Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Windows Mobile : Why dont i like WM?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Why dont i like WM? Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

Mr Miyagi Posts: > 500

One of my reasons for not going for the x1, omnia is windowz OS. Thats why I just prefer Apple so much better than windowz. Sorry for the hijack of the threat. Just thought I throw in my thought
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 20:40:21
Edit : Quote

Dogmann Posts: > 500

@Myth

I didn't just turn up in UIQ3 threads declaring it was rubbish and having never used a single UIQ3 device either. What i did do was pointed out why UIQ was no longer viable for me and what IMO it was missing something that i was not alone in holding that opinion on either. I was only countering the absurd declarations that UIQ3 was best and the many claims of how it was going to be better than anything else with mysterious devices that failed to see the light of day. Which after the recent announcement of Motorola canning their UIQ range we will never see.

Hell i loved and used UIQ right up to UIQ3 which to me was slow and missing much needed features. Now maybe over the last two years and as now i am not in so much pain i have mellowed a lot and my anger at being let down has diminished. As in life you need to evolve with the changing times and what our devices offer. Despite what many where happy to claim about me be being this huge Nokia fan i don't even own one and actually only used S60 for a little over 2 years.

At least i tried the X1 to see if it suited me or not and perhaps you have managed to miss all the positive things i have said about it and SE. So again I'm not quite this massive SE hater either but i do comment on how i find things not based just on who made them or what OS they are running.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-01 22:08 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-01 22:22:13

myth® Posts: > 500

Marc,

I did not miss your detailed and factual posts about the X1 and why, despite being overall an excellent device, it had to return in its box and I must say, I liked it.

I wish that you could've presented the same factual and positive attitude in the UIQ section, but instead you dropped in every once in a while and always told us the same story of how rubbish UIQ products are.

As you said, there is no perfect device for all, and if someone prefers to use a UIQ product despite its weaknesses or shortcomings, there must be a reason for it and you, dear Marc, should be able to show a little respect or simply ignore or stay away from the UIQ user group & forum and express your disappointments for SE elsewhere, as your comments in the forum really did not take us any further.
--
Posted: 2008-11-02 10:23:53

Dogmann Posts: > 500

@Mtyh

Sorry but UIQ is now firmly in the past and all those things that were missing in 2006 never found there way into UIQ. So no it was not possible to compliment UIQ on getting HSDPA or faster processors or using larger screens as that never happened did it?

Hopefully as SE have shown with the X1 that they can deliver a well built device with all the latest spec's they will do this with their next Symbian based devices and they may still have something of UIQ in the UI as really that's the best UIQ fans can now hope for IMO.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-02 15:42 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-02 16:41:21

carrier1 Posts: 10

I thought this was about paul hating wm? ???
--
Posted: 2008-11-02 16:47:01

Mizzle Posts: > 500

I've maybe used the stylus 5 times during my 2 weeks with X1. It's not that bad
--
Posted: 2008-11-02 16:53:46

Nanu Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-02 16:47:01, carrier1 wrote:
I thought this was about paul hating wm? ???

This was about Paul pointing out that somebody else doesn't like WM and that he agreed!

But forgot to give credit to the original author.
--
Posted: 2008-11-02 17:36:45

makbil Posts: > 500

I've been a UIQ user since the P800 and still have my P990 and P1 as well as a Tytn II.
The biggest advantage WM has is the enormous amount of software available for it, us UIQ users are not used to such big numbers
I have installed a number of programs on my Tytn II and as a result it is totally finger friendly and has almost none of the restrictions inherent in the Microsoft Mobile OS. I can even say that with three exceptions my WM device is easier to use than my P1, the exceptions being hand writing recognition, battery life and the number of fields in contacts.
As far as WM devices are concerned, I prefer to stick with HTC for the time being for the simple reason that HTC devices seem to be the standard on which WM is based, so there are no compatibility issues unlike most of the other brands. I have already upgraded my Tytn II to WM 6.1. I'm not sure if such upgrades will be possible for X1 based on past experience with SE.
--
Posted: 2008-11-03 22:17:21

mattiL Posts: 120

There's absolutely no need to clean the registry on the X1!

They have the excellent Hard Reset feature, seems to solve several problems on this phone...

I had problems with file transfer over USB being interrupted, crashes in different parts of the system (like file manager and other apps, fault reporter seems to work reliably though ; ) )

I've read somewhere that the reasons for some crashes may be SBP Mobile Shell (full version) and Hard Reset solved these problems.

After the last Hard Reset I installed the SBP Panel instead, no crashes yet (2 days and counting).

(of course, make sure you have a backup of your address book and other important stuff before using this feature)

Regarding general use of the phone, like trying to make a call. Yes, using the contacts list without the pen is a mess, especially as the virtual keyboard is useless without the pen. And the swedish phones lacks text recognition.

Scrolling the contacts list is nice looking, but it would be nice if the scrolling stopped a bit fasters (instead of scolling the whole list all the time).

No, I would say making a call or sending an SMS is no one handed task.
Way easier on my trusty p990i (or p910 or p800).

And I have not even started on the bluetooth #?!**!! funtionality yet..
--
Posted: 2008-11-04 20:23:22

carrier1 Posts: 10

'no need to clean the registry', right?!

You are very much mistaken! Have you ever removed a program on xp or vista using MS's add/remove feature? Have ou ever checked afterwards for 'junk' using ccleaner or revo? That is exactly what happens with wm! Try a programme like MemMaid before you turn your wishful thinking into a stated 'fact'!
In fact, you don't need to remove a program from your x1 to create junk keys. All it takes is changing the order of items in the start menu. Etc etc etc etc... The 'w' in wm stands for 'windows'! If you don't want to see yourself whining about the sluggishness that's affecting your x1 in a couple of months, or the failure to start new programs or re-installed programs somewhere down the line, you better take off the pink glasses.
Your wm X1 will give you joy for some time yet, but YES: if you don't take care of uninstall junk etc, you will soon have a much slower X1!
And have a look at some samsung omnia forums, where peeps suddenly find their once fast phone strangely slowed down... It's not voodoo
--
Posted: 2008-11-05 09:48:29
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home