Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : HTC : HTC CEO given 'One' last chance
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC CEO given 'One' last chance Bookmark topic
Page12>

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

HTC’s profits plummeted 98% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2013 and chief executive Peter Chou’s future may depend on the success of the company’s new flagship smartphone. HTC was at one point the top-selling smartphone vendor in the United States, however the company’s lead vanished as rivals began innovating faster. Samsung and Apple now ship 22 times more handsets globally than HTC.

“If HTC fails one more time, then they’ll be under pressure to replace the CEO,” Daiwa Securities Group analyst Birdy Lu told Bloomberg. “HTC One is their last chance to come back after the past two years of declines.”

The analyst has an outperform rating on shares of HTC, noting that the appeal of the HTC One is higher than other smartphones. In fact, at least four brokerages have upgraded the company’s stock in the last month. There are still some people who believe that one device won’t be enough to bring HTC back, however.

“I don’t think there’s a lot to justify people buying into HTC right now,” said Calvin Huang, director of Sapphire Capital Partners in Taipei. “The fundamental problem of Chou and his management aren’t changed by HTC One being a good product.

HTC expects One sales to help increase revenue by 63% in the second quarter to roughly $2.4 billion. BGR reviewed the HTC One last month and called it one of the best Android smartphones available today.

http://bgr.com/2013/05/02/htc-one-sales-ceo-peter-chou/
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-05-03 10:58 ]

--
Posted: 2013-05-03 11:57:47
Edit : Quote

Bonovox Posts: > 500

I got a feeling HTC might fail this year. Generally their phones are not selling and they seem to just then rely on sales of their one and only flagship. Whilst it maybe fairly popular i don't think it's going to be massive. I may be wrong but it's a feeling i get. As soon as the GS4 comes out everyone has forgotten the HTC One already. Many still prefer it but it's not enough to beat Samsung's sales. Given ONE more chance,terrible pun
--
Posted: 2013-05-03 19:41:00

Ranjith Posts: > 500

HTC really needed to have the ONE in the market prior to or along with XZ.That is when they had the chance..to late now competing with the S4!too bad though,the ONE is a very nice phone
--
Posted: 2013-05-03 22:00:06

Yes and they also had the recent issue whereby the manufacturer of the HAAC mics inside it were actually specifically made for Nokia. So they had to remove them and use different ones. That has got to cause more delays.
--
Posted: 2013-05-03 22:44:00

I'm still really into the Htc One, if its screen wasn't smaller than GS4s, and it had Memory expansion I may have considered it.
--
Posted: 2013-05-04 00:22:56

etaab Posts: > 500

HTC fail every time because not only are they poor at being competitive, but they restrict their devices chances with poor decisions.

How many times has Bonovox mentioned the black background of Sense ? look at it, it looks so dull and drab. It doesn't look fun at all. People like us who are in the know it wont matter to, but to the uneducated consumer it looks crap. Sony have a similar colour scheme. Samsung really show off their phones by putting in some of the most colourful UI elements, wallpapers and icons. They look nice, cheerful and fun.

I mean, look at it.. come on HTC !!!!

--
Posted: 2013-05-04 00:58:33

It's a great phone still in many ways but doesn't make me go WOW except for the design,build and front speakers. Am sure with a splash of colour it'll show off that screen to the full. I wouldn't sniff at it entirely. Look at the drab weather widget though
--
Posted: 2013-05-04 12:44:00

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

This HTC One is actually what the One series should've started out with! It's a great design and I'm VERY impressed. If the BB Z10 didn't debut before this would've been my very last try at Android to be honest. It mimics modern design very similar to the iPhone 5 so it "should" grab a few remaining potential buyers of the iPhone 5 whom haven't upgraded yet.

HTC has always used quality materials dating back to soon after being an OEM to Europe providers, and this is in more demand lately so I'm VERY confused as to why HTC has been failing.

Marketing
partnerships with wireless providers
good price range and features of units

^ all of these have been impeccable ... so WHY the failing of HTC has been so colossal in the past 1.5yrs ?!
--
Posted: 2013-05-04 22:27:14

I put the blame on their 2011 line up, the Sensation and Evo 3D. Many OEMs believed 3D was the way to go back then, just as many TV makers thought 3D TV was the next big thing. I get the feeling that Htc had invested a lot into 3D, and had placed the Evo 3D as their main flagship, while the Sensation was a sort of back up for those who didn't care for 3D. The whole 3D thing simply didn't pick up, instead you had the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Apple iPhone4 rip apart the market, and you had Htc, LG and I think a few others caught with their pants down. The Sensation was also plagued with issues, and for a while, Htc seemed to be simply caught completely off guard, I know here in South Africa Htc just went dead, there was a point where the Sensation and Evo 3D became discontinued and we were left with the Desire S, Incredible S, Mozart and Trophy, it was such a mess and they simply have not recovered since.

The 2012 Htc One series brought a lot of potential and it seemed as if Htc were going to make a comeback with the One X, One S and One V, they literally had a phone for every price point from the get go, but they simply did not market them properly, truly wasted opportunity last year by Htc. This year we have the One, Butterfly, First, Droid DNA, and Desire U, they are looking a little better, but again, lack of marketing maybe their downfall.
--
Posted: 2013-05-04 23:07:19

I had the Evo 3D and whilst it was decently speedy phone the 3D feature was awful in the camera. Their new line up now is better with fresh designs too. Maybe their marketing is down to resources?? Their advert for the One X was just daft with a man sky diving with it. Am sure your average consumer is going to do that everyday. Not. The One is gorgeous and fast and an excellent smartphone. But it's also a little dull but i still prefer it's design and build over the S4. Also HTC just never learn with the battery life which is consumers most moaned about feature. I have yet to see any HTC device with a battery larger than 2,300mAh. Samsung manages massive batteries in slim phones why can't HTC.

Nokia Lumia 520 white
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-05-05 02:13 ]

--
Posted: 2013-05-05 03:11:00
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home