Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : Orange left trailing behind O2
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > Orange left trailing behind O2 Bookmark topic
Bonovox Posts: > 500

Orange UK has been under more pressure recently when it revealed that it had only managed a mere 1,000 new customers in the period April to June this year. Whereas O2 in the same period netted 275,000 new customers. It was the worst period in history for Orange for new customers as pressure mounts with O2 releasing the new 3G iphone. Also Orange is keen to follow O2s route with regards to handset subsidy. With the current market slow down networks O2 and Orange have been concerned about the price of expensive phones like the Nokia N95 on cheap tariffs. O2 is now only offering that phone free on £75 tariff. More at www.mobiletoday.co.uk
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 22:42:00
Edit : Quote

aasimtom Posts: 165

BRR
Do you think its a good strategy of both the networks and by doing so would they be able to attract more customers; I don't think so. But as you mentioned N95B free on £75, they are absolutely crazy because 3UK is giving it away for £24 a month for free.

But I heard that O2 have lost too much during the sales of iphone, thats why they have adopted this strategy. Regarding this price hike below is the post which was made by one of our member who works for O2, Mr. Daedalus85 Says;

"
Everyone thinks it's just O2 being mad, but there's a reason for the price hike, and it's not permanent.....

When the iPhone 3G launched, it crashed O2's credit check system for a couple of days, meaning we had to give the phones, not just iPhones but any phone, to people regardless if they were going to pass the credit check or not.

As a result, O2 lost a small fortune in phones as they'd given them to customers who then when they tried to connect later on, got declined and they got away scot-free with a new phone worth several hundred pounds.

The price hike is simply to recover some of that lost cost. It will not be forever, and they've picked the highest value phones that are also the most popular to change the prices. "

Regards
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 23:02:23

Good god can you imagine getting away with the free iphone. But would they not have the customers details in store. Crazy. I had a feeling Orange would follow suit though quite why they are doing it is unsure cos they are losing customers and hardly gaining any. Its a shame as Orange were once so good they need new man at the top who knows what he is doing. But seriously even though O2 lost money with the iphone cock up i seriously doubt it will affect them that much the profits networks make is billions. It was also said T Mobile has lost 380,000 customers. Bet everyone is going to O2 and in the long term O2 will be overloaded and things then get worse. Lol
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 23:22:00

Daedalus85 Posts: > 500

Even if they do have the customers details in store, what are they going to do with it? Send the baliffs round to get it back? I think not.

Anyway, apparently most if not all iPhone customers got connected after the launch, so apparently it's not that to blame in the end.
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 23:25:13

Hang on a minute. Was it not completely stupid of O2 to give phones away without a credit check system working. Surely they would have saved money by asking customers to come back and just not sell any contracts until its sorted. O2 only really got themselves to blame.
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 23:28:00

aasimtom Posts: 165

BRR

Yeah that's what made me astonished and would you believe it my friends were laughing at me for saying this about O2. But to tell you the truth one of my mate got 2 iphones, i don't know how he did it but one is from O2 and the other from CPW. How silly is that. They need a big slap for that.

Regards
--
Posted: 2008-08-07 23:35:13

Thats like walking into a shop and them saying EXCUSE ME WOULD YOU LIKE A FREE PHONE. Surely if credit check systems are not working they should have just told everyone to come back not just give out the phones. Thats one BIG cock up that is. Like taking candy from a baby. You would not walk into Currys and go for a big screen tv on credit and be given the tv despite their credit check systems down. Oh my god. All O2 were worried about was their reputation. LOL.
--
Posted: 2008-08-08 05:55:00

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home