Esato Mobile
Information : Esato News Articles : First glimpse of what could be the Samsung Galaxy S4
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Information > Esato News Articles > First glimpse of what could be the Samsung Galaxy S4 Bookmark topic
Page <  12345>

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

I think maybe the difference is the amount Samsung spend on crucial things like R&D and the fact that Samsung develop a lot of their own components in house, while an OEM like Htc or Sony have to 1st secure deals with all kinds of component manufacturers and so on, this could also explain why some OEMs take longer to release SW updates.

Samsung have a lot of resources at their disposal, so they do have quite an upper hand, even compared to Nokia in their best day, it's actually quite scary when you see how much of the industry Samsung runs even when it comes to components.

I do wish Htc would sort out their Battery situation though, it's pretty annoying, they always lag behind competition when it comes to Battery tech. Not only do Samsung make big batteries they even fit NFC chips into their batteries.
--
Posted: 2013-03-11 22:45:03
Edit : Quote

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Yeah I know Samung are now he biggest mirco chip maker. They been doing that for a long time. I always thought Sony were more like Samsung with their own in house stuff but they seem to be not quite as they used to be imo. @Tsepz-GP I always think you always make some of the best points on Esato
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-03-11 22:07 ]

--
Posted: 2013-03-11 23:06:21

rickster2kuk Posts: > 500

It's a real testament to how far Samsung have come and how they've totally embraced android.

3 years ago I wouldn't have touched Samsung with a barge pole.

The three main things that have impressed me coming from Sony to Samsung;
1. Hardware
2. Updates (best of all manufacturers)
3. Camera (Samsung seem to have nailed it here (bar 808/N8))

Even touchwiz has grown on me and I think it's more intuitive that it appears.
[ This Message was edited by: rickster2kuk on 2013-03-11 22:36 ]

--
Posted: 2013-03-11 23:32:26

randomuser Posts: > 500

Confirmed it's the final GS4 design

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]Galaxy-S-4-picture-yet_id40729

All I have to say is - YUCKKKKKKKKK

This is what you call PIG UGLY
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-03-12 09:29 ]

--
Posted: 2013-03-12 04:39:16

Thanks Sean many of these things I've learnt from all the past debates on this forum and some others, must say a part of me misses the days of Dogmann, Boinng, Whybe, Synn etc...How much they used to argue and yet how full of knowledge they were about this crazy industry.
Yep, Sony don't seem to be the powerhouse they used to be.

When ST-Microelectronics and Ericsson got together I thought we would see Sony gaining the most benefit out of their NovaThor chipsets, and see a true challanger to Samsung Exynos in the Android arena, but that didnt happen.

Rickster2kuk

+1, same here! I remember looking at TouchWiz and not taking it seriously until I got a GS2 and I was simply blown away at how fast, fluid and ridiculously functional it is, one of the many functions being the multi item clipboard feature, allowing us to copy/paste multiple things without worrying that anything will be overwritten, seems no other OEM has this to this day, also the built-in capability to Blacklist certain numbers, and now their focus on multitasking with multi view amongst other things.
--
Posted: 2013-03-12 14:59:06

Away Posts: > 500

Exynos was beaten by the S4 pro in the time of the Note 2, and afaik, Samsung still haven't got integrated LTE. Qualcomm 's s800 should be the best chip this year for a phone.

Sony are becoming the powerhouse they used to be once again. The 2h flagships will make that undeniable. And 2014 should be the time when Sony will bring all their technologies - audio, display, camera (as well as what they already have such as amazing designs and build quality, and being the leaders in promoting and using NFC).

The s4, if these pics ARE real, which, like last year, I couldn't believe (due to how ugly they were), then sure the S4 will still sell, but other manufacturers will be able to compete with on design alone as they have really stepped it up.

The Z with all its intricacies, the One will its overall style, and maybe a few more.

Of the ones that will be able to stay relevant on design alone let alone everything else, I've so far only seen the Z advertised.
--
Posted: 2013-03-12 15:14:05

rickster2kuk Posts: > 500

Looks like I was bang on with the leak being legit, looks more an more like it now.

Yes, the design is conservative but so long as it's comfy in the hand it will win for me (take note Xperia Z).

Looks the sides may be aluminium, camera also looks like it protrudes slightly. LED notification remains (hurrah).

Nature UX 2.0 (new version) looks very much like the current one on the S3 but they seem to have now moved from black backgrounds to white (on the phone function and settings) (aka more like stock android). Not sure if this is a good thing as I understand AMOLED uses more power for white pixels (correct me if I'm wrong).
--
Posted: 2013-03-12 19:56:39

Away Posts: > 500

Stock android settings have a dark background.

Interesting, this may actually be aluminium. I never thought of that.

Quite understandably, bearing in mind the manufacturer.

They might as well outsource the design. Would look better that way.
--
Posted: 2013-03-12 20:03:07

On 2013-03-12 19:56:39, rickster2kuk wrote:
Looks like I was bang on with the leak being legit, looks more an more like it now.

Yes, the design is conservative but so long as it's comfy in the hand it will win for me (take note Xperia Z).

Looks the sides may be aluminium, camera also looks like it protrudes slightly. LED notification remains (hurrah).

Nature UX 2.0 (new version) looks very much like the current one on the S3 but they seem to have now moved from black backgrounds to white (on the phone function and settings) (aka more like stock android). Not sure if this is a good thing as I understand AMOLED uses more power for white pixels (correct me if I'm wrong).

Exactly, in the end I'd rather have a phone that is great to hold so I can be more productive with it.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the Nature UX 2.0 brings I like the fact that they use white, I'm sick of all the dark looking UIs, Android was starting to look a little dull and depressing with all the matte black, but I also question if its a good idea if the S4 has a AMOLED display....maybe the new FullHD Super AMOLED display has some interesting power saving technique when displaying white?

Anyway more details released, the GS4 will be rocking a PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU:
http://www.gsmarena.com/confi[....]sxg_544_graphics-news-5681.php

Would've liked to have seen another Mali GPU though, simply due to how ridiculously powerful the GPUs in the S2 and S3 were, but I know PowerVR GPUs are apparently what the Devs prefer, and they do make the most powerful GPU found in a mobile device, the PowerVR SGX554MP4 found in the iPad4, and having owned one I can say up to this day not a single HD film or game has managed to fully utilize the monster GPU in it.

Now I wonder what audio chip Samsung will grace the GS4 with? The Wolfson DACs in the GS1 and GS3 were incredible, I hope they don't do like what they did with the GS2 and go with Yamaha or some other weird company.

This is what I like about this OEM, they look at the best component manufacturers for their flagships for all the components that they need to outsource.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-03-12 20:26 ]

--
Posted: 2013-03-12 21:24:29

>500 Posts: > 500

On 2013-03-12 19:56:39, rickster2kuk wrote:

Maybe it's the size of my hands, but I didn't have an issue using the Z when I used it a couple times at work. Each to their own... (in Sony's case, there is also the ZL for purchase which should be more comfortable)

Im having a damn hard time choosing a new phone. My trusty old (and temporary) BB 9700 is driving me nuts. Sony, HTC or Moto/Nexus will get my $ next though I think.
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2013-03-13 01:34 ]

--
Posted: 2013-03-13 02:32:16
Page <  12345>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home