Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Nokia : Lumia 1020 vs 808 PV vs any potential rival.
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Lumia 1020 vs 808 PV vs any potential rival. Bookmark topic
Page <  123 ... 212223

mlife Posts: > 500

*** Edit of previous post ***

I have decided to edit the post that used to be here as my opinion of the 1020 vs 808 issue has dramatically changed and I don't think it correctly reflects my current feelings...

I've learned something new about my 1020 which really isn't probably new but something I've totally overlooked while primarily being an 808 user. As I stated previously, I'm not going to get technical but really talk more about my "everyday" opinion of the 1020 as I still maintain that the 808 image quality is far beyond (as of this writing / pre-black update) what the 1020 capable of.... but that's not to say there are not some advantages to the 1020 which the 808 will likely never have.

When I first got my 1020, I was doing little more than comparing the .jpg results and not spending much time considering the actual hardware and how it ALL comes together. The two images which prompted me to change this post are as follows (and I'll explain why);

-This photo was taken inside I market which I frequent... and it came out pretty darn amazing in my opinion... All-be-it not a spectacular photo, I was impressed by how effortless it was to capture it. I simply crouched over, turned on the camera and shot / something which I have done many times with my 808 in the same exact market.... what makes this photo different you ask? ... Ill tell you, the difference is this was ONE PHOTO. When shooting in that market with my 808, I would often have to shoot an image several times till I got one with little or no camera shake or worse manually start adjusting ISO till I got a shutter speed / ISO which worked well for the image.

-Here is a sushi place I often visit while in Charlotte, NC.... I have taken pictures of the front of this building many times but never kept any of my 808 images as they always come out blurry because I was walking up while shooting. Sure, the 808 COULD probably duplicate or exceed this result but it's not really about that... It's the fact that I only had to take one photo and didn't really require a bunch of thought as to HOW I wanted to shoot it, but instead just shoot.

So it comes down to ease of use. I decided to change my stance based on the phone and not my preferences. While I prefer to set up a tripod and use multiple remote fired strobes, I realize that MOST phone users won't/don't do that. So, for the 1020 to even be close in image quality without "correctly" processed .jpg files I have to wonder what benefit the 808 will have once nokia & microsoft make this BSI finally put out a good file as opposed to the over-processed trash it dumps out currently. Stack on top of that the built in post-processing ability of the 1020 and I would have to really start considering the 808 an R&D tool more than the over engineered phone of the century.

Don't get me wrong... I still think the 808 puts out a better image but after playing with both devices I think the 808 (other than manual control) is maxed out where as we are just getting started with the 1020 and it holds by far more potential. I've been wrong before so I'm not above saying that I could be wrong here but I'm thinking the lens element choice, BSI sensor and platforms choices are results of what nokia learned in the previous year from the 808. Unlike my previous post, I'm really curious to hear what false and CU think??? Please do chime in.
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-11-24 18:19 ]

--
Posted: 2013-11-10 17:52:30
Edit : Quote

edited previous post...
--
Posted: 2013-11-24 19:20:27

cu015170 Posts: > 500

Thanks again for all the info mlife, very informative!

And yes, I agree with you.. the 1020 allows for low light handheld shots that are pretty much impossible on the 808. Most 808 owners know that anything under 1/40s and you will get a blurry image.

The 1020 is an 808 for the masses.. its a simplified and more accessible version of that same idea/technology, and from that perspective one might say that it is in fact a better implementation of it overall.

At this point that mostly applies to low light/handheld photography.. during the day you should be able to point and shoot with the 808 without having to re-take the shot.. in most cases.. sometimes the autofocus doesn't work as well so a second shot is required.

But to back up your point further, even during the day you will have to mess with the settings on the 808.. if you want maximum quality you will have to go into manual mode and switch the jpeg compression to 95%, you don't have to do anything on the 1020...

So to the question:

ease of use > IQ

IQ > ease of use

Its all relative, but for most people the first option would be preferable, and then you have to consider that the difference in IQ will only get smaller after the RAW/black update. Where as for "ease of use" I don't expect any updates to the camera UX on the 808, and there is also no way to fix the low light blur issues.. so..

I still retain my position that the 808 produces better pixels, but if that difference gets small enough.. it won't matter anymore.

fbloise congrats on your purchase! I feel like I am being left behind Still.. I think I am going to wait it out until MWC next year and see what they come out with.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-11-25 21:46 ]

--
Posted: 2013-11-25 22:43:17

Not posted in the 1020 thread... I figured I would put the 1020 w/ black up against the 808... I will be shooting some outdoor stuff later in the day but for now....

Shot from tripod (1020)

Original

Same tripod shot w/808

Original

here is a crop from each;

[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-12-21 16:06 ]

--
Posted: 2013-12-21 16:25:06

^ still a little bit noisier, but much better ... what do you think ?

I wish they added a 8Mpix mode to the 1020 so it can go head to head with the 808 in that department as well.
--
Posted: 2013-12-21 17:57:23

On 2013-12-21 17:57:23, cu015170 wrote:
^ still a little bit noisier, but much better ... what do you think ?

I wish they added a 8Mpix mode to the 1020 so it can go head to head with the 808 in that department as well.

I agree but to be honest thats not why I was excited about this update.... I maintain what I have said before in regards to IQ at this level, it just doesn't matter. But when you need it to matter, I feel having access to the DNG is the golden ticket here. below are two more images from the same scene with only default processing done to the 1020 dng via NoiseNinja....

Original

Original
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-12-21 18:54 ]

--
Posted: 2013-12-21 19:50:57

^ ya... the processed image looks very good indeed..

I didn't know about that PS plug in.. very nice
--
Posted: 2013-12-21 20:04:20

On 2013-12-21 20:04:20, cu015170 wrote:
^ ya... the processed image looks very good indeed..

I didn't know about that PS plug in.. very nice

Noise Ninja is great... although I use the plugin, they also have a new standalone app.... By using Noise Ninja and DNG files I'm guessing I can create images from the 1020 at 100 asa which will challenge those from the 808 at 50 asa. Keep in mind the samples I have posted thus far this morning will stress noise levels at they are all exposures around the 2 second mark which is very stressful for such small sensors. I can't wait to get outside and get some images in the 1/125 - 1/2000 sec range and see how the 1020 does.
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-12-21 19:15 ]

--
Posted: 2013-12-21 20:09:04
Page <  123 ... 212223

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home