Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : New to Esato? Please read this forum first : debrand or not?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > New to Esato? Please read this forum first > debrand or not? Bookmark topic
Page123>

TaeKwonDo Posts: 15

I have a 1 week old k800i, i was wondering, is it worth me getting rid of all the vodafone guff thats on it, and flashing a "generic" firmware?.also, to satisfy the t&c of my guarantee, if i do debrand, can it be reversed by flashing a uk vodafone firmware?.....
--
Posted: 2007-06-11 20:43:29
Edit : Quote

A L 3 X Posts: > 500

it will e if they cant tell although im not sure whether or not they will, i did mine and its brill now, jus did the hardware:

some pics of b4 and after

Anyone wanna have a guess what camera/camphone i took these with :hehehe:
--
Posted: 2007-06-11 20:57:17

Xen0nflash Posts: 475

I think you should debrand. take the vodafone crap out
--
Posted: 2007-06-11 21:43:30

gaming_guy Posts: > 500

On 2007-06-11 20:57:17, A L 3 X wrote:

Anyone wanna have a guess what camera/camphone i took these with :hehehe:

w810i - i can see the orange mirror
--
Posted: 2007-06-11 21:50:53

A L 3 X Posts: > 500

--
Posted: 2007-06-11 22:33:00

Nanu Posts: > 500

Mine was debranded and updated within an hour of arriving through the door
--
Posted: 2007-06-11 22:38:15

RevoWution Posts: 231

Mine was debranded from the minute I laid my hands on it

I hate branded phones... Esp. SE phones... There seems to be MUCH MUCH more restrictions and sickly Vodafone stuff (argh the color! The red is stinging my eyes!) on SE's than Nokias...
--
Posted: 2007-06-12 11:18:21

downsie Posts: 38

I debranded my k800i using Wotan sourced firmware. I thought everything was great until I started using the bluetooth with my headset & Abacus caller ID watch. I won't bore you with the details but there were serious problems. They were traced to corrupted firmware.

Vodafone reflashed it with their firmware (which is written for them by Sony Ericsson) and the problems disappeared.

To be honest, Vodafone's version is not that bad once you get used to it. The main drawback for me is in theme creation. Themes are slightly different when used on a branded phone - mainly the text message composer page.

I've decided to keep the branding.
--
Posted: 2007-08-28 04:01:58

rally1998 Posts: 8

Hi,

Nooob here.

A Brand New K810i is arriving tomorrow, I'm so excited, with an AWFUL Orange logo under the screen...

How do I go about replacing it with the original SE Cyber Shot? do I need to buy an OEM Shell? Where would I buy that?

Cheers

--
Posted: 2007-09-12 04:20:55

downsie Posts: 38

When we talk of debranding, we mean the software - not the little Orange badge on the case. Anyway, I do agree - it's a nuisance. Buy a genuine shell from any of the reliable internet gadget & gizmo sites and fit it. Mobilefun.com is quite good. If they haven't got one they will probably get one for you if you ask nicely. Be careful - lots of suppliers use words like, "original" and "genuine replacement" but they are NOT Sony Ericsson cases. If it doesn't say it's a genuine Sony Ericsson case, then it isn't.

As for the software, go to Davinciteam.com and buy 1 credit for 10 Euros.
They will send you a username & password, which will allow you to run a flash file that you will download from their site. That file will debrand your phone but it will remain locked to the Orange network.

Just follow the instructions. It's a piece of cake.

Top Tip: Make sure your computer has the latest usb drivers for your phone. They are available from the Sony Ericsson site or Davinci. Some drivers that were shipped with the phones (on disc) by Sony Ericsson were the wrong ones.

BTW, I changed my mind about debranding my Vodafone k800. I used Davinci to do it and it was too easy for words.

[ This Message was edited by: downsie on 2007-11-01 10:12 ]
--
Posted: 2007-11-01 10:35:58
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home