Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Windows Mobile : Why dont i like WM?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Why dont i like WM? Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

myth® Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-01 10:16:25, carrier1 wrote:
The new, more userfriendly ui replacements can mislead wm noobs - the phones are easy to use, don't look like wm, and casual users such as paul don't feel the need to really familiarise themselves with the os, which leads to the misplaced anger and frustration.

He is complaining about WM's UI (functionality of the close button, contacts, etc.), not about the TF features, while the 1st gen TF interface is a very light implementation, which imo does not prevent you from learning the basics of the default WM UI anyway.

but I think wm noobs should maybe start out on a really basic device, to learn the ropes

That''s what he has and is complaining about: the HTC Touch

--
Posted: 2008-11-01 11:31:46
Edit : Quote

paul101 Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-01 10:16:25, carrier1 wrote:
@jah
You are right.
But another problem that casual wm users such as paul here may easily miss is similar to what causes problems on MS desktops: one must keep the registry 'clean', empty the browser cache and temp files etc etc... On a java or s60 you can try out many apps, then uninstall them etc and hardly feel a difference. Doing that on a wm phone leads very quickly indeed to sluggish behaviour. Trying a few apps and browsing a bit using pocket IE or opera mobile can easily steal half the phone's mem in a couple of days, and lead to freezes.
The new, more userfriendly ui replacements can mislead wm noobs - the phones are easy to use, don't look like wm, and casual users such as paul don't feel the need to really familiarise themselves with the os, which leads to the misplaced anger and frustration. The X1 is nice, but I think wm noobs should maybe start out on a really basic device, to learn the ropes
A wm device can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It's what you do with/to it, that matters.

cleaning the regis... ???

i have better things to do with my time. you shouldn't need to do that with a PHONE
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 12:53:32

Nanu Posts: > 500

Glad to see your "Copy & Paste" is working Paul!

Why don't you write a review using your own words and findings?

http://216.239.59.104/search?[....]nk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wh[....]are-going-to-fix-it-333536.php
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 14:21:27

masseur Posts: > 500

I've never cleaned the registry, I have done quite a few nice "tweaks" in the registry though! and thats something thats not too easy on other phones
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 14:40:59

fatreg Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-01 14:21:27, Nanu wrote:
Glad to see your "Copy & Paste" is working Paul!

Why don't you write a review using your own words and findings?

http://216.239.59.104/search?[....]nk&cd=2&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wh[....]are-going-to-fix-it-333536.php

teeheeeheeeheeheehee
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 14:44:35

carrier1 Posts: 10

Oh, pity that paul just wanted to rant.
A waste of time.
troll
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 14:46:59

fatreg Posts: > 500

On 2008-10-31 18:49:15, paul101 wrote:
can i wet a blanket??

yes!

I do love editing quotes..

--
Posted: 2008-11-01 15:42:31

Dogmann Posts: > 500

Hi all,

Isn't this all beginning to get a little more than silly with those attacking an OS and those defending an OS all having valid points.

Why can't we all just realise that there is no perfect OS for all same as there is no perfect device for all. We are all different so what some of us find acceptable to optimise a device and make it run smoothly others just don't want to have to do this.

I have to just accept the fact that WM is not the best OS for me which doesn't make it bad or rubbish just not for me is all. If others find it suits them best fair enough but these are usually the same people that will claim S60 or UIQ is rubbish instead of just accepting it's not best for them.

At least i actually try a device and OS before deciding and if asked i can explain exactly why it isn't right for me but just because it's not right for me doesn't mean it isn't the best for others. Nor should what i like and find to be best be best for anyone or everyone else either.

This one manufacturer or one OS is always best for all is just totally absurd and unrealistic as quite simply if this was true we would all be using the same device and OS and there would be no need for all the choices we have.

Quite simply if you don't like a OS or device then just don't use it and find the one that suits you best and use that.

I really don't understand why anyone feels that what is best and right for them has to be for every body else and anything else automatically has to be rubbish.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-01 17:23 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 18:19:43

myth® Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-01 18:19:43, Dogmann wrote:
there is no perfect device for all.

So you're saying that visiting a WM forum and saying 'WM is bullsh*t'' makes as little sense as regularly visiting a UIQ forum (for the past 1-2 years now) just in order to remind UIQ users what a useless piece of junk a device without HSDPA late 2006/2007/2008 is ?

I agree.

Silly or not, as long as there are attackers, there will always be some defenders.
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 19:17:37

carrier1 Posts: 10

@dogman,
Your are right.
However, you are so very diplomatic. I don't see the point of an obvious rant, when the original poster has absolutely no interest in what he is ranting about. If you read back, you'll find that almost every single reply made more sense than the rant by someone who probably just hates windows anyways. Paul, assuming he actually has a Touch, either just wanted his bad opinion of wm confirmed when he bought(?) the device and therefore made no effort to learn about the os. Or, in his opinion all phones should be exactly like the one he likes, only better
When s.o. bangs that much rubble on one side of the scale, you have to expect others to exert some extra pressure on the other side.
Your common sense standards are high and don't apply...
Unfortunately!
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 19:40:20
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home