Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Android : Android or Next Gen Iphone?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Android or Next Gen Iphone? Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

carkitter Posts: > 500

My iPhone is not jailbroken (perhaps it should be?) and I'm not keen to do a restore as I don't trust iTunes an inch.

I have always found my iPhone to be slow, right from day one. I have the screen brightness set to auto but it does nothing so when outside I have to turn the brightness up manually and that means it's too bright at night so I often find myself changing the screen brightness twice a day. Entering the Settings menu to do this is very slow - every time.
Opening messages is slow. Loading webpages is slow - remember I use a Vodem on my laptop so both devices are using the same 3G reception, yet the iPhone loads slower. Rotating webpages has sped up a little since firmware 3.0 but is still slow enough that it looks jerky, sometimes a webpage won't rotate at all but that is rare since 3.0. Opening and changing tabs in Safari is so slow as to be called laboured. I'm not a fan of Safari browser in general but Safari 4 is impressively fast; Mobile Safari (in the iPhone) is much less impressive and is saved only by the 3.5" screen and touch interface which is way cool. Pictures are slow to rotate, camera app is slow to open and closing the app is jerky, not smooth, in fact most of the animations and transitions are not smooth. Apple's apps are less reliable than third party apps in my opinion.

I knew that going to a smartphone was going to result in UI lag but that still doesn't prepare you for it. I can see why they added 50% more clock speed to the processor in the 3Gs. I'm pretty excited that Rachael (sorry X10) has 2.5x the clock speed of my iPhone.

My comments on the Palm Pre were based on a side by side accelerometer comparison I saw on Youtube prior to the arrival of the 3Gs. I have no first hand experience of the Pre as it's not available in NZ in any way, shape or form. If it was, I would have no hesitation in checking it out.

Recently I bought a G705 and it's A200 UI was extremely quick. Absolutely killed the iPhone for response. Unfortunately it's email client had it's butt kicked by the iPhone when trying to manage 3 email accounts so it had to go.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-11-05 11:05 ]

--
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:02:27
Edit : Quote

anonymuser Posts: > 500

@carkitter - ok, forget the restore (probably wouldn't help anyway) but how often do you plug in to itunes? I just wonder whether it needs to backup or something. Honestly, while I can relate to the occasional delay opening some apps, I've always found scrolling the menus etc to be smooth as butter, as is the accelerometer etc. It's all subjective, and I haven't used a featurephone in earnest for some time, but the iPhone is easily the fastest smartphone I've picked up. The 3GS more so, obviously, but the 3G has never been a slouch for me.

I'm looking for some clue to a problem somewhere... why do you mistrust itunes so much? I know it's not a lot of fun on Windows, depending on the hardware, but does it often play up for you? I'm just wondering if a problem with your itunes installation/library is somehow causing problems for the iPhone in turn.
--
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:39:33

masseur Posts: > 500

I also have no performance issues with the iPhone, although I do have the 3GS, but I never did before either.
I can't imagine what they will do for the next gen, but I can't imagine not using the iPhone in future as it just does everything I need.

I'd like to try an android phone and was tempted by the Hero. The X10 is already losing my interest with its mixed messages of its features etc, but that may change closer to release time, whenever that might be.

I use iTunes on windows every night when I conect to charge my phone, and every morning to load up all the latest video podcasts for the journey to/from work, it makes the journey much nicer! I've only ever had one issue with itunes and that was when it somehow lost all my apps but a quick email to Apple caused them to set something that allowed them to download again and I learned from there how to specifically backup the apps, although I already regularly back up my pc.

As with every other iphone or ??? topic, its not about matching phone feature for phone feature. its going to take a whole new user experience, not just a new phone, to get me away from the iphone. Right now I can only imagine something else matching the experience I already have on iphone, but not neccessarily bettering it, and thats what itunes and mobile me bring.
--
Posted: 2009-11-05 12:56:23

anonymuser Posts: > 500

I always found itunes thunderously slow and cumbersome on our old (and slow) PC, but it's a revelation on the new Mac, and I don't doubt it's probably fine on a faster PC too. Can't say I've ever had any real reliability problems with it though - it's not (touch wood) ever lost anything, and with a bit of messing about I was able to transfer everything between the PC/iPhone/Mac too.
--
Posted: 2009-11-05 13:20:30

DJ_NeO2 Posts: 123

@ carkitter and Boinng
I don't think there's any reason to mistrust iTunes, I use it every minute, I have a iMac now, but I used to be a heavy windows user, and have tried winamp, WMP, BSPLAYER, and a lot of other players, and iTunes seems to be perfect for me, it backs up everything into its separate folder, you can convert files, you can download stuff, and it's totally reliable concerning backups, playlists and stuff like that, because it backs it all up on your hard disk all the time, but it doesn't take any more space then it needs to, it only takes space for the files you have in it. iPhone may be slow because of running apps in the background, this can be easily fixed on a jailbroken iPhone(which is DEFINITELY WORHT IT! btw) with SBSetting where you can have toggles for everything you need,processes(where you can shut down all the processes that are running) bluetooth, brightness, volume, iPod, SSH, Wi-Fi, Auto-Lock, Auto-Correction, Location, Phone, 3G, Push, Edge, Safari DL and so many more, you can also download BACKGROUNDER and it shows you which apps are running, but you need some other app to shut them down. I use this on my 3G[S] and I always have 160 mb "RAM" free... I am always aware of what happens to my phone and can turn on/off all the things I need in a second, you can also respring, reboot, turn off, hide icons, etc...And you access it anywhere with a simple swipe on the statusbar:) Hope this helps, if you have any questions, just ask:)
--
Posted: 2009-11-05 21:43:47

adhgklk Posts: 483

It will be very very interesting to see dike a iPhone with Android.SO , it will be called: iDroid
--
Posted: 2009-11-14 18:12:11

strizlow800 Posts: > 500

I don't think that you'll see one. At least not in the near future.

Apple are using their operating system(s) on their own devices which differ from everything else in the market. I think it's the same deal with the Macs which most people know them as PCs .

Apple aren't compatible with anything..
--
Posted: 2009-11-15 10:46:17

On 2009-11-15 10:46:17, strizlow800 wrote:
I don't think that you'll see one. At least not in the near future.

Apple are using their operating system(s) on their own devices which differ from everything else in the market. I think it's the same deal with the Macs which most people know them as PCs .

Apple aren't compatible with anything..

Apple is actually compatible with windows, you can have an iMac or a MacBook with a Windows OS, and when you say a PC, it doesn't mean it has a Windows OS, PC just means that it's a "personal computer", a desktop one, and not a laptop:P
--
Posted: 2009-11-15 14:10:34

strizlow800 Posts: > 500

You got me wrong... What i wanted to say is that Apple has their own way of using software for phones and etc...
--
Posted: 2009-11-15 17:58:19

On 2009-11-15 17:58:19, strizlow800 wrote:
You got me wrong... What i wanted to say is that Apple has their own way of using software for phones and etc...

Well, yeah, that's what makes it unique:)
--
Posted: 2009-11-15 22:23:00
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home