Esato Mobile
Information : Esato News Articles : Nokia and Microsoft to form strategic partnership - Nokia mobile phones to run Windows Phone 7
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Information > Esato News Articles > Nokia and Microsoft to form strategic partnership - Nokia mobile phones to run Windows Phone 7 Bookmark topic
Page <  12

Dups! Posts: > 500

Nokia deserves this! They had a fighting chance had they acknowledged that Symbian UIQ was the way forward rather than S60.

The last UIQ version, which was still pre-production was every bit as modern as any of the current OSs. Nokia being Nokia thought they were bigger than SE and S60 had a larger following and so UIQ was sidelined, yes, I know about the 'elements' of UIQ that were supposedly incorporated into the 'new' Symbian which really was just talk.

I was one of those that kept saying SE should dump Symbian cause it was going nowhere and I was right. I wonder what the multitudes of Symbian fans who accused us of dreaming when we pronounced the demise of Symbian are saying now.

@etaab

How is Nokia going to look and feel different to HTC and Samsung cause you say Android was going to make them similar to other manufacturers? Windows phone 7 is worse than Android in that there is no possibility of differentiation as prescribed by Microsoft.
--
Posted: 2011-02-12 19:16:58
Edit : Quote

amawanqa Posts: > 500

Well well well... a prototype Nokia running on 7 has already surfaced:

http://www.gsmarena.com/first[....]phone_7_revealed-news-2317.php

EDIT: Oops...masseur has already posted this in the other thread..
[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2011-02-12 20:55 ]

--
Posted: 2011-02-12 21:51:56

etaab Posts: > 500

On 2011-02-12 04:36:16, Prom1 wrote:
I still think Symbian is every bit as powerful as Android is today

Ive never thought any less, ive always thought it more capable in fact. Till Nokia themselves decide to sideline it

@ Dups! - I think the reason why Nokia never chose to go with Android was a simple one. If they used Android just like many other companies like Samsung and SE, their phones wouldnt be as appealing. It would be rather easy for SE to create a phone like the N8 running Android, as much as it would for Nokia to do the same. Therefore people would have very little choice in differentiating different manufacturers flagships.

The fact Nokia have chosen WP7 shows this, but also illustrates Nokia are still at a major disadvantage. WM7 is very nice to use and makes Android and iOS look rather old. But theres nothing behind the pretty looks, virtually nothing. No options, no settings, its an OS and interface which is WYSIWYG, because what you see is really all you get. Im actually wondering whether if this idea was all Elop's and if so, has he ever used WP7 ? its incredibly shallow.

Im sure Nokia phones with WP7 will stand out from Android phones and be able to compete, in looks anyway and capturing the publics attention will be rather easy. But will they keep the same customers like me who've used a highly evolved OS like Symbian. Probably not.
--
Posted: 2011-02-13 21:38:44
Page <  12

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home