Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : General : Apple sues Ericsson
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Apple sues Ericsson Bookmark topic
difenbaker Posts: > 500

Apple Sues Ericsson to Reduce Royalties on Phone Patents
By Tim Higgins and Edvard Pettersson
Jan 14, 2015 11:38 AM GMT+0800

Apple Inc. (AAPL) sued Ericsson AB in their royalties dispute over patents to weaken the Swedish company’s hold on wireless technology that it licenses for use in cellular phones across the industry.

The iPhone maker, saying that Ericsson is seeking excessive royalty rates, yesterday asked a federal court in California to rule that the Stockholm-based company’s patents aren’t essential to Long Term Evolution, or LTE, standards.

Apple said in its complaint that even as its iPhone and iPad have revolutionized the mobile device market, “Ericsson seeks to exploit its patents to take the value of these cutting-edge Apple innovations, which resulted from years of hard work by Apple engineers and designers and billions of dollars of Apple research and development -- and which have nothing to do with Ericsson’s patents.”

Ericsson has been aggressive defending its patent, suing Samsung Electronics Co. (005930) in 2012 for infringement, saying the South Korean phone maker failed to extend a licensing deal after years of negotiations. The two sides reached a settlement last January with a new licensing deal over wireless technology in smartphones, televisions, tablets and Blu-Ray disk players. The deal was expected to increase Ericsson’s fourth-quarter sales by 4.2 billion kronor ($520.4 million) and net income by 3.3 billion kronor.

Much of the dispute with Samsung centers on technology used throughout the industry on different devices, such as ways to conserve bandwidth in a wireless communication, improve network access and sound quality and the ability to maintain signal strength while moving, such as in a car.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news[....]lties-on-phone-patents-1-.html

--
Posted: 2015-01-14 05:53:33
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Ericsson has every right to defend itself. Between them and Nokia, the almost invented wireless transmission.
--
Posted: 2015-01-14 16:04:16

chunkybeats Posts: 496

Im sick of Apple and their bullying tactics. Really need to grow up and stop being greedy. I really hope this comes back and bites them hard!!
--
Posted: 2015-01-14 21:40:02

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

On 2015-01-14 16:04:16, goldenface wrote:
Ericsson has every right to defend itself. Between them and Nokia, the almost invented wireless transmission.

WRONG!

Ericsson, like Motorola, Siemens (before the Nokia partnership), Lucent Technologies (late in the game) facilitated the networks and pushed for bands and the Base Stations and upgrades, etc of networks.

The BACKBONE which until as late as middle 2014 was BUILT on the foundation of a Canadian company that folded ... Nortel Networks! Anyone that had ANY access to a cellular networks switch will distinctly remember:
Nortel Switch,
Nokia Switch,
AOM
and the billing system which is made by Glenayre - a modular system that was brought into the common consumer's vocabulary with ICE their Visual Voicemail system for which Apple partnered to make extremely popular!

You need to re-research youself on whom "invented wireless transmission" which I believe goes to Motorola Communications (the business arm that survived the split from it's consumer division). There are a HUGE lot of players which very few are left.

Please do NOT let your fanboyism get into the way of the article:

... weaken the Swedish company’s hold on wireless technology that it licenses for use in cellular phones across the industry.

The iPhone maker, saying that Ericsson is seeking excessive royalty rates...

Funny it suited everyone elses needs when it was Motorola, or Google, or Samsung, etc. But not when it is Apple. You DO realize excessive rates for patents required for mobile communications to WORK - the fundamental patents is being HEAVILY reviewed globally and which only continues to make mobile fees and especially roaming rates EXPENSIVE!!

BTW food for thought ... Apple, BlackBerry and the rest of the consortium that bought the lions share of the Nortel Network Patents - which has the BULK of the necessary patents needed for cellphones and networks to exist in ANY form recently sold a LOT of their patents to Google for use at VERY cheap rates. @chunkybeats ... you need to look at the history and BIGGER finger before pointing one or given one

cheers
--
Posted: 2015-01-16 00:16:00

aussieland1 Posts: > 500

I was aware that Nortel settled with Google but not that it sold patents to Google???? Is there a link that proves that?

Anyway this trial is about standard essential patents which is not what Nortel asserted against Google anyway
--
Posted: 2015-01-16 01:15:14

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

On 2015-01-16 01:15:14, aussieland1 wrote:
I was aware that Nortel settled with Google but not that it sold patents to Google???? Is there a link that proves that?

Anyway this trial is about standard essential patents which is not what Nortel asserted against Google anyway

First you completely misread my statement above.

