001-12-02 13:34:00

Sadly still no SMS yet from any provider. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was reading one of the mobile phone magazines, an article about the current state of GPRS. They basically stated that the system is very temperamental as it’s still new. The conclusion was GPRS is great when it works and terrible when it doesn't.
A few people on the letters page have had similar problems, it sounds like it’s just down to the available service.

--
Posted: 2001-12-02 19:32:00

jh67 Posts: > 500

Hi

I have had GPRS since june 2001 (started on my T-39) here in Denmark. GPRS works quite well here. You have, in DK, got to pay xtra for using gprs, but it works very fast and I dont seem to "fall out". When i shut down a GPRS-session, the phone act like its supposed to.
I use it with SMS and WAP.

I think its probably a "network-thing", as you guys are saying, if it doesnt work.
The T-68 has no problems using GPRS.
It worked great on my T-39 too here in DK.

jan

--
Posted: 2001-12-02 20:37:00

zucchini Posts: 93

actually, izzit really that good to use GPRS? how fast izzit to load a wap page? 2 sec? izzit really that fast compare to normal wap?

im with Vodafone UK, how do i set it up? can they just send me a msg and set up everything? i have set up the wap but i think not GPRS, coz the wap loading time is long IMO, but i would love to try GPRS though it is very expensive to use..
--
Posted: 2001-12-03 00:19:00

jh67 Posts: > 500

Yes, GPRS is much faster than regular gsm.
For example, when writing/sendind SMS,..I push "SEND",..and a split of a second after, it says "your message was send".
The same thing with wap,..really fast, you dont actually see the page loading, its just there

If you use wap a lot, its worth it !

jan
--
Posted: 2001-12-03 00:56:00
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home