Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Android : Why is Apple Scared of Sony ?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Why is Apple Scared of Sony ? Bookmark topic
Page <  123456>

Geezay Posts: 316

Well, I for one do not think its just about the patent war chest that Sony has. I think it's about the threat that Sony pose/poses/posed? It is virtually nil, at least on Apple's mobile phone business. If it was just about patents, they would have been wary of Motorolla which has a sizeable arsenal of those.

I also think Steve Jobs respected Sony in a way as a truly innovative company and a pioneer and thought not to sue it? He clearly had little to no respect for Samsung who he saw as copycats!

My two cents worth!
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 15:49:52
Edit : Quote

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

+1 Geezay.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2012-06-13 17:08 ]

--
Posted: 2012-06-13 17:58:06

mode Posts: > 500

I think the answer is quite obvious. They are not threatened by Sony. Period. Sony is now super toothless where their core market is- mobile devices.
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 19:12:09

Dups! Posts: > 500

Tsepz_GP and Geezay hit the nail on the head.

The sooner Sony threatens Apple the sooner they are slapped with lawsuits.
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 21:37:46

chunkybeats Posts: 496

I dont think its a matter of threat from Sony. I think in terms of the position in the market, Sony are in a good position. Why you ask? Well who developed the iphone 4s & sg3 cameras? Sony, how many of them units where shipped? Heaps!! So in terms of profit Sony are in a good position because the top two competitors are using their hardware they dont need to worry about patents etc etc.

I wish Sony all the best and hope one day they come back to where they are, I realistically think they will, they are just trying to touch other markets 1st with 'affordable' technology unlike Apple who have been hitting so called high end but really its more mid to high range rather than high end products.
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 22:40:28

chunkybeats Posts: 496

On 2012-06-13 22:40:28, chunkybeats wrote:
I dont think its a matter of threat from Sony. I think in terms of the position in the market, Sony are in a good position. Why you ask? Well who developed the iphone 4s & sg3 cameras? Sony, how many of them units where shipped? Heaps!! So in terms of profit Sony are in a good position because the top two competitors are using their hardware they dont need to worry about patents etc etc.

I wish Sony all the best and hope one day they come back to where they were, I realistically think they will, they are just trying to touch other markets 1st with 'affordable' technology unlike Apple who have been hitting so called high end but really its more mid to high range rather than high end products.

--
Posted: 2012-06-13 22:43:46

On 2012-06-13 22:40:28, chunkybeats wrote:

I wish Sony all the best and hope one day they come back to where they are, I realistically think they will, they are just trying to touch other markets 1st with 'affordable' technology unlike Apple who have been hitting so called high end but really its more mid to high range rather than high end products.

Guess who developed around 30% of the components of the iPhone??? Samsung. They are the ones who cash in the most on the iPhone after Apple, in actual fact Apple and Samsung are taking up about 90% of the profits in the mobile industry, leaving Sony and the rest to fight for the scraps, Threat is probably the main reason. Just looking at the companies Apple have sued shows that.

In the USA they are chasing Samsung, Htc and Moto, the most popular Android OEMs there.
In Europe they are chasing Samsung primarily, the most popular Android OEM and the largest seller of smartphones on the globe, why would they waste resources and sue Sony who are barely on the map? Its basic business. Apple will sue Sony if they see benefits to it, but at this point there are none.
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 23:02:32

djin Posts: > 500

@Tsepz_gp,

AFAIK apple didnt chase motorola. Its motorola who sued apple and apple counter-sued them.
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 23:23:24

If i remember correctly they did try get an injunction on the Motorola Xoom. Didn't they?
--
Posted: 2012-06-13 23:45:53

semo Posts: 182

A very interesting read about current state and trends in mobile patents (not spam
http://www.chetansharma.com/M[....]e_Chetan_Sharma_Consulting.pdf
It seems that both Ericsson and Sony are in the top group and together they are probably number one.
Try to compare with Apple, although IMO Apple does not care about this very much.
They would sue Sony as soon as thay find a good rea$$$on.

[ This Message was edited by: semo on 2012-06-13 23:25 ]

--
Posted: 2012-06-14 00:20:23
Page <  123456>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home