Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : Vodafone UK unlocking guaranteed?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > Vodafone UK unlocking guaranteed? Bookmark topic
Page12>

honeypea Posts: 7

Hi. I'm being offered a phone on Vodafone, and would need to use it on O2. I would like a K800i, which I understand still can't be unlocked by 3rd parties, so would require an unlock code from Vodafone.

However, every route I've taken to try to get some sense out of Vodafone as to whether *if* I take this phone they will definitely supply me an unlock code (at a price) has failed! It's infuriating. The sales/support people tell me it's no problem, and indeed would be no problem for the notoriously hard to unlock Nokia N series, but when I actually contact my local Voda shop they say unlock codes are "thin on the ground" and they send an email and then say they "can't get one"! I just don't understand this: either they can unlock the phone or not, surely?

I really need to pick a phone in advance that I *know* can be unlocked. Can someone tell me if Vodafone WILL always unlock a phone once got if I pay? How do I know for sure they will be able to?

Finally, if the K800i unlocking isn't guaranteed, does anyone know if the P900i's are locked by Vodafone?

Looking for Vodafone customer knowledge, any appreciated!
--
Posted: 2006-11-06 01:27:45
Edit : Quote

Marly Posts: > 500

Well, I would be careful, if I were you, afaik (but I'm from the Netherlands, not UK) the original owner of the contract has to ask for the unlock code, they won't give it to you.

[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2006-11-06 00:37 ]
--
Posted: 2006-11-06 01:36:13

Oh that's ok - the original owner will happily do this for me. It's all above-board.

The problem is that Vodafone don't actually seem to *have* unlock codes - the shops are telling me they can't get them. I need to understand this before I choose the right phone.

I really don't get it. Can Vodafone really not get unlock codes for their own phones if the customer pays?
--
Posted: 2006-11-06 02:52:19

lewis71980 Posts: 24

Yes you can get unlock codes, from Vodafone. But they aren't always that willing to do it. I paid £20 to orange to get an unlock code for my W800i and they said that they only generally like doing it near the end of contract.

You could make the line up that when your friends mobile phones run out of batteries it is handy that they can just stick their sim in your phone and it will work.
--
Posted: 2006-11-06 12:30:00

Thanks lewis - no line necessary really, it'd be an above-board upgrade on a business account, and they'd be happy to identify me as holder.

But the problem is that Vodafone theoretically say they will unlock for a fee (and don't put time limits on this as Orange etc. might), but in practice when I ask they say they "can't get hold of unlock codes". The employee I spoke to in a Vodashop said he had a K800i and hadn't himself been able to unlock it! He said he could "apply for a code via email" - when he did he said he couldn't get one.

I just don't get this. Does anyone know how this works inside Vodafone? I really need to feel some assurance that if I take a hard-to-unlock phone, Vodafone will indeed unlock it.

Has anyone had trouble getting an unlock code from Vodafone for a fee? Or can anyone report that they *have* managed to get one for a K800i or similar new generation phone on Vodafone?

--
Posted: 2006-11-06 19:51:24

frakker Posts: 263

Normally Vodafone say anything between 21-28 days, typically though it should only take a week to receive your unlock code for your phone.

It's possible to request an NUC from Vodafone customer services by getting in touch via email using the ‘contact us’ option on www.vodafone.co.uk and leaving the short code FIT135 in the body of the email.

You'll just need to provide the following information:

- Make and model of handset
- IMEI number (you can find this by entering * # 0 6 # and pressing send)
- Address including post code
- Account number / security PIN or your Pay As You Talk number

Vodafone then contact the manufacturer to obtain the NUC code. If the handset is under twelve months old then there would typically be a charge of £19.99 to unlock the handset which is either debited from the account (if contract) or needs to be applied onto the handset as calling credit (if pay as you talk). If your handset is over twelve months old then you can get an NUC code free of charge.

You do need to be a Vodafone customer for the code to be requested.
--
Posted: 2006-11-06 20:06:36

Thanks frakker, that's my first real explanation of a proper process for Vodafone! So when a salesman says "unlock codes are thin on the ground for that model" and implies he can't get one, and shops claim they can't, will this method definitely work, irrespective of models? Or are some models still unlockable even by Vodafone themselves?

--
Posted: 2006-11-06 22:36:21

snithe2005 Posts: 2

On 2006-11-06 01:27:45, honeypea wrote:
Hi. I'm being offered a phone on Vodafone, and would need to use it on O2. I would like a K800i, which I understand still can't be unlocked by 3rd parties, so would require an unlock code from Vodafone.

However, every route I've taken to try to get some sense out of Vodafone as to whether *if* I take this phone they will definitely supply me an unlock code (at a price) has failed! It's infuriating. The sales/support people tell me it's no problem, and indeed would be no problem for the notoriously hard to unlock Nokia N series, but when I actually contact my local Voda shop they say unlock codes are "thin on the ground" and they send an email and then say they "can't get one"! I just don't understand this: either they can unlock the phone or not, surely?

I really need to pick a phone in advance that I *know* can be unlocked. Can someone tell me if Vodafone WILL always unlock a phone once got if I pay? How do I know for sure they will be able to?

Finally, if the K800i unlocking isn't guaranteed, does anyone know if the P900i's are locked by Vodafone?

Looking for Vodafone customer knowledge, any appreciated!

--
Posted: 2008-01-16 00:44:39

snithe2005 Posts: 2

unlock code
--
Posted: 2008-01-16 01:06:33

totalgsm Posts: > 500

If i am right , the codes are not always available in the database.
only if its there, they will be able to give you the code.
Previously it was like a couple of months for them to get it.

--
Posted: 2008-01-16 05:50:26
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home