Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Blackberry : Blackberry rumors thread 2015
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > Blackberry rumors thread 2015 Bookmark topic
Page123>

difenbaker Posts: > 500

Blackberry Might Be Making an Android Phone

Chris Mills
6/11/15 10:11pm



File this one under ‘ faintly plausible rumors’, but Reuters is quoting a number of sources as saying that Blackberry is planning to launch a smartphone running Android sometime this fall.

According to the report, the handset will be a slider, with a physical keyboard that folds out portrait. That sounds remarkably similar to the device that Blackberry recently teased at Mobile World Congress, which had a curved screen and a fold-out keyboard — although, judging from the blurry press photo that went along with the release, that handset was running Blackberry 10.



An Android phone would be the ultimate admission that the BB10 project, which was meant to be the saviour of the company, has totally failed (something the rest of the world is more or less in agreement on, by the way). With device sales falling and no-one bothering to build apps for Blackberry’s OS, an Android phone would be a way for the company to hang onto its remaining crown jewels — namely, a hardcore fan base with a fetish for devices with physical keyboards, and a few pieces of useful enterprise software.


http://gizmodo.com/blackberry[....]ng-an-android-phone-1710781712
http://www.reuters.com/articl[....]pe=RSS&feedName=technologyNews
http://www.stuff.tv/news/will[....]run-android-instead-its-own-os
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015[....]smartphone/?utm_source=mainrss
http://www.pcauthority.com.au[....]ckberry-phone-run-android.aspx
http://liliputing.com/2015/06[....]3A+Liliputing+%28Liliputing%29

BlackBerry considers releasing Android phone, says report
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/b[....]ing-android-phone-says-report/

BlackBerry tipped to possibly release Android smartphone
http://www.slashgear.com/blac[....]e-android-smartphone-11388053/


cheers!
--
Posted: 2015-06-12 08:00:13
Edit : Quote

Dups! Posts: > 500

Time to consider my next move yet again. I don't like Android at all.

It is between iOS and Windows should this turn out to be true. I love BB10 and it pains me to think that this may be the way to go for BlackBerry.

My take is that they did talk about the possibility of an Android phone, the question is how far along did the talks go? Too many unanswered questions, like is it going to be a fully-fledged Android phone or some variation seeing that BB10 can use some Android apps?

I doubt, though, that BlackBerry will make any money out of an Android phone or phones, heck, everybody except Samsung, Huaewi and maybe LG is losing money.

Bad move by BlackBerry if this is true.
--
Posted: 2015-06-12 10:51:24
Edit : Quote

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

I doubt anyone incl. Microsoft themselves are making money off of WP, we know BB isn't making much with BB10, except last Q with John Chen's cost cutting moves.

3-4years ago it was only Samsung making profit on Android, yet in 2015 by your own admission Huawei and LG are now making profit, HTC were also reporting profits up until this Q, lets not forget Xiaomi, although small, they also make profit off Android.
What the above says (at least to me) is that Androids profit potential is there and is growing, it is simply down to the manufacturer to differentiate themselves and be aggressive about it.

As for BB, I am not sure how well they will do with Android, their brand has been tarnished, their best bet is to either do a complete rebrand and start from the bottom with a new name, CI and strategy, or change their focus and/or be more aggressive with their push in enterprise, it is a very difficult one. To this day, we have yet to see a mobile manufacturer truly bounce back to their former glory. Motorola got close with the Verizon DROID and DROID X in late 2009/2010, but Samsung and Apple trampled on anything Moto did. Nokia tried with MS but that ended horribly for the Finnish star. The smartphone industry is a tough one, and the top two juggernauts are in bed together in many areas. It's getting really ugly out here for BB.


--
Posted: 2015-06-12 18:40:25
Edit : Quote

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500


On 2015-06-12 10:51:24, Dups! wrote:
Time to consider my next move yet again. I don't like Android at all.

It is between iOS and Windows should this turn out to be true. I love BB10 and it pains me to think that this may be the way to go for BlackBerry.

My take is that they did talk about the possibility of an Android phone, the question is how far along did the talks go? Too many unanswered questions, like is it going to be a fully-fledged Android phone or some variation seeing that BB10 can use some Android apps?

I doubt, though, that BlackBerry will make any money out of an Android phone or phones, heck, everybody except Samsung, Huaewi and maybe LG is losing money.

Bad move by BlackBerry if this is true.


Wow ...everyone is falling for this!!

Let's use our common sense for a moment here.

1. This rumor .... on-going wishes by some BB fans on CrackBerry.com for the last 2yrs that BB10 existed yet never really got traction until :

1a. Thread about a week ago started by another BB fan piecing parts together that the new Slider shown off by a product manager at the last BB conference which we all see blurry photos off, then confirmed by CEO Mr Chen last week at a security conference in Waterloo to debut late this year, that the Slider - has dual EDGE screens.

1b. Dual EDGE screens are made ONLY by Samsung and are patented.

2. Samsung has partnered HEAVILY with BlackBerry to include the FULL KNOX 2.0 in BES12; EMM/MDM (and partial IoT server) that the company I work for is testing and implementing as an upgrade to BES10 and possibly supplant Good Mobile (more on this later).

2b. That press interview by Mr Chen last week also specifically HIM stating that "NOW we can FULL secure Android" devices is stretching this rumor to give it legs. What Mr. Chen SPECIFICALLY means is that Samsung, with the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 EDGE has hardware and software encryption at the highest levels from the CPU, CHIPSET, Broadband radio stack, right into the Android Software.

* NOTE: This is NOT the same KNOW implemented in Googles Android 5.x because they licensed part of KNOX, not the full implementation.

3. A POTENTIAL, and I've specifically stated this on CrackBerry.com (same name there via twitter logon), that BB would be wise to reach out to Samsung to make the hardware NOW due to the full KNOX 2.0 encryption - which BES12 supports FULLY - because Samsung as we all know manufacturers unique Glass designs, CPU's, RAM + Storage ALL on their own. Their not like Foxconn = an assembly plant with glorified manufacturing process for a few parts and fabrication ... no Samsung does it