Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : HTC : HTC posts Q2 2012 results, net profit down over 50 percent
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC posts Q2 2012 results, net profit down over 50 percent Bookmark topic
tranced Posts: > 500

HTC has posted yet another weak quarterly result (pdf) with profits down nearly 58 percent compared to the same period last year. It follows a precipitous plunge in profit of 70 percent that it recorded in Q1 this year, after Samsung’s Galaxy S II overshadowed its 2011 product range. Worryingly for HTC, its new and critically well-received One-series line-up seems to have done little to turn the company around in the face of the Samsung, which has just recorded a record profit on the back of its Galaxy S II and S III sales.

Read more...
--
Posted: 2012-07-06 14:14:22
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Pity. I thought their latest range of phones were well received, I actually prefer the One X to the SIII, not that the SIII isn't a great device.
--
Posted: 2012-07-06 15:48:56

randomuser Posts: > 500

On 2012-07-06 15:48:56, goldenface wrote:
Pity. I thought their latest range of phones were well received, I actually prefer the One X to the SIII, not that the SIII isn't a great device.

Actually not. Actual sales have been quite poor of the new One Series. HTC themselves admitted poor sales of their phones a few weeks back
--
Posted: 2012-07-06 15:59:17

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

I actually feel bad for HTC as, they have a really exciting range of Androids, and their SenseUI is still among the best, but at this point it seems Samsung have truly eaten away at most of the Android OEMs profits, most of the OEMs like HTC, Sony, LG etc... just cant make a profit.

I remember reading somewhere that Apple and Samsung take up around 99% of profits in mobile, leaving the rest fighting for scraps, so its really difficult for other OEMs right now.
--
Posted: 2012-07-06 20:57:32

Geezay Posts: 316

On 2012-07-06 20:57:32, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I actually feel bad for HTC as, they have a really exciting range of Androids, and their SenseUI is still among the best, but at this point it seems Samsung have truly eaten away at most of the Android OEMs profits, most of the OEMs like HTC, Sony, LG etc... just cant make a profit.

I remember reading somewhere that Apple and Samsung take up around 99% of profits in mobile, leaving the rest fighting for scraps, so its really difficult for other OEMs right now.

Apple and Samsung have really run away with it. According to CNet News the two account for 90% of the profits and 55% of the marketshare, awesome! Other OEMs will need to pull out something really special to compete with those two. And with Samsung making its own components as much as they do, they seem unstoppable!

HTC's One Series has been bedeviled by a few issues. As well received as it was, Apple did put a spanner in their works with that import ban into the US that has since been lifted, but the damage had been done. Not to mention the issues with the battery and other reported flaws.
--
Posted: 2012-07-08 15:58:43

goldenface Posts: > 500

Quite depressing rather than awesome IMO.
--
Posted: 2012-07-08 17:12:21

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

The others need to work harder, do a ton of R&D, take risks and follow them up with support. Who ever thought the Galaxy Note would be such a success? Dell did the whole 5inch screen phone 1st, yet it flopped, Samsung did the same, and even added a Stylus and a wealth of office/productivity tools that use it, what that tells me is that Samsung must have invested heavily in R&D and realised that a smartphone like the Note had a sizable market with the correct package, and to their amazement it turns out it actualy had a much larger market than they anticipated, which is the icing on the cake for them.

Sony, and LG have the resources and know-how, Sony actualy have the tools to become another Apple, such a shame they arent finding a great way to put it all together, if they report poor results im not going to feel sorry for them, they continue to put out mediocre devices and have not really pushed the envelope since the X10.
--
Posted: 2012-07-08 18:28:19

Bonovox Posts: > 500

HTC produce some cracking phones but lately all I ever read on the net is about their poor reliability
--
Posted: 2012-07-08 20:16:00

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home