Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Accessories : Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc.
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Xperia X10 Protection (Cases, Films, etc. Bookmark topic
Page12345678>

moogoo Posts: > 500

I started this for myself as well as for a reference for those looking to protect their beautiful, new Xperia X10 from the inevitable scratches and dings of every day use.

I will be receiving my white X10 tomorrow and I've been looking at my options. I am aware that the X10 comes with a pre-installed screen protector and in some packages with an additional screen protector. My concern is protecting the sides and back of the phone. Since I am getting the white one, the back is glossy and i'm sure it is susceptible to scratches moreso than the black one with its rubberized back.

So far, I've come across the few that I've listed below. I've also noted the pros and cons that I can perceive of have heard about them. The aim of this thread is for those who have the case or protective films to share their experiences so that we can all select the best protection for our x10 for our needs and desires.

InvisibleSHIELD
http://www.zagg.com/invisible[....]ctors-covers-skins-shields.php
PROS: Full body protection, extremely scratch resistant, easy to order
CONS: Film may reduce touch sensitivity of the screen (heard this, but might not be an issue if original preinstalled screen protector is removed first?), film has a lot of seems which will inevitably get dirty over time

MartinsFields
http://www.martinfields.com/US/MFOP-SEXperiaX10
PROS: Very thin (thinner than invisibleSHIELD by a smidge), comes with camera lens protection too, price, removable, washable, reusable
CONS: Does not protect the back/sides or bottom edge

ClearCoat
http://www.clear-coat.com/product.php?productid=759
PROS: Very thin (says it is thousands of an inch, while invisible shield is supposedly 1 hundredth of an inch), full body protection, double guarantee, easily removable, free shipping
CONS: seams may get dirty over time

ClearCoat Impressions:

Installation: Very easy! Took me about 10 minutes. There is no need to spray the phone, which I think is great. I wouldn't want the adhesive spray all over the camera lens! Once you get it on there, you have a few minutes to move it around and fine tune the placement. Squeegee out the excess and it will begin to set, so get that placement right before you start squeegeeing. You can always remove it entirely and start over.

Cut: The pieces are not cut perfectly, but I guess that's to be expected from a 3rd party company. The front is a little bit off as well as the back. The back also doesn't have intricate cutouts for the camera, LED light, and SE logo. Instead the camera and LED light are exposed with a rather large cutout and the SE logo has a cutout that is far from precise. It also does not cover the sides, but does cover the bottom somewhat. There is no top protection either. To be fair, there is a small piece to protect the one side that does not have the volume rocker, but I found it pointless to put on and chose not to.

Quality: The material seems to be very nice. It is definitely fingerprint resistant. Just from initial testing, the things that would have made a huge oily, smudgy, fingerprint mess on the original screen protector haven't left a single mark on the ClearCoat. Very impressive.

Protection: Obviously I'm not going to test out how well it protects my phone... you can see what it can do on their website! But, I think for my purposes, it will be sufficient. It will protect my screen and the majority of the back. I'm happy.

Rating: 4/5 Stars - Would have been a full 5 stars had it been cut more precisely and included side and top protection as well.

Highly Recommended!

If anybody has others they would like to share, please do so. If you have any of the above, please share your experiences too! Thanks! As of right now, I am leaning toward the ClearCoat.... Need to make a decision soon as my phone arrives tomorrow!
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2010-04-27 02:58 ]

--
Posted: 2010-04-19 21:00:11
Edit : Quote

OffLineR Posts: > 500

ClearCoat looks promossing.
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 21:28:54

MikLSP Posts: > 500

There's also the fact that it comes with a factory fitted screen protector
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 21:32:56

OffLineR Posts: > 500

I like the full body protection idea since I have a white X10
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 21:34:41

@ MikLSP

Yes. As I said in the original post, I'm aware it comes with the factory fitted screen protector, but having the white X10 with the glossy back makes it more susceptible to scratches than the black with rubber back, so having full body protection is something I want. I would remove the original factory screen protector before applying anything or maybe just apply the back only. I want to see how well the factory screen protector reduces finger prints vs. a commercial protective film like ClearCoat

@ OffLineR

I'm thinking of ordering the ClearCoat. Thinner than Invisible Shield and has less seams/pieces than invisible Shield. And it's free shipping for the same price. I hope there's enough leftover material that I can custom cut a small protector for the camera lens too
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2010-04-19 20:48 ]

--
Posted: 2010-04-19 21:45:59

AndyD777 Posts: 327

https://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=197823

Ive been looking at one of those.
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 22:44:32

@AndyD777

Yes. I've seen those for awhile now. Personally, I like to put my phone in my pocket and having a leather case will add extra bulk that I wouldn't like. Plus, having to take it out of the case every time I use it would get annoying I think, imho anyway.

They do look very nice though.
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 23:04:11

MikLSP Posts: > 500

Sorry, I only scanned your post and didn't read that part.

The protector which comes on the phone doesn't reduce finger prints at all. How are the ClearCoat ones supposed to do it?

The other thing I'd be interested in is how the screen is with no protector fitted at all, i.e. how sensitive to touch and resistant to scratches. I don't want to risk trying it though as I know I'll end up with a scratch from nowhere!
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 23:05:50

@MikLSP

I'm not entirely positive that the clearcoat reduces finger prints. I've heard and read user experiences that InvisibleShield does reduce the appearance of fingerprints though and I am assuming clearcoat would be similar. However, I could be flat out wrong

I'm not toooo concerned about finger prints. I'm more concerned about scratches. Fingerprints can be wiped off, scratches just get worse

I will definitely share my experience when I finally get it. Hopefully others on here will share their experiences with whatever they're using.

Good to know that the factory screen protector is a finger print magnet though
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 23:16:33

Popolou Posts: 175

On 2010-04-19 22:44:32, AndyD777 wrote:
https://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=197823

Ive been looking at one of those.

Needed a case urgently so have had the black vertical one on order. Seems to offer a good combination of protection and quality at the upper end of the market.

Regards
Pop
--
Posted: 2010-04-19 23:28:25
Page12345678>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home