Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Nokia N86 8MP vs Sony Ericsson C905
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Nokia N86 8MP vs Sony Ericsson C905 Bookmark topic
Page <  12345>

mlife Posts: > 500

On 2010-03-21 21:00:54, jake20 wrote:
my theory is that if dual LED works so well, then why does every single REAL camera have a xenon flash?
I don't see any Nikon's or Cannon's coming out with Dual LED flash's instead of xenon's...

Simply put... flash to subject distance vs power consumption.... on a camera phone you rarely shoot a subject further than 5 or 10ft which require flash... full size cameras require the extra power of high power strobes to shoot subjects at greater distance and to fill larger areas. So why waste the extra battery on a xenon when LED is WAY MORE efficent and will often produce the same (if not better in some circumstance) results.

I am not knocking the N86, and I think its clear that the images produced are better than the C905 for the most part.
But I could just see myself needing to snap a shot at night requiring a bright flash, and being out of luck because the dual led's are not up to the task.

What if however you didn't need flash at all? My point is, in most night scenes where the C905a may turn its flash on the low light ability of the N86 would not even require flash.... other than for fill... why not desire that Sony put a better and/or larger sensor or larger f/stop in the phone to increase low light ability...

Daylight shots are still pretty darn good on the C905, so its not like they are total crap next to the N86, and with the modded DM3.8 driver, you can really get some great looking pics.

Actually, I find that the daylight shots are indeed very close and anyone looking at either of these phones would not at all be dissappointed with the sony or nokia results for real world use (ie printing 5x7 or or posting to social network site) where you are likely to see NO difference at all (excluding pixel peepers).

Lets not also forget that the N86 is around $100 to $150 more than the C905. Thats a lot $$ if you are primarily concerned with just the camera, and not all the bells and whistles that come along with a smartphone.

I 100% agree.... dollar for dollar I believe the C905a is a WAY better value.

I think eventually one day I will pick up the N86, but for right now the C905 seems to hit that sweet spot for me.
Just my opinions of course

Had I not been the "see for myself" type.... and I knew what I know now, I don't believe I would have purchased the N86 for image quality when compared to the C905a... the cost/benefit is simply not there.... You can't go wrong with the C905a if your wanting the most bang for your buck!
[ This Message was edited by: jake20 on 2010-03-22 01:34 ]

--
Posted: 2010-03-23 15:14:57
Edit : Quote

bobbywomack Posts: 24

Wtf ,xenon flash is not important??For those who say that:
Go and buy one Canon or Nikon,after a month post again ,im interested to see what will be your opinion then...Both ,leds and xenon have their purpose.But dont say 'led is beter than xenon' or things like this,simply bec. It's not true. You can use the xenon flash even at daylight conditions.
Btw,SE should make bigger aperture,f/2 will be awesome .If some one needs to use the phone for astrophotography...

--
Posted: 2010-05-24 18:13:18

mriley Posts: > 500

Bigger sensor, bigger+smaller aperture, equivalent S,P and A modes is what is needed, it's also what will never happen.
IMO the Nokia N86 is one of the best camera phones ever made (non flash pics)
--
Posted: 2010-05-24 20:13:57

@mriley
It is just a mater of time ,the miracle to hapen.I'll wait for something like 'Canon' phone with 5x optical zoom ,also it will be good if you can change the lens .(Canon 18mpx phone,quadcore 2,5GHz ,full hd at 150 fps or more and superb batery life '10Ah,7V'). .You think it will never hapen?With todays speed of changing ,i say probably in the next 15 years my dream for cameraphone with fullframe sensor will be reality.btw see this:
http://www.yenra.com/samsung-camera-phone/
--
Posted: 2010-05-24 22:58:12

Yeah I have seen those types if phones with optical zoom, but aren't those phones just phone-cameras instead of camera-phones? You say that in around 15 years time camera-phones will be much better (I agree with you there) and will have amazing features of proper cameras like interchangeable lenses. (you're joking right? )
I don't think it will ever happen because there is already something about there with all this: the compact camera. Cameras on phones sounds great, but they will never compete with anything above them like compact cameras, there just isn't enough space and wouldn't it be a disgrace to the company that made the compact camera if the camera-phone had better image quality? The compact camera's only purpose is to take good photos, the phone also has to be a good phone.
If you cross both gadgets together there has to be some compromise somewhere, either in the camera or the phones features. I used to think the same as you, but I don't anymore
Camera phone's are about convenience to capture the moment where a big hefty SLR wouldn't let you, but compact cameras are just as convenient around the same size.
This is the one i want

--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:14:14

I agree with you. But I still think there will be such a phone.But it must be very big and probably will look ugly.There are cameras for this purpose.

--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:26:27

If there is such a phone it will be pointless
--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:38:29

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Matt Sony lenses is poo go for one with NO Sony lens.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2010-05-24 22:46 ]

--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:45:06

i picked that one because i read all the reviews for it compared to the others
--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:53:00

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Oh right well perhaps they have improved then cos my eldest brother recently had one with a Sony lens & the picture quality was dreadful. Though that model you shown is one with the new Exmor processer inside. That should be good. About time Sony started doing the wide angle in compacts it's good to see they are.
--
Posted: 2010-05-24 23:56:37
Page <  12345>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home