Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Nokia : Nokia reports historic quarterly loss
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia reports historic quarterly loss Bookmark topic
Page123>

masseur Posts: > 500

Telegraph

The Finnish telecoms company collapsed from a €1.6bn (£1.4bn) pre-tax profit in the first quarter of 2008 to a €12m pre-tax loss in the first three months of this year.

Revenue slumped 27pc to €9.3bn (£8.2bn) as 18m fewer mobiles were sold – a drop of 19pc to 93.2m handsets.

Nokia's share of the global mobile phone market dropped from 39pc to 37pc.
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 14:21:38
Edit : Quote

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Oh dear even the top ones are suffering though they still got a massive share.
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 18:25:00

snoFlake Posts: 119

Cack phones with lame touch UI all so 2007, a la SE not kept up with changing game. N97 big streaming pile of excressence for supposed flagship at the price (5800 many faults but more acceptable for it's price/feature ratio). N900 looks better OS but both SE and Nokia not got many months before choo choo gone and SF^2 isn't going to make blind bit of difference customers don't understand the UI and just wonder why it doesn't work like mate's "sexy" iPhone without having to think about it. Personally I think it's a tragedy and we're going to all end up being pushed into iPhone clones which I don't want at all because the other manufacturers have made such a balls up of creating alternatives.

But the N97 is truly lame; hardware design faults - lame proccy, shortage ram and inadequate C:. Manufacturing faults - self detructing cam cover and no idea where u are GPS. And not fit for release 1.0 firmware where is 2.0 and why didn't the UK get corrected 1.2 release eh?? Gonna show in the results sooner or later - not much "Halo effect" there unless it's a brown ring
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 19:27:54

goldenface Posts: > 500

If the N97 is their self proclaimed flagship then they have a lot to worry about.
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 22:28:13

Muhammad-Oli Posts: > 500

Yeah Nokia's portfolio was pretty terrible this year. The N900 looks nice but it's not out yet, but apparently they have better things to come so this quarter or next year might be better for them. It all depends on how much better the competition does though, especially HTC which seems to be thriving at the moment.
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 22:42:58

SnoFlake i dont think its going to be the end of Nokia like they are completely doomed. SonyEricsson remember went through and are still coming out of a rough patch. They are still surviving and i think Nokia will just keep going improving and learning from their mistakes like SonyEricsson have. I am not saying i am some big Nokia fan boy as people always call it i love both manufacturers. But i think they just need to get rid of Symbian. I think the n86 is their best this year and so far seems stable. I have had a few of their phones this year and i have had zero problems with them.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-10-15 22:27 ]
--
Posted: 2009-10-15 23:19:00

carkitter Posts: > 500

Nokia should concentrate more on the USA market. In 2008 they made nearly as much out of Brazil as they did from the USA. The USA accounts for only 4% of Nokia's market share, while Europe accounts for 37% and yet where do all the best phones come from at the moment?
iPhone - USA
Blackberry - Canada
Palm Pre - USA
Google Android platform - USA (devices from many different countries)

If Nokia (and ) concentrate on devices for the richest, most tech savvy country in the world and adapt them for other markets I think that will be a winning formula. Otherwise Nokia are in for a hard time; their profits are rising a little (quarter on quarter) this year but the difference with last year is staggering and EURO700m in cost savings is not going to be enough to stem the tide. I'd love to see a breakdown of Q3 sales to see if they are losing their dominance in the low end or whether this is a slide into oblivion for the N-series/E-series.
--
Posted: 2009-10-16 00:08:22

Muhammad-Oli Posts: > 500

I think Nokia are doing what SE have done and Motorola before that, and that is to not follow the market. They are probably still riding of the success of their N series a few years back with the N95 and so on, just like Motorola stuck with their V3 RAZR and SE with their K800i. Nokia need to get more touchscreens, and SE need to as well.

The 5800XM seems to have been a success but I've heard bad things about the N97. And two touchscreens really isn't enough in what is now very much a touch-focused market.

When I think traditional mobile phones I think Nokia and Sony Ericsson, but both companies need to stop being traditional and start following trends. Or even innovating.

I also agree with carkitter that they need more focus on the American market. It's where the smartphone money is in my opinion. SE announced a focus on the US a few years ago, but what happened to that? Both SE and Nokia need a renewed focus on the US, and they need to do it properly!
--
Posted: 2009-10-16 00:15:39

carkitter Posts: > 500

The good thing about Motorola and is that they seem to be on the correct path with new touchscreen devices - the Cliq/DECT and Rachael respectively. And guess what? Those devices are running Google Android!

There's a lesson in there somewhere for Nokia...
And Microsoft.

The interesting thing is that the Satio could turn out to be the phone N97 should have been. That would be a much needed boost for
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-10-15 23:32 ]

--
Posted: 2009-10-16 00:26:58

Actually its funny you say the US. I read some years ago an American company cant recall who took Nokia to court. They claimed that Nokia were providing their business with so many faulty phones that the company lost loads of business. Cant remember the outcome but only in America eh? Nokia is starting to produce more touch screens now. The current 5530 is a very good phone which is in direct competition to the LG Cookie and Samsung Star. Its very cheap for what it offers and has already shot to the top spot in the UK in terms of sales. Its only been out a month or so.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-10-15 23:34 ]
--
Posted: 2009-10-16 00:28:00
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home