Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : Can O2 detect if I use my mobile as a PC modem?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > Can O2 detect if I use my mobile as a PC modem? Bookmark topic
Page12>

Sammy_boy Posts: > 500

I've currently got O2's 'umlimited' data tarriff bolt-on on my contract, which I use with my N95 quite a lot.

Now, I am just about to start 3 night shifts, and am thinking of taking my laptop with me and connecting my N95 (I know, sorry! ) to it and use it as a modem during my break and slack periods to do some light surfing and perhaps IM (If anyone's awake lol!). Nothing heavy, and shouldn't take me over the 'fair usage' limit hopefully.

I believe O2's terms and conditions for the unlimited data bolt-on prohibit you from using your phone as a modem - will O2 realise or notice if I do use it, i.e. can the detect if/when my phone is being used as a modem? And if they do, what could they do to me? Extra charges, take the tarriff away from me, put me on a more expensive one? I don't think I'd be using my laptop away from home enough to merit getting a 3G USB dongle and monthly tarriff, I couldn't justify £20 or whatever it is a month for what little use it would get!

Or, could I ring them and tell them what I'm doing, would they be OK with it?
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:20:07
Edit : Quote

number1 Posts: > 500

i wouldn't try it, it's against the terms conditions so 02 could do what they like, first you receive a warning text then you will be charged for the extra mb's you use and at 02's prices it won't be cheap.
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:24:22

Can they detect though how the phone is used, or do they only send these warnings after you go over the 'fair use' limit?
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:52:22

goldenface Posts: > 500

I tried with my laptop and t-mobile sim and unbranded K850i but received an error message saying the operator would not assign an address.

The only time I was able to connect, funnily enough, was when I was using a t-mobile sim with an O2 branded handset (k850i). Not sure why but it worked.

--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:01:37

darrengf Posts: > 500

Yes o2 can detect it.

It dials to a different system when you use a laptop or desktop computer.
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:24:46

I've just downloaded and installed the Nokia PC suite, and tried a trial connection of the N95, which worked perfectly! I didn't try any browsing or downloading or anything though, just let it connect, then a few seconds later disconnected it again. So far no texts or calls from O2, though not sure if that's because I didn't actually do any browsing.

I might look into getting a cheap 3G dongle for the laptop, see how cheap the monthly rates are.
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:28:53

masseur Posts: > 500

@darrengf,

when connecting with gprs or 3g, the "dial" string is the same in both cases, i.e. something in the form of *99***n# (or simply *99# for the first defined data account)

how does it know to connect to a different system if you're sending that command from a laptop or from the phone?
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:33:03

You will be fine with that.

so dont panic or worry
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:34:41

On 2008-07-14 15:34:41, darrengf wrote:
You will be fine with that.

so dont panic or worry

@masseur
On my pc it uses a string command that is differnt to the phone. I have used it on my pc to which i asked o2 for the settings.

The gentleman advised me the settings and said that as long as you dont abuse it and only use it every now and again to check like the news, weather etc then i would be fine.

It comes up on my bill as o2 web mobile however o2 gprs cylce runs once a day on the bill.

and if i say i use my mobile and computer

it shows 2 gprs usage in the same day and not one when i stop and start my mobile phone during the day.

Hope that makes sense
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:38:37

paul101 Posts: > 500

why not get a "3" mobile broadband usb stick??
--
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:40:31
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home