Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Windows Mobile : Why does the X1 need so many Tweaks to run smoothly?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Why does the X1 need so many Tweaks to run smoothly? Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

aksd Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-24 07:31:43, WhyBe wrote:
Tweakability is great, but, it should always be an option and not a requirement...especially in the iPhone era.
I don't want to spend more time tweaking than using.

@aksd:
Haven't seen you in a while. I thought you were either in jail, tired of us, pregnant or D-All of the above

LOL! I missed you too old chap . I've moved country, am in the UK now, doing my Masters so not much time to come online.

BTW I got a TOuch HD rather than the X1 .

Lke I said the X1 is no where close to an iPhone competitor(for the end user), enjoy it for what its worth and the tweaking is part of the parcel.
--
Posted: 2008-11-25 03:37:56
Edit : Quote

max_wedge Posts: > 500

good to see you back aksd!

I will probably get an X1 primarily for the formfactor. The curved slide and the general ergonomics.

I also think the X1 camera, while not as good as SE other platforms, is pretty damn good for a winmo.

Also, as disapointing lack of dlna (or tv out) it's not a feature I plan to use mcuh so I won't miss it. Like you say with winmo tweaking is the order of the day.

I accept Dogmann's point's but I also have to say I've tweaked every winmo phone I own to get it to perform the way I like it. There always seems to be some major problem that has to be tweaked away. But yet I still count the winmo platform as my favourite mobile OS. A200 comes close second, and is actually better for a mobile phone, but if you want flexibility winmo wins out overall.

--
Posted: 2008-11-25 04:55:34

anonymuser Posts: > 500

I think the problem with the X1 is it was pitched as a mass-market, consumer friendly phone, with SE supposedly waving their magic wand over WinMo and turning it into some super-slick interface with those brilliant active panels and SE style etc... and what's actually been delivered really is just a bog standard WM device. Yes the screen is good etc, but it really is just plain old WM underneath, with the same need for tweaks and fixes, the same user-unfriendliness in places, and the panels? Just a shortcut system, nothing more.

It's not (as some were hoping) an iPhone killer, it's not even a Touch Pro or a Touch HD killer, it's just another windows mobile phone with precious little SE influence.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-11-25 09:59 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-25 10:58:07

MyP910 Posts: 500

1. Am I using different phone ? I haven't done any tweaking to my xperia. Why must I tweak, when I have no problem with it ?

2. I don't know if doing the following is called tweak :-

a. I've installed tomtom navigator 7 and really really love it. Its very fast (maybe because I'm comparing with tomtom on P990). The GPS detection is very fast, faster than my Holux GPS receiver.

b. I've installed palringo for all my instant messaging (YM and MSN).

c. I've installed youtube and really love it. I can save the youtube file and can extract to MP3.

d. I've installed voice commander. I use quite frequently to check the battery level (because I want to hear the battery percentage).

e. I've installed SJphone and now I can use voipbuster to call abroad for free.

f. I've installed blackstone keyboard and start bar (finger friendly).

so, I'm not sure if the above is called tweaking. I've been using the phone for about a month....and running perfectly.

3. To talk about other winmo phone, my friend who use HTC touch pro is surprise with the speed of xperia compared to his phone.

--
Posted: 2008-11-25 22:14:03

max_wedge Posts: > 500

On 2008-11-25 10:58:07, Boinng wrote:
I think the problem with the X1 is it was pitched as a mass-market, consumer friendly phone, with SE supposedly waving their magic wand over WinMo and turning it into some super-slick interface with those brilliant active panels and SE style etc... and what's actually been delivered really is just a bog standard WM device. Yes the screen is good etc, but it really is just plain old WM underneath, with the same need for tweaks and fixes, the same user-unfriendliness in places, and the panels? Just a shortcut system, nothing more.

It's not (as some were hoping) an iPhone killer, it's not even a Touch Pro or a Touch HD killer, it's just another windows mobile phone with precious little SE influence.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-11-25 09:59 ]

you are right but imho anyone who believes marketing hype deserves to be disappointed in my view. Why would anyone believe X1 is the next iphone?? I mean every touch interface lately is lauded as the next iphone, but so far none of them have come even close.

I don't think SE's marketing has been anymore or less inaccurate than any other OEM. I mean even the new Nokia Music Express touch screen is being lauded as iphone-esque but let's wait and see, what's the bet it's nothing like iphone.

I may be a bit harsh here but I haved learnt long ago, and I thought any rational reasonable human would have learnt also, that marketing is always a big fat lie to be ignored at best.

Spec sheet and user experience/reviews are the only useful ways to assess a new product before purchase (and a hands on demo if at all possible).

X1 IS a winmo, and to expect anything else is a little niaive.
--
Posted: 2008-11-26 03:30:01

Ves Posts: 12

On 2008-11-23 13:09:59, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all,

Now please don't get the wrong idea about this thread it is not about bashing the X1 it is about trying to understand it though.

Now i know most of these tweaks are quite simple and in fact due to the hard work of some they have even been combined into one package.

But my question is this why does the X1 need these in the first place when very similar devices like the Touch Pro or Touch HD don't. Both of those still have a need to be tweaked to perform better but they don't seem to need tweaks to address the same issues as the X1 has.

What i am talking about is the Tweaks and fixes like the ones below not the tweaks adding additional functionality such as Touch Flo 3D or additional keyboards or panles.

Bluetooth turning off with MortScript

Xperia Tweak not all of it but some of it.

Data connection/auto disconnect tweak.

As all three devices are running WM6.1 and have very similar hardware and this is why i can't really understand why some of these problems are only on the X1. Anyone have a good explanation of why?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-23 12:11 ]

The things your naming, don't happen to every X1 owner. Though the loudest voice their irritation about it, there are many who don't have these issue or all of them.

--
Posted: 2008-11-26 09:59:10

Dogmann Posts: > 500

@Ves and My P910

Well if that's true the situation is even more strange then how can it only effect most but not all then? Maybe you are all getting different devices after all? Or just maybe some aren't even really using these functions so you don't notice or perceive these problems at all.

@My P910

In your list you don't mention one of the things that is effected and needs a fix. How about when Web Browsing can you get it to use your WiFi or will it just choose the 3G connection anyway? or do you just not care or know?

Do you use a Bluetooth Headset to even notice it doesn't hold a connection?

Do you have any E-Mail accounts set up? are they set to auto retrieve? and if so what Data connection do they use? and are you in control of when it connects or not?

Lastly is yours a Sim Free or branded unit?

So you see it's all very well saying you have no problems if you just don't use any of those features as you haven't come across or noticed them. As from what you typed as your use i can't see why you wanted a smartphone either but of course it's your money and choice.

Now if you think it's only a few people that have had these problems or needed to use the Xperia tweaks i suggest you check out XDA Forum and http://www.xperiax1.net/ to get a more balanced view then.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-26 12:24 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-26 13:12:51

goldenface Posts: > 500

That link seems to be broken for me Marc.

Is it working for anyone else?

--
Posted: 2008-11-26 13:23:03

SE-Naz Posts: > 500

THe link works for me

Cheers
ENJOY
--
Posted: 2008-11-26 13:25:18

Dogmann Posts: > 500

@Goldenface

Should work now as i used a capital X instead of lower case as was doing it from memory and now copied and pasted.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-26 12:26 ]
--
Posted: 2008-11-26 13:26:15
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home