Esato Mobile
Information : Esato News Articles : BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 announced
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Information > Esato News Articles > BlackBerry Q10 and Z10 announced Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Every store I been into they have said there is massive interest in the new BB phones
--
Posted: 2013-02-04 18:59:38
Edit : Quote

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

Hi Guys ... just got mine a few minutes ago.

Preliminary impressions:
Hardware ... RIM's 5th try at touchscreen in various iterations; they finally nailed it!
TouchScreen - on par or even better than iPhone for navigation/selection (looks like PlayBook; much more responsive); haven't tried real data entry yet.

Setup: You'll need an active MicroSIM card or WiFi connection to complete; I fear this is the sign of times going forward for all platforms. (a slight annoyance but was boiyed with my experience with iOS/PlayBook).

BlackBerry Link - Desktop Manager replacement ... DAMN!!!!!!
This thing is ... Elegant, well organized UI layout, and FAST: Fast for switching menus, accessing UI, fast for accessing content (playlists, songs, videos, pictures etc - I have over 21GB of iTunes organized music, 12GB of Photos, 40GB of Videos; most I store on external yet not counting those. Accessing any of these is FASTER than Windows 7 explorer). Most impressive.

Sync'ing ... I've noticed in Win7 on the task bar the app icon slowly updates with a ring around its border - very subtle!

Browser ... 1 site checked ... my almar mata ... typing e,s,a,t,o ... results for esato.com shows up. bringing up the site shows in a narrow column 1/3rd the screen width which was odd to me, easily fixed with double-tap zoom. I'm just wondering why it showed up this way.

Speaker: testing out default notification sounds ... LOUD & CLEAR! Most impressive. iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5, LG Optimus G, Sony Xperia Arc, SGS II, SGS III don't equal. SGS III and Xperia Arc come close to full volume but this is subjective as I don't have any of these to test the same sounds = grain of salt.

30MB Update already waiting ... will not download even on wifi without 20% battery charge - very frugal BlackBerry.

I'll have a full run down tomorrow guys.
Thus far ... this OS is fast.

PS: Boot time from initial battery sit in ... under 1mins to actually USE the screen in the demo. FINALLY!! Whomever at RIM figured this out NEEDS a BONUS and a well deserved vacation.
--
Posted: 2013-02-07 04:27:58

Indiandawg Posts: > 500

^ Even I watched a video comparison of BB10 Vs Android, I have to say, BB10 is a very fast OS.

Here's the link of that video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvbtkWFDFM
--
Posted: 2013-02-07 06:03:31

BIG news today!!

BlackBerry Announces Two New Board Directors - Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2013-02-07/a_KBU7wGv4fU.html via @BloombergNow

two new Directors to the Company's Board of Directors - Richard "Dick" Lynch, retired Executive Vice President of Verizon Communications Inc. and Bert Nordberg, former Chief Executive Officer of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

Do you think BlackBerry's new competitive push for online music/video was just a coincidental suprise?!
(bigger partnerships for Sony is a BIG thing)
Also with former EVP for Verizon mean's better understanding of branding, testing, roll-out than they ever had before.
--
Posted: 2013-02-07 16:55:53

Dups! Posts: > 500

Thanks for the preview, Hardened!

Now I am really envious!

I will mention it again, this OS has the potential to be the best OS in mobile OSs. You can just see the potential in its infancy.

I am itching to get my hands on it.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2013-02-07 16:22 ]

--
Posted: 2013-02-07 17:20:39

(EDITED: just realized I posted my girls measurements so I could get her a dress; surprised nobody noticed, lol)

BB10 on Z10.

Hi everyone,

I'll hope to show what I've experienced using the BlackBerry Z10; coming from an old BB user, iOS user, and casual Android flirter.

Keyboard:
Typing has always been an incredible experience on BlackBerry's. Save for the previous touch screen devices from RIM - Torch 9800/9810, Storm/Storm II, and Torch 9850/60. One could favorably argue that the typing experience on the BlackBerry is the best: entry speed, accuracy, prediction, and also autotext.

This new virtual keyboard, supposedly powered under joint development with Swipe, just delivers on BlackBerry's (or RIM's) previous strengths:

Data Entry Speed & Accuracy>
beyond having a preset database internal to the OS to choose from to make spelling errors corrected "leki" that last word was supposed to be like.

Prediction (more than just 1 word)>
Text prediction is nothing new, and in actuality allowing the end user to specify which words it can save was started by BlackBerry a long time ago, even with feature phones where ruled by SonyEricsson's, Nokia's, and the like.

RIM did two specific game changing features in this aspect that ALL smartphone now pay homage to without uttering a word. The first was internal database entry - the end user could enter the words/names/shorthand words they type most often. Secondly, RIM had AutoText - first introduced on BB OS 4 devices. This specifically allowed the end user to type 3 characters as a shorthand, then have them enter a word/phrase/paragraph that would auto correct/replace the 3 characters defined: in sms, mms, bbm, emails, chat apps, or in the browser say doing anything on the next.

Since then, RIM (now BlackBerry) has changed the name 'AutoText' into Shortcuts, like Android/iOS has - which I feel both are still limited at this offering; paling in comparison. On BB10, the KEY differentiators is how shortcuts/auto correct/prediction is displayed, and being able to type up to 3 languages on the fly yet into context.

Over the past 10 days, typing with one hand has become both so much easier than with 2 thumbs I've experienced on other devices - including the 9900, 9790/80, 9700, iPhone 5/4/4S/3GS, etc etc. It's learning from my key entries over this time, emails I've sent (even not from the device but in my mailbox that is sync'd to my Z10),

Pro:
Nothing like it on the market and delivers over & beyond the hype BlackBerry stirred about this keyboard.

