Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Android : X10 Keyboard, your thoughts?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 Keyboard, your thoughts? Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

MikLSP Posts: > 500

It's a great start and had it arrived a couple of months ago it would have been heralded. I just hope SE aren't too slow with some decent updates.

PS- I'll be posting a "Mik's Impatient Opinions" review on the se-nse after I've had some more time with the handset so if anyone wants an honest an to the point review then keep an eye out for it

Mik
--
Posted: 2010-04-05 22:41:53
Edit : Quote

tranced Posts: > 500

@mik: I just read your at se-nse and from what I understood it made me think of waiting a bit more till updates fix the keyboard issues. I'm a sort of hardcore typer and I'd end up damaging the touchscreen trying to write something.
--
Posted: 2010-04-06 05:22:43

Nitro Fan Posts: > 500

Whilst waiting for the X10 I tested four Android phones G1 G2(hero) T-Mobile Pulse and Nexus N1 ALL of them gave text entry problems, so I don't think this is purely a fault with the X10 I believe this is a fault with the overall technology.

There is clearly some work to be done with the way Android interfaces with the HW on these devices I found text entry to be slow and frustrating on each of them.

But Capacitive screens can never be as accurate as resistive screens in my opinion, hence they do not support handwriting in the way the W960 does for example.
--
Posted: 2010-04-06 11:29:55

Installing the HTC_IME from HERE solves all the problems. The keyboards responds perfectly, is more accurate, has fantastic auto-correction and can even be calibrated.

Everyone with an X10 should do this immediately

PS- I've created a tutorial on the matter (link in first post)

Mik
[ This Message was edited by: MikLSP on 2010-04-06 15:27 ]

--
Posted: 2010-04-06 13:41:45

anders260 Posts: 197

[ This Message was edited by: anders260 on 2010-04-06 17:04 ]

--
Posted: 2010-04-06 17:30:43

The supported languages are apparently as follows but I have not tried them and indeed removed them from the setting file so can't test I'm afraid:
English
Arabic
Czech
Danish
Dutch
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Italian
Norwegian (Bokmål)
Polish
Portugese
Romanian
Russian
Spanish
Swedish
Turkish
--
Posted: 2010-04-06 17:35:17

SE-Naz Posts: > 500

Could you tell me how to delete the languages?

I have added # signs in front... Hope this is correct and have read your instructions... Sorry...

Also does callibration improve the keyboard even more or not so...?

I am looking to try this keyboard and see how good it is

EDIT...

I have installed the keyboard and have to admit it is good, I find it much faster... need to sort their keyboard out... If they sort the little issues it will be a good keyboard...
[ This Message was edited by: SE-Naz on 2010-04-07 18:19 ]

--
Posted: 2010-04-07 18:37:25

Follow the instructions in the text file you get in the zip, make sure you put "# " (including the space) before the number AND keep the number for each language. The text file has an example.

I haven't bothered calibrating but the idea is that it learns where you press for each letter and adjusts things slightly to compensate.
--
Posted: 2010-04-08 00:09:10

ocean24601 Posts: 4

Well have to say that the SE keyboard has been the only thing that i've noticed that feels a bit fiddlesome.

Though this is my first android. Other than the keyboard I am just loving this phone.

However thanks to the tutorial I was easily able to install the HTC Touch keyboard. It makes a real difference.

Cheers

--
Posted: 2010-04-09 09:38:14

No problem, glad it helped you out
--
Posted: 2010-04-09 12:27:20
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index