Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Android : Why is Apple Scared of Sony ?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Why is Apple Scared of Sony ? Bookmark topic
Page <  123456>

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

On 2012-06-14 00:20:23, semo wrote:
A very interesting read about current state and trends in mobile patents (not spam
http://www.chetansharma.com/M[....]e_Chetan_Sharma_Consulting.pdf
It seems that both Ericsson and Sony are in the top group and together they are probably number one.
Try to compare with Apple, although IMO Apple does not care about this very much.
They would sue Sony as soon as thay find a good rea$$$on.

[ This Message was edited by: semo on 2012-06-13 23:25 ]

+1
And just as i thought WRT Nokia and Samsung.
If and when suing Sony brings any benefit or if they feel threatened by them, Apple will do it.

At this point its not about HOW MANY patents, its about the depth of the patents and how valid they are. Look where Apple is in that graph, a mere glance would have you thinking they cant sue anyone, but thanks to that UI of theirs which EVERYONE has "copied" in a way, they are able to sue left, right and center. Sony and many others are also guilty of violating some of Apple's patents, its down to Apple to choose who they sue. If manufacturers had for example stuck with non-touch UI i doubt Apple would have this power as many of their patents are touch and gesture related it seems.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2012-06-14 00:37 ]

--
Posted: 2012-06-14 01:34:37
Edit : Quote

djin Posts: > 500

I am not 100% sure on this, but it was after the patent war. Also that graph, it shows the patents thats been filed from 1995-2012 right? So i think it does not indicate total number of patents a company holds?
--
Posted: 2012-06-14 19:16:26

Geezay Posts: 316

On 2012-06-14 19:16:26, djin wrote:
I am not 100% sure on this, but it was after the patent war. Also that graph, it shows the patents thats been filed from 1995-2012 right? So i think it does not indicate total number of patents a company holds?

I think you are correct. If you check on the US Patents Office website, the statistics they have by company are from 1995, which my guess would be is the source of this data. The annual reports from 1995 are here for those who are curious, interested or both. http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/reports_topo.htm
--
Posted: 2012-06-14 20:54:03

degraaff Posts: 170

Because Sony (Ericsson) phones don't look anything like iPhones, while many samsung phones are obviously based on iPhones, in terms of looks.
--
Posted: 2012-06-15 21:55:07

xelibry Posts: 22

Because Sony can not in any way threaten the leadership of Apple and Samsung. The main players are Samsung, HTC, ZTE, Huawei, LG.
--
Posted: 2012-06-15 22:09:06

rraz9228 Posts: 145

It's more about patents and sony creates its own (not copying anybody). As somebody posted earlier, with Sony/S(E) backed by Ericsson and with S(E) own patent portfolio, a bigger counter suit is what you'll get for suing sony.

If it's about the threat, then why did Motorolla got sued? Sony/S(E) is around the same size as Motorolla then why is Motorolla a threat but Sony is not.
--
Posted: 2012-06-15 22:33:14

The lawsuits arent all about copying design, if some of you have actualy paid attention to many of the lawsuit details you'll find many of them have to do with things like how UI reacts when touched, radio tech etc... Some of these are things even Sony/SE violates, but they arent a real threat to Apple, so why waste time with them if they can chase Samsung, HTC, and Moto who pose a threat to them.

rraz
As i keep saying, Motorola are a threat to Apple IN THE USA which is one of the biggest smartphone markets. Motorola are still pretty big in the USA and have a huge backing from the largest carrier in the USA, Verizon. Sony doesn't have the same sort of support, and now that Motorola is part of Google, Apple's arch enemy, they are a huge threat to them.
--
Posted: 2012-06-16 01:10:34

Bonovox Posts: > 500

And Apple have NEVER copied ANYONE?? Never forget when the first ever iPhone came out and people rushing to the shops eager to get their hands on an iPod that makes calls. The thing was shit.

Samsung Galaxy S III
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-06-16 17:25 ]

--
Posted: 2012-06-16 02:30:00

randomuser Posts: > 500

On 2012-06-16 02:30:00, Bonovox wrote:
And Apple have NEVER copied ANYONE?? Never forget when the first ever iPhone came out and people rushing to the shops eager to get their hands on an iPod that makes calls. The thing the shit.

Well in fact Apple copied Sony many times, and Samsung has copied Sony even more !! Sony should sue Apple and Samsung
--
Posted: 2012-06-16 06:22:25

Bono
They've all "copied"/taken ideas from each other at some points, but i doubt Sony wants to get into this whole lawsuit madness, not in their current state, unless they know they will indeed win.
--
Posted: 2012-06-16 09:55:54
Page <  123456>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home