Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Nokia 7650 after 2 months by an ex T68 user
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Nokia 7650 after 2 months by an ex T68 user Bookmark topic
Page123>

cb55 Posts: 1

I bought my Nokia 7650 at the beginning of August. I have had the phone for 2 months now.

First things first, inserting the SIM - I'm sorry but the manual does not explain how to slide the cover off properly! The next thing I did after charging the battery was to take a picture. My first picture was blurry, mainly because I was zooming around the room just playing. Once I had taken a decent picture I wanted to save it as the background. My second complaint is that there is no save as background facilty in the place that you would view the images. You actuallly have to go into the settings of the phone to set a picture a background in standby mode. What I do like is the fact that the number of pictures you can take with whatever memory you have left is displayed in red - very nice. Taking pictures in night mode requires a steady hand. To be honest if you're gonna take pictures in nightclubs etc, you will be taking pictures close up sticking their tounges out! I'm not going to comment on picture quality as we all have our own definitions and it ain't a digital camera and I've not use Ericssons camera add ons.

The menus can be customised my moving all the icons around. You can chose 3 different colours but there is no themes. There is a favourites icon but I don't see the point - I just put everything into the root directory - the desktop in the order that I use them.

The 2 hot keys on the front of the phone can be assigned to any function on the menus but not to any 3rd party application - which is a shame! I have the latest video capture software and I can't kick it off using one of these hot keys.

There is a todo and calender function. You can tell this aint a phone for busines as the is no 6210 / 6310 style reminder to call someone which is a shame. Wap / GPRS is great! The large display makes WAP browsing an absolute joy. I spend more time WAP browsing than anything else. I wish the battery life was better. It's the same battery in the phone as a 8310. I believe this phone is a victim of it's own success as far as battery life is concerned. Not only do I do heavy WAP browsing, but I take at least 5 pix a day for my picture diary.

The contacts book is a joy. At first I was confused with caller groups but got the hang of it. (Many menus are organised into tabs, sometimes in bad lighting, you can't see the text on the tabs, so if you're new to the phone, you may not see them). You can enter more than 1 mobile and telephone contact per user which is nice. I HAVE FOUND A BUG!! YES SUPRISE SUPRISE THE PHONE HAS A BUG THAT CAN BE REPRODUCED! If you enter contacts WITHOUT a name, just numbers and or email details, scrolling through (Can't remember if up or down but in one direction) those contacts can take up names of existing contacts. This can be very embarassing, if you're girlfriend is called Alexandra or Zebedee (Best name I could think of with a Z) you could be texting some steamy stuff which instead could be going to take bloke who called you but haven't bothered to put his name in. Believe me a similar thing almost happended to me. Can you imagine how much Nokia USA would be sued for if they released a 7660???

I have not tried Infra red or bluetoot on this phone.

The hands free on the phone is nice. Push a button in the side of the phone and you're on hands free. Pick the phone up and put it by your ear and it will go back to normal.

I have downloaded JAVA and 7650 persific games and they work well.

Like any ex T68 user I missed the ability for the phone to automatically check periodically for emails. Because it can be programmed already their is a program on the market for this. Thats one thing I love about this phone. I know that very soon, that there is gonna be lots of stuff out there for this phone. I hope Nokia will release something than can have themes ala T68.

All in all I am very, very pleased with this phone - more so than when I was when I bought a T68. I know the P800 is coming out soon. On paper it's a better phone. I don't understance why people get into this Nokia v Ericsson thing. We need both of them to kick each others asses into making great phones. Trust me, the 7650 is one hell of a phone. I've been using it for 2 months taking snaps and the last week making video clips. I would not have waited for the last 2 or 3 months for a P800. If I was gonna wait for a P800 I might as well wait for 3G,4G or whatever. Not buying the best today for tomorrow sucks! (Unless of course you can only afford one upgrade a year....!)

--
Posted: 2002-10-07 02:39:00
Edit : Quote

wapchimp Posts: > 500

but, do you not feel silly holding a brick to your head - it reminds me of a motorola MR30 - haha - and the one I tested liked to 'reboot' itself aswell - im sorry but im not a fan of the handset - even though it does have excellent features - i was a nokia man before my T68 - but it will take alot to make me change. If you are happy with the handset - then that's all that matters - oh & welcome to esato

[ This Message was edited by: orangeman on 2002-10-07 02:02 ]
--
Posted: 2002-10-07 03:01:00

shithappens Posts: > 500

i totally agree with ya cb55.....it don't matter who builds the better phone.....it's got a lot to do with individual perception too.....of coz i prefer the t68 but again tat's just me!!!

what's more important here is that the manufacturers are faced with immense competition to build even better phones......the individual user benefits in the end.....

cheers.....
--
Posted: 2002-10-07 15:35:00

MrSavoy Posts: 267

I also was a Nokia guy before my T68mi, the 7650 in a nice phone but I would wait on the P800. I will look at the P800 when it comes here to the US but I doubt I will spend 600 or 700 bucks on it. Thats just too much money IMO for any phone/pda. $500 or under I am a player for it. But over all I think the P800 is worth waiting for and I will most likely never go back to Nokia, I love My 68.
--
Posted: 2002-10-14 22:56:00

How do u erase delivery reports on 7650? This post was posted from a T68
--
Posted: 2002-10-15 00:56:00

Froddan Posts: > 500

Quote:
How do u erase delivery reports on 7650?

Go to LOG --> right click joystick --> options --> clear log
--
Posted: 2002-10-15 01:14:00

Cheers holmes This post was posted from a T68
--
Posted: 2002-10-15 01:33:00

kolokoy Posts: 77

the thing that prevents from buying the 7650 is that it looks like a brick...
--
Posted: 2002-11-09 14:11:00

pofromchgo Posts: 59

hey cbs55 did you try a SE t68i? you said you had a t68, there are soo much more features on the t68i as compared to the t68
--
Posted: 2002-11-15 09:17:00

lor Posts: > 500

just upgrade the t68 to t68i software
that's all
--
Posted: 2002-11-15 09:28:00
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index