Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Blackberry : BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE Bookmark topic
Page <  1234567>

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

Guys ... I'm really sorry for the poor quality of the video, I don't have a tablet nor another smartphone so I have to use my Mac Mini's iSight (original external over FW800) to record. Also I'm super tired today slept only 2hrs and I think I zoned out in silence about 3 times in the video - so take it as comic relief lol.

Answers to some questions:

Browser ... now that is a tough question to answer - even how I understand it in 2 different ways.

Multiple tabs open, or just one, I'm not sure what the timing cycle is for the page(s) to refresh automatically. I cannot seem to find documentation on BlackBerry's technical support knowledge base site using search terms "BB10" + "Browser" + "reload" / "refresh" / "cycle" times.

Browser in BB10 will continue to hold a page as "open" in memory until you close the application, when you relaunch there is a setting within the browser's settings menu to allow you to relaunch previously opened tabs.

Application Performance:

Applications launch VERY fast and in decent time over LTE (much faster over WLAN) for those that recollect data upon launch: FaceBook, Twitter, and the Browser is 3 such in-house coded apps that does this. This is why speed upon launch is faster over wlan/wifi which is evident on ANY mobile OS, but in comparison to JB on LG Optimus G (Android 4.0 ICS carrier based) with Quad-Core cpu vs iPhone 4S (iOS6.1) or iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1) vs my BB Z10 I'm very impressed that it beats all of them. Is there a difference between native (using Cascades & C++ or AIR) vs HTML5 or ported applications. (I don't have any Android sideloaded applications as of yet, no Android JB support yet, even in this leaked 10.1 Hybrid OS I'm using - Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1483 - however the official 10.1 to launch in Q10 will have Android runtime 4.1 JB. Looking forward to finally being able to use Google Chrome as I have a plethora of bookmarks from work PC's in the past and now along with new ones on my Mac Mini I'd like to have sync'd.

I've specifically tried to focus on the BlackBerry "CB10" application since its native (C++ & Cascades) through and through! Peek and Flow are shown off along with loading data, showing an update to it's Active Frame when minimized. (BBM does minimal updates too but I'm not chatting with personal long time girlfriends).

I've also shown off the Browser ... not only because it was asked, but also keep in mind that its coded entirely out of HTML5 and still beats all but one mobile & desktop browser in HTML5 performance scores across the board; Tizen bests it by a small margin. Performance in launching, scrolling, opening new tabs, loading websites - which I've shown all on LTE only - is impressive and to be honest I see no difference vs the CB10 Native (C++ & Cascades) app in terms of loading data, scrolling, navigation to different areas, nada!!

UPDATE: Movie Uploaded and available for download via Mega!
https://mega.co.nz/#!ocp2AKiB[....]p4d1ggiBjfRgC1BpEh2u_Gp0YdzUms

Youtube had too many restrictions: under 10 mins and less than 2GB for me to upload. but its in Mp4 format so it should be a universal video to check out.

PS: Sorry for the movie quality being a bit grainy ... its my iSight FW camera from some 6yrs ago. My camera uses a dedicated charger externally and during the breakup with my ex its one of the things I've forgotten! I've done my best.
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-05-02 04:27 ]

--
Posted: 2013-05-01 02:03:08
Edit : Quote

MAD CRAZY demand with BlackBerry Q10 launch in Canada.

Many users on Crackberry and Twitter stating provider flagship stores in Toronto and other capital cities across Canada have no stock until after 1PM EST today, and limited. Customs had held back shipment of Q10's coming from Mexico - all seems to be made there. Stock seems to be prioritized in Toronto first before other cities.

Also ... Z10 has a new leaked 10.1 [10.1.0.1627] a full OS leak not a developer, I'm on leak #2 so I'm waiting before updating to this - Windows 7/Vista is required to install since its a .Exe file. BBLink should NOT be running when you install this EXE.
https://mega.co.nz/#!qIo3lRpS[....]O6G9hbW4UR8KJ9BnD-USkHXa-NtlqA

recording now for yesterday's post.
--
Posted: 2013-05-01 21:40:52

DSF Posts: > 500

Watched the video.. Thanks

The performance looks to be very good. The problem I see is the quality (and lack) of the apps. Eg: twitter. I think it's better on iOS. Youtube is only a HTML5 app, right?
--
Posted: 2013-05-06 15:39:48

On 2013-05-06 15:39:48, DSF wrote:
Watched the video.. Thanks

The performance looks to be very good. The problem I see is the quality (and lack) of the apps. Eg: twitter. I think it's better on iOS. Youtube is only a HTML5 app, right?

Quality of my video is due to using a 6yr old FireWire camera (iSight the original) that shipped for Mac's - it's horrible and sorry about that. Lack of apps is there - I never really horded apps on previous platforms, save for S60 because they where just so useful. Apps can be coded in: C++ (Native), Cascades (QML) which is native but enhances the UI for things like peek and flow within the app menu/tabs as I understand it, Python, and Ruby.

That said the lack of apps depends upon your view. Let me explain if I can.

Having a plethora of apps to the point where you deliver in billions a year for downloads and many of which are duplications or different simplistic layouts of the same thing makes no sense. For example .... I've highlighted the YouTube icon specifically vs the crackberry CB10 application (HTML5 vs C++/Cascades coded respectively). Why does anyone really need a "YouTube" application? Think about this ... it just keeps your sign-on data, goes to the the web service and brings in videos, maybe even catches them. Ooooh the layout can get a bit fancy but its becoming more unified than ever before across all platforms ... it doesn't do ANYTHING else that you can do on your web browser, nothing, no new features, no new functions, nothing. So why should a developer be needed nor waste his/her time coding the app for any platform?? There is no YouTube app on BB10, its just a shortcut that opens to the site in the HTML5 coded browser (which does support flash if enabled in it's settings). The only thing this shortcut does beyond being a branded icon is that it keeps the browser processes different from your existing opened sites in the browser, doesn't co-mingle the two.

