Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : Anyone know about HLR's - sepcifically Orange HLR's?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > Anyone know about HLR's - sepcifically Orange HLR's? Bookmark topic
Page12>

Wuz Posts: 319

My problem - my n95 8gb has suddenly lost the ability to get online using gprs/3g. (I can however connect using wlan and make/receive phone calls and texts.).

I have discounted all obvious possible issues in tandem with Orange tech support.

I now believe the problem maybe connected to my Orange HLR (Home Location Register).

Q. Could I be on the right track?
Q. If so, how long will it likely take to resolve (its been 3 days thus far)?
Q. Anything i can do to resolve quickly or am I at the mercy of Orange's timetable?
Q. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance.
--
Posted: 2008-05-28 01:08:18
Edit : Quote

bump
--
Posted: 2008-05-28 19:12:05

lovewalrus Posts: 480

What audibale or visual error messages do you get when you try and make a call? Or send a text?

This message was posted from a N95
--
Posted: 2008-05-28 19:19:30

As stated, I can make/receive calls and texts.

The problem relates to gprs/3g connectivity. There are no errors messages, justs hangs on 'connecting'.
--
Posted: 2008-05-28 21:05:29

Sorry, misread your post. To be honest, doesn't sound like a profile error on the HLR, as it would give you an error message saying contact service provider or service not allowed. Sounds more like an error on the web server as it's not respondin to the request from your mobile-would ask them to do a full refresh on your account! Can you send MMS ok?

--
Posted: 2008-05-29 00:49:58

On 2008-05-29 00:49:58, lovewalrus wrote:
Sorry, misread your post. To be honest, doesn't sound like a profile error on the HLR, as it would give you an error message saying contact service provider or service not allowed. Sounds more like an error on the web server as it's not respondin to the request from your mobile-would ask them to do a full refresh on your account! Can you send MMS ok?

No, I can't seem to send MMS either - hadn't checked until you pointed it out.
You cite 'sounds like an error on the web server'... I'm not really sure I fully understand this. Presumably this would be network related? If so, how come other users are not being effected? -Ive hcecked various forums and can find no indication that this has effected other Orange users.

Any further feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
--
Posted: 2008-05-29 03:08:44

Every customer has a profile on the HLR and on there customer data base-in theory they both should match up with what services you can use. Everytime you try to make a call or send a sms or web etc, your SIM serial number and your IMSI must 1st be authenticated by the HLR before a connection is allowed. Considerin u can't send MMS,it sounds like either your profile on the HLR is corrupt (which usually takes upto 72hrs to rectify, or the customer data base and HLR show a conflict! Providin cust services have checked the later, then refreshin ur profile on the HLR should be all thats needed-a 2min job in theory! Hope this makes sense?

--
Posted: 2008-05-29 07:14:54

JiSm Posts: 404

I have seen this a few times. Its normally a sim problem! Especially on newer phones. Have you tried another Orange SIM? Give that a go. Pop down to your local store and ask one of the staff to try their store sim.
--
Posted: 2008-05-29 10:57:15

lovewalrus - thank you for your comments. What you say makes sense and is beginning to tally with another orange user I have been speaking to on the nokia discussion forum. The question now is getting it sorted. Armed with your advice, I will ring up orange tech support, and 25 minutes later, will attempt to explain to the srcipt reader who answers the call.

JISm - Thanks for your input. It maybe the sim, but I think what lovewalrus is saying is actually the root cause of the problem. Appreciate your input.
--
Posted: 2008-05-29 13:11:52

lovewalrus - I have now spoken to Orange customer services. The lady read a note from the screen which stated that 'there is a rpoblem with the mast that my phone is attached to. All users connected with this mast are experiencing the same problems (i.e. can't get online). It is being treated as high priority.' When I asked how long it would take to resolve, bearing in mind the problem has now been ongoing for 4/5 days, I was told that information was not available.

Q. Does this accord with your comments re HLR's or is a 'mast' problem something different?
Q. Have you had any experience with this type of issue and if so, can you provide an indiaction of how long it took to rectify?

Your input much appreciated.
--
Posted: 2008-05-29 14:49:52
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home