Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Windows Mobile : Windows Phone 7 won't run current Mobile applications
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Windows Phone 7 won't run current Mobile applications Bookmark topic
Page123>

carkitter Posts: > 500

Windows Phone 7 won't run current Mobile applications

7:44 AM Monday Mar 8, 2010
NEW YORK - Microsoft has said its new software for smart phones, Windows Phone 7 series, is a "clean break" with the past.

Now it's clear just how clean that break is: The new phones, expected late this year, won't run any applications written for older versions of Microsoft's phone software.

In a blog post, Microsoft executive Charlie Kindel, who handles contact with outside software developers, said that jettisoning support for older applications was necessary to make the new operating system as powerful and user-friendly as possible.

The news leaves software developers with a dilemma: they can write applications for Windows Mobile 6.5, which will soon be a dead end, or they can write for Windows Phone 7, which isn't coming out until later this year.

- AP
source

Will WM 6.5 soon be a dead end? has yet to release the Aspen and that would be expected to have a model life of 9 -18 months. The X2 is still new and not considered to be completely outdated yet is it?

With WP7S pushing XBOX compatibility, will SONY/SE be so quick to jump on board the new platform? Will they stick with the 'dead end' platform? Has the decision already been made hence continuing to release phones like the Aspen?
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-03-08 11:07 ]

--
Posted: 2010-03-07 23:34:42
Edit : Quote

Nanu Posts: > 500

Haven't Microsoft said they plan to continue to produce models running 6.5 for those that would prefer to stay with the old platform? I'm sure I read something along those lines last week I'll see if I can find the snippet
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 00:14:26

hihihans Posts: > 500

A real microsoft move. Make older software useless, so everyone needs to buy upgrades
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 01:07:03

mediar Posts: > 500

They had the same policy about Windows Vista, and it was a failure.
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 07:27:53

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

Whats the Vivaz got to do with WM related things? Or do they mean Aspen?
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 09:24:18

On 2010-03-08 09:24:18, GUCCI.011 wrote:

You're right I did mean Aspen not Vivaz (which is Symbian OS).

On 2010-03-08 01:07:03, hihihans wrote:
A real microsoft move. Make older software useless, so everyone needs to buy upgrades

Everyone uses Windows, not everyone uses WM. Besides, phones are replaced more often than PCs so it hardly matters. However, if WM users are upgrading their choice of hardware and are unlikely to be able to reuse their current apps, Microsoft may lose those customers to Apple or Android. Quite a risk to take I would have thought.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-03-08 11:17 ]

--
Posted: 2010-03-08 12:08:51

doministry Posts: > 500

On 2010-03-08 12:08:51, carkitter wrote:

On 2010-03-08 09:24:18, GUCCI.011 wrote:

You're right I did mean Aspen not Vivaz (which is Symbian OS).

On 2010-03-08 01:07:03, hihihans wrote:

Everyone uses Windows, not everyone uses WM. Besides, phones are replaced more often than PCs so it hardly matters. However, if WM users are upgrading their choice of hardware and are unlikely to be able to reuse their current apps, Microsoft may lose those customers to Apple or Android. Quite a risk to take I would have thought.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-03-08 11:17 ]

I must disagree on this one.

You think Microsoft is that stupid they cannot make such a simple assumption?
Well they're wiser than we think.

In terms of market share: things have just begun regarding our hightech devices.

Now smartphones with operating systems are just a little bit
of all mobiles sold worldwide.
But all the makers fight to have the biggest part of
what is coming actually in the next few years!

So they may loose some users now but in the future, if the platform
is attractive, they'll gain 10 or 20 times more users.

Unfortunately the biggest sales are amongst "consumers",
not "professionals".

So cutting all the older WM limitations now
is the best choice
to have completely redesigned new platform
when things will "explode"

I don't think you could endlessly build future hightech platform
on old WM kernel...
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 20:13:26

Lightspeed_x Posts: > 500

I agree with doministry, its better to build a platform from scratch and make it more user friendly/powerful or whatever MS wants to do with it, than stalling development due to an old OS support.
--
Posted: 2010-03-08 20:24:00

On 2010-03-08 20:13:26, doministry wrote:
You think Microsoft is that stupid they cannot make such a simple assumption?
Well they're wiser than we think...

I know they're not stupid; I use windows 7

...In terms of market share: things have just begun regarding our hightech devices.

Now smartphones with operating systems are just a little bit
of all mobiles sold worldwide.
But all the makers fight to have the biggest part of
what is coming actually in the next few years!

So they may loose some users now but in the future, if the platform
is attractive, they'll gain 10 or 20 times more users...

It is a common misconception that 'soon everyone will be using a smartphone'. It's just not true.
And here's the reason why:

...Unfortunately the biggest sales are amongst "consumers",
not "professionals"...

Nail -> Head
My ex, after having used a Samsung Z400v 3G phone with video calling, slideshow wallpaper, document readers and slide form factor along with my old V800 and having sampled my iPhone 3G has just gone back to a candybar call/txt phone. Why? Because I'm not there to supply her with a decent phone. She was always uncomfortable with full-featured phones, scared stiff of smartphones and there are millions like her all over the world.
Can't change it, you just have to accept it.

So cutting all the older WM limitations now
is the best choice
to have completely redesigned new platform
when things will "explode"

I don't think you could endlessly build future hightech platform
on old WM kernel...

I don't think its the best choice for users who want the Aspen/Blackberry/E-Series form factor and productivity apps.
I think it is the best choice if Microsoft wants to compete with iPhone and Aino (Playstation integration). If Microsoft goes this way exclusively, they will likely alienate their existing business focused market. All I can say is that they had better get a lot of sales from XBOX 360 owners to justify the move.

WM is a 'bird in the hand', WP7S is the proverbial 'two in the bush'. Personally I don't see why they can't do both.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-03-09 00:06 ]

--
Posted: 2010-03-08 23:27:51

doministry Posts: > 500

On 2010-03-08 23:27:51, carkitter wrote:
My ex, after having used a Samsung Z400v 3G phone with video calling, slideshow wallpaper, document readers and slide form factor along with my old V800 and having sampled my iPhone 3G has just gone back to a candybar call/txt phone. Why? Because I'm not there to supply her with a decent phone. She was always uncomfortable with full-featured phones, scared stiff of smartphones and there are millions like her all over the world.
Can't change it, you just have to accept it.

Disagree here still.

I'm not saying EVERYONE will use smartphones.

But we can bet that in coming years smartphones marketshare will grow from these 10% now (about)
to about 40% or even more.

"Can't change it, you just have to accept it."

You either.
You could laugh 5 years ago about laptop in every home.
Now everybody has that no matter how much one is advanced in technology...

I think the same will happen to smartphones.

--
Posted: 2010-03-09 21:16:59
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home