Cons:
Realizing that switching languages, swiping to input words, and switching to alternative keys is so fast - you no longer have an excuse not to reply to someone just because you have 1 hand free only

Display:
With this resolution, , the Z10 is not gonna win any spec's pissing contest, but what it does deliver is incredibly accurate blacks, great readibility at very impressive reading angles, and in daylight (something I've only had 2 days to experience since its Winter here in Toronto and has been quite dark lately.

The surface is impressive to the touch. what I mean by this is its not like the Nexus devices where it seemed like some permanent oily surface was on the screen itself - which increased finger sliding resistance; not ideal. The responsiveness is a dream - touch selection and interface is accurate (uncannily like iOS), and fast to use - better than iOS on even the iPhone 5! Gestures are heavily encouraged on this platform and you'll have an incredible experience doing this for even the most common tasks you'd think what in the world was Android/iOS thinking without it in such routine tasks.

Pro:
Speed, Accuracy to touch, and at just the right smoothness and resistance is to die for.
Cons:
- getting used to gestures should be natural; yet we've been trained not to use gestures heavily on competing platforms.

Navigation:

Navigation, is at the core of the OS ... and should be for every OS. This is how we get into Settings, Applications, enable/disable features of the device/apps, how we browse the Internet, Media/Files, and switching applications.

On iOS ... each navigation is set by the home button paradigm. You require the Home button to minimize/close apps, get into settings of the OS, and to use Siri (as a primary action to use her). Yet navigating files, is highly limited and based on Applications that have a rudimentary file system (Dropbox for pictures, Box.net, GoodReader, etc). Due to this there is no consistency with navigation between the OS and apps - the ONLY place you see any congruence is when using a 3rd party app to get into your pictures; this uses an API set by Apple and thus is uniform in this sense; yet nowhere else. A home button is so frustrating and very slow.

On Android ... there are some gestures you can use - like on the lock screen to use its lock widgets/camera, get into notification shade, and switch through its various home screens. Yes The Galaxy Nexus & Nexus 4 both have on-screen dedicated soft buttons, which rotate right-side up when the screen is rotated by is user. However you're still a victim of the Home button and task switcher buttons. You require the home button to quickly get to the central home screen, you require it to get to the home screen as a primary function to do so when in an application. Alternatively, you can use the task switcher soft-key to jump to home but you still need to scroll to it - which may not be visible. I applaud Google for improving Task Switching for applications, its where native Android is at its best for gestures, however running up to 8 applications (for comparison to BB10), I'm still slightly faster for closing running applications. Actually I can jump out of an application, close that recent app, and close the next one (or another 6) twice as fast on the BB Z10, than I can on Galaxy Nexus/Nexus 4 or other Android devices.

On BB10 gestures are heavily influenced throughout the core OS. Navigating files, settings, minimizing/closing apps are holistic in experience. 3rd party applications, even those side-loaded from Android use these core gestures. I've read elsewhere that even die-hard RIM BB users would have a learning curve to this - yet its so far from the truth. These are the same gestures we've seen on the 1.5yrs old BB PlayBook, and many very similar to the Palm Pre. Applications are using the API's correctly and becoming more uniform to access their custom menu's etc. Something so simple yet so effective!

Applications - beyond core offerings:

Applications are still flowing in, some of them are beautifully designed in UI layout, efficient and very effective - following design standards set by BlackBerry (as both iOS & Android has these as well). Unfortunately too many applications are just strick and rudimentary ports from Android - without any effort to "clean-up" the port; leaving them buggy, and worse off poorly designed and not too enjoyable to use.

Pros:
Core developed applications are fast, stable and a joy to use.

Cons: Too many basic level ported Android apps that run like crap. Over time this will change, how much time will be critical.

There is more to this OS but I think I'll let you all have a try in your local stores wh
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-04-13 20:18 ]

--
Posted: 2013-02-16 06:39:17

Now you've got me confused! I really, really love the QWERTY-equipped Q10 but after reading your thoughts on the Z10 typing I don't know which one to take.

Thanks a lot for making it hard for me

Pre-orders are up for us, we are definitely getting the Z10 at the end of this month beginning of March.

I just wish the Q10 was out and reviewed, I don't want to rush and get the Z10 and end up missing the keypad of the former.

I have been reading rather negative reports about the battery standby times being poor. How's yours holding up.

Keep your experiences coming, appreciated.
--
Posted: 2013-02-16 10:30:30

A very good read over at Gsmarena!

Now, that is what I call a review not that half-arsed attempt by Phonearena that I complained about a while back.

Gsmarena covers everything beautifully!

--
Posted: 2013-02-16 11:40:15

On 2013-02-16 11:40:15, Dups! wrote:
A very good read over at Gsmarena!

Now, that is what I call a review not that half-arsed attempt by Phonearena that I complained about a while back.

Gsmarena covers everything beautifully!

I'll have to take a gander. I'm just getting used to adding words to my dictionary on the fly while typing. For example I typed the word typing without the G yet on the space bar I see typing and typin (not a good example sorry), but typin is on the fret above the space button. Trying to figure out how to choose it.??

Getting. A lot faster to type though almost in line to how I'm thinking out my complete sentence which is a bit odd. Lol.
--
Posted: 2013-03-20 10:56:55

Bonovox Posts: > 500

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.u[....]y-approval-from-uk-government/

Seems something is up about security
--
Posted: 2013-03-20 22:33:12
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index