Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Apple : Apple iPhone Patent a Huge Blow to Rival Smartphone Makers
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Apple iPhone Patent a Huge Blow to Rival Smartphone Makers Bookmark topic
Page12>

tranced Posts: > 500

Apple has been awarded its long sought-after patent on the iPhone. Intellectual property experts say it's so broad and far-reaching that the iPhone maker may be able to bully other smart phone manufacturers out of the U.S. market entirely.

Some three-and-a-half years after filing for a patent on the iPhone, Apple on Tuesday was awarded U.S. patent number 7,966,578 for "[a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display."

That's just the beginning of the abstract for Apple's iPhone patent, which the company filed back in December 2007. It gets quite a bit more technical in its full form, but there's one thing patent experts consulted by PCMag agree on—Apple has been awarded an incredibly broad patent that could prove to be hugely problematic for other makers of capacitive touch-screen smartphones.

For more of this article, click here.
--
Posted: 2011-06-23 13:00:11
Edit : Quote

mriley Posts: > 500

Not good news...
--
Posted: 2011-06-23 15:04:14

julias Posts: > 500

The Dawn of Apple fascism?..now they will get away with anything and squeeze the competition even harder if they aren't doing enough already with their ridiculous lawsuits...this really is not good news at all for the other manufacturers.

--
Posted: 2011-06-23 15:32:42

tranced Posts: > 500

The anti monopoly law should act ASAP.
--
Posted: 2011-06-23 18:32:00

masseur Posts: > 500

I'm interested what you guys are upset about.. that Apple filed a patent that protect the millions of investment they put into R&D that has changed the mobile landscape (for the better), or that the patent was granted?
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 10:07:26

You cant seriously support this?!
I see a lot of comparisons between notifications on iOS 5 and the android task bar, but where is google and their lawsuit claims?
This patent clearly goes beyond other companies stealing ideas, its a pathetic way of batting off competition by investing millions into every single legal crap they can get their hands on
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 15:20:00

masseur Posts: > 500

I don't think I voiced any opinion, I merely asked a question.

I'm as surprised as anyone about this but I suspect the US patent office doesn't grant these lightly, and without research and accepting submissions from interested 3rd parties who wish to counter the claim.
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 15:32:33

You insinuated that our disapproval of Apple's patent was unjustified, therefore implying that you didn't share our opinion...

Well, whatever comes from this it can't be good for the competition, and that's what's driving the market right now.
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 16:03:40

skblakee Posts: > 500

The other manufacturers should just ignore and proceed. Let Apple sue if they want then see where this goes. With a Democrat in office in the US it is not likely that Apple would be allowed to have such control over how all other smartphone interfaces are designed such that Apple can control all or nearly all of the market.

Silly if you ask me.
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 16:34:29

titus1 Posts: > 500

Guys, this is not our problem anymore...
--
Posted: 2011-06-24 16:43:41
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home