Let me re-iterate and clarify with some factual links:

First ... Apple lead the "RockStar Consortium"
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Consortium
Rockstar Consortium (originally named Rockstar Bidco)

is a consortium formed to negotiate licensing for patents acquired from the bankrupt multinational telecommunications and data networking equipment manufacturer Nortel.[2][3] Members of the consortium are Apple, Inc., BlackBerry, Ericsson, Microsoft, and Sony.

Consortium led by Apple buys Nortel's patents for $4.5 billion
Source: http://fortune.com/2011/07/01[....]rtels-patents-for-4-5-billion/

Article sub-heading "Google’s Android operating system is the big loser as 6,000 patents fall into enemy hands"
Date: JULY 1, 2011, 9:55 AM EST

The winning bid was five times larger than the initial “stalking horse” offer of $900 million made in April by Google GOOG 1.25% . Google, a relative late-comer in the highly litigious world of wireless technology, seemed to be trying to secure patent protection for its Android operating system.

“No major industry player is as needy in terms of patents as Google,” wrote FOSS Patents’ Florian Mueller after Nortel announced the results of the sale late Thursday. “There are already 45 patent infringement lawsuits surrounding Android, and makers of Android-based devices have to pay royalties to dozens of right holders.”

NOTE: This particular part of the article is probably WHY Apple is going against Ericsson (not the "SE" Sony Ericsson from this article listing members of the consortium)

The agreement includes the planned sale of approximately 6,000 patents and patent applications spanning wireless, wireless 4G, data networking, optical, voice, internet, service provider, semiconductors and other patent portfolios. The extensive patent portfolio touches nearly every aspect of telecommunications and additional markets as well, including Internet search and social networking.

Rockstar consortium selling Nortel patent portfolio
Source: http://www.thestar.com/busine[....]g_nortel_patent_portfolio.html
Date: Friday, January 16, 2015

Rockstar Consortium — a group of companies that includes Apple, BlackBerry, Ericsson, Microsoft and Sony — has agreed to sell roughly 4,000 of the patents it bought from Nortel during its bankruptcy auction to RPX Corp. for $900 million (U.S.).
RPX, which buys up patents to help companies reduce their risk of being sued for patent infringement, will make the purchase through its subsidiary, RPX Clearinghouse.
Rockstar originally bought around 6,000 patents from the Nortel bankruptcy sale for $4.5 billion. About 2,000 of those patents were distributed among various consortium members and are not part of the sale to RPX.
RPX is contributing about $35 million towards the deal. The remainder of the costs are being covered by a syndicate of more than 30 companies, including Cisco and Google.
“This is the largest syndicate of its kind and it proves once again that our clearinghouse approach can transform the patent licensing process from one dominated by prolonged litigation to one that is transparent, scalable and provides a rational outcome for licensors and licensees alike,” RPX co-founder and CEO John Amster said in a statement Tuesday.

^ other sources:
http://thevarguy.com/business[....]tium-sells-nortel-patents-900-
Date: Dec 24, 2014

So when I stated that Goldenface and implying Chunkybeats where wrong (Chunky should need to check why he's point the finger and givin it ) it's simply because of this known fact:

Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d5d[....]0144feabdc0.html#axzz3P1byzTCk
Date: July 1, 2011 8:34 pm

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d5d[....]0144feabdc0.html#ixzz3P1efKrux

Kasim Alfalahi, chief intellectual property officer at Ericsson, said: “The Nortel patent portfolio reflects the heritage of more than 100 years of its R&D activities and includes some essential patents in telecommunications and other industries. We believe the consortium is in the best position to utilise the patents in a manner that will be favourable to the industry”.

--
Posted: 2015-01-16 23:23:17

aussieland1 Posts: > 500

Thank you for the link however that still doesn't explain what this has to do with the Ericsson vs Apple . These are patents bought for 4.5 billion and sold for 900 million - again completely unrelated with the Ericsson patents
--
Posted: 2015-01-17 02:57:14

Martingail12 Posts: 1

I am Martin Gail. I love teaching, I have 7 years teaching experience in UK, Teaching Statistics to a wide range of students from Elementary level right through to PhD Students. Currently, I am providing my tutoring services at SPSS Tutors. I have a kind and patient style of teaching and love to help and explain. I love reading when I have free time there is nothing better than reading a good science fiction novel. I have a bachelor and master degree in Statistics.
[ This Message was edited by: Martingail12 on 2018-07-17 08:32 ]

--
Posted: 2018-07-17 09:32:00

geliebte Posts: 32

I hope the prices for the phones will be lower
--
Posted: 2020-10-18 18:21:56

nat121 Posts: 6

iPhone is one state of the art technology. The prices does reflect the high techs in the phone. If incase your phone needs repairing, you can try to get your iphone repairing in amazing prices from gadgetwizuk
--
Posted: 2020-10-21 16:50:23

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home