Basically what I'm saying is ... no application should exist, especially for a web service in which doesn't improve upon the experience of accessing it through a browser on a mobile device nor makes it useful, nor changes the experience enough to be perceived as an improvement. That's just my perception. Some banks have a horrible mobile internet experience and its slow regardless of your internet connection due to the security protocols used, so apps make perfect sense for a mobile platform to have.

Twitter ... the BlackBerry in-built app exists, and there are others, but I chose Blaq as right now its the best experience for BB10/QNX based BlackBerry devices (Z10, Q10/PlayBook respectively).

New apps are being created daily and seems to be faster now since the Q10 launched.
--
Posted: 2013-05-06 17:33:36

Pvekselman01 Posts: 1

Hello everyone!

I'm Peter, and I'm new to the site.

I am planning to finally let go of my Sony Ericsson phone (I've been a loyal user for 8 years or so), and I'm thinking of getting a Z10.

I read a lot of great reviews, but I wonder, how easy (or difficult) for you to transition from an SE mobile to a BB?

Looking forward to great feedback.

Peter Vekselman
http://www.slideshare.net/PeterVekselman
--
Posted: 2013-05-09 07:52:47

Welcome Peter.

Some key points regarding jumping from a Sony Android to BB10 device such as Z10.

1. Bookmarks:
try to use Chrome to consolidate all your bookmarks, then from the Desktop Chrome browser export them to an HTML or text file (preferably the latter). BlackBerry Link (BBLink for short) is very limited in it's early version, as it no longer uses the IntelliSync technology (licensed by Nokia, yet the tech existed when it was its own company some 18yrs ago). This tech is used in just about EVERY desktop sync client for smartphones by every mobile OS since Windows Phone Edition (predating 6.1). BBLink doesn't migrate bookmarks - except from a previous/existing legacy BlackBerry OS. There is not desktop sync ... thus consolidate your bookmarks from Android and then export from desktop Chrome ... then send via email to yourself or transfer using the USB connection to the MicroSD card and manually launch each site.

NOTE: There are NO FOLDERS in BB10 (Z10/Q10). It's a legacy system that has existed in desktops forever. It's a REAL pain to manage I know ... but I'm starting to get the hang of it and it really does work well. Instead there is "Tag's" ... you can set multiple tags for each bookmark, only after the bookmark is saved.

2. Save your .APK files ... applications that can be migrated to .BAR files where the Z10 can use by Sideloading into the Z10. The easiest method is to use the PlayBook Manager extension in Chrome.

3. BB10 Browser supports Flash!
- All youtube sites and others are accessible, this is off by default.

4. MicroUSB & MicroHDMI Ports
- standard for charging and data ... along with HDMI 1.2 support with Sound out!
- DLNA is also supported as well for wireless

5. Lack of Customizations:
- no widgets or themes are approved. (Some apps that currently need to be running in the background can theme Z10, but limited ability). Wallpaper can be set but its the same for Lock/home screen.
--
Posted: 2013-05-11 18:27:29

Signed up for the beta and downloading BBM Channels for installation.
--
Posted: 2013-05-14 18:19:42

Away Posts: > 500

http://store.shopblackberry.c[....]F1178ACCBEF64059A7357E2A369D46

http://www.carphonewarehouse.[....]t=undefined&giftType=undefined

Never thought I'd say this, but tempting...

Android has the same bugs after major updates. iOS is too closed. Windows is (was at least) missing basics, and too closed.

The more I find out about bb10, the more impressed I become. I used to hate blackberrys when they were popular. bb10 is interesting.

Now all they need are amazing hardware specs to future-proof their devices.

Are there ANY rumours for upcoming devices?
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-12-01 00:10 ]

--
Posted: 2013-12-01 01:07:29

lilyjoin Posts: 3

The last paragraph above is not new RIM has been doing this for other 15yrs; and is still a leader of immense efficiency. Now combine this with the paragraph below and think GPS telemetry, driving, MMI mapping systems, think elderly falling in the house and injured auto assistant calls, siezure from children................
http://allmobilespec.com/
--
Posted: 2014-02-01 12:04:32

Away,

I think if you choose to try out BB10 you'll need about 30 days to fully appreciate it especially with Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 OS versiĆ³n.

I'd like to think of the screaming want for cpu power in a smartphone to that of 4/6 cylinder to 8/10 cylinder engines. 10yrs ago we'd all want the latter even with earlier turbos the 4/6 just couldn't keep up and high raving production engines with after market kits just where not made for that for long term applications. Today with a 2L 4 banger and turbo, like the RS3, you get over 300bhp, incredible efficiency and phenomenal torque equal to that of a 1990 Ford Mustang (better at fuel of course). Even a 5 cylinder engine in a TTRS wipes the floor with a lot of sports cars $10k more even the R8 has the same 0-60/1qtr mile performance.

Now it's all about fuel efficiency and performance - same with smartphones. How efficient are you going to be at the same relative tasks, how is that I formation relayed or displayed to you and how productive are you throughout the day?! How much fun or pleasure do you get from using it after getting used to it.

Some android apk's I can run except those requiring Google services - Gmaps works though without issue.

10.2 is polished and what BB10 Shouldve launched with. Greater things are coming and at a.much faster pace.
--
Posted: 2014-02-01 20:47:51
Page <  1234567>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home