Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Symbian phones : Satio Poor GPS Signal?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Satio Poor GPS Signal? Bookmark topic
Page <  123456789>

BlueDwarf Posts: 6

I've been using my Satio for about 5 months, GPS on the phone is a major feature for me to use. Since I purchased the phone on Ebay, I installed Sygic, Ndrive, Garmin, Ovi.....among them, Sygic is the best, on ease of use, route calculation everything.

But, the poor gps on Satio caused all the gps apps to keep on recalculating every time and rotating the map while stopping the car, specially while stopping at the traffic light. I've tried every possible solution including fw upgrade, de-branding, purging gps data......but didn't resolve the issue. Sygic was the app with least recalculation.
Few weeks back, just to try, I downgraded the FW to the very first FW version (R1B017) using Omnius software....and guess what, all the recalculation or rotating problems are gone!!!

Now I installed Sygic & Garmin city navigator Australia NT 2011 on the phone (you don't need to hack your phone to install these apps)and no problem whatsoever.....it's been 3 weeks without any problem.

So, people who are having GPS problems...should try this.

NB: Omnius is a free application to flash FW on your phone, you can even download all the FW files on their site....you have to create a free account on the site to download the program and Firmware files....Good luck guys.
[ This Message was edited by: BlueDwarf on 2010-07-25 02:15 ]

--
Posted: 2010-07-24 16:55:56
Edit : Quote

pmet Posts: 38

On 2010-07-24 16:55:56, BlueDwarf wrote:
I've been using my Satio for about 5 months, GPS on the phone is a major feature for me to use. Since I purchased the phone on Ebay, I installed Sygic, Ndrive, Garmin, Ovi.....among them, Sygic is the best, on ease of use, route calculation everything.

But, the poor gps on Satio caused all the gps apps to keep on recalculating every time and rotating the map while stopping the car, specially while stopping at the traffic light. I've tried every possible solution including fw upgrade, de-branding, purging gps data......but didn't resolve the issue. Sygic was the app with least recalculation.
Few weeks back, just to try, I downgraded the FW to the very first FW version (R1B017) using Omnius software....and guess what, all the recalculation or rotating problems are gone!!!

Now I installed Sygic & Garmin city navigator Australia NT 2011 on the phone (you don't need to hack your phone to install these apps)and no problem whatsoever.....it's been 3 weeks without any problem.

NB: Omnius is a free application to flash FW on your phone, you can even download all the FW files on their site....you have to create a free account on the site to download the program and Firmware files....Good luck guys.

Good report there! I always thought the recalculation has something to do with firmware. The GPS in Satio is just too sensitive to multipath signals and a firmware fix should solve it. Can anyone try and verify?

BTW, what are the major bugs in that first firmware?
--
Posted: 2010-08-03 07:37:29

On 2010-07-24 16:55:56, BlueDwarf wrote:

BTW, can you try Nokia Maps 3.0.1 09wk44 to see if it recalculates on your new firmware? Also, do you have solar film installed on your car?
--
Posted: 2010-08-03 18:38:49

...well, I personally didn't like Ovi maps coz the way to put address on Ovi is not too easy, I mean you have to put the whole address. But on Sygic, you just type first and second letters and the address comes up. And to install Ovi, your phone needs to be hacked.

I'll install Ovi probably to check if it recalculates, but I dont thing it would, and I have my car with all tinted windows...but I get a GPS fix almost instantly withing 4-5 seconds everytime I start Sygic or Garmin, no matter if I'm in the car or home sitting on my computer.
--
Posted: 2010-08-06 14:50:03

...I didn't find any problem so far, I installed 3 Australia FW and it's working fine.
--
Posted: 2010-08-06 14:55:02

On 2010-08-06 14:50:03, BlueDwarf wrote:
...well, I personally didn't like Ovi maps coz the way to put address on Ovi is not too easy, I mean you have to put the whole address. But on Sygic, you just type first and second letters and the address comes up. And to install Ovi, your phone needs to be hacked.

I'll install Ovi probably to check if it recalculates, but I dont thing it would, and I have my car with all tinted windows...but I get a GPS fix almost instantly withing 4-5 seconds everytime I start Sygic or Garmin, no matter if I'm in the car or home sitting on my computer.

Yes, I believe tinted car windows are a problem to Satio's internal GPS. You know what's weird? The weird thing is that the problem usually starts when the signal is full. On Ovi Map, you can see the signal strength. When signal is very bad, the recalculation is understandable. It's usually very stable when 5-8 bars are achieved out of a total 10. Anything more or less, the signal jumps about.

Can you install Nokia Ovi 3.0.1 09wk44 just to test it out for us?
--
Posted: 2010-08-07 06:12:00

MrGriffen Posts: 1

I think I might have solved this problem. Now I cannot take credit for this as it was mostly put together by reading Nokia N97 forums. After having the same problem with my Satio as mentioned by most users here I tried everything, hard reset, soft reset, fm update, master reset and event clearing the GPS settings in the service menu to no avail. I also noted the reason SE is not responding to this problem is because it isn't one.

The problem lies in the way the Satio connects to determine your location. When using just the GPS it will take forever that is why it has A-GPS (Assisted GPS) that uses nearby cellphone tower locations to pinpoint your location faster.
BUT the Satio has a managed internet access point system. That means it will attempt to auto-detect an available internet connection for locating you. This most of the time takes too long and then exceeds your GPS's 300 second time out.

SOLUTION:

1. Read this forum to get to know how to clear the GPS data under the service menu. (Do this before continuing)
2. Go to Settings->Phone->Application Settings->Positioning
Set the Positioning Methods to: Internal GPS
Set the Positioning Servers Access point: Change from automatic to your normal internet access point.
3. Restart the phone and presto.

This is what worked for me and I am almost sure this is the key "problem" of this phones GPS. Mayne now pick's up a signal in less than 15's.
--
Posted: 2010-08-15 17:28:02

Yes, I believe tinted car windows are a problem to Satio's internal GPS. You know what's weird? The weird thing is that the problem usually starts when the signal is full. On Ovi Map, you can see the signal strength. When signal is very bad, the recalculation is understandable. It's usually very stable when 5-8 bars are achieved out of a total 10. Anything more or less, the signal jumps about.

I installed Ovimap and used for last two weeks with no problems at all. It didn't recalculate for a single time...

Yes, it used to recalculate even when GPS signal was full bars...but anyway, these are no more. So now I have Garmin 2011, Sygic 8.14 and Ovi 3.03.54 on my Satio and all tested, no recalculations. And since I downgraded the FW, I get GPS signal a lot quicker than it was before on the latest FW....

You should really try this....
--
Posted: 2010-08-24 15:34:13

On 2010-08-24 15:34:13, BlueDwarf wrote:

I installed Ovimap and used for last two weeks with no problems at all. It didn't recalculate for a single time...

Yes, it used to recalculate even when GPS signal was full bars...but anyway, these are no more. So now I have Garmin 2011, Sygic 8.14 and Ovi 3.03.54 on my Satio and all tested, no recalculations. And since I downgraded the FW, I get GPS signal a lot quicker than it was before on the latest FW....

Just to be sure, what's your "new" firmware version?
--
Posted: 2010-08-24 19:50:06

On 2010-08-24 19:50:06, pmet wrote:

On 2010-08-24 15:34:13, BlueDwarf wrote:

Just to be sure, what's your "new" firmware version?

R1B017
--
Posted: 2010-08-27 14:58:24
Page <  123456789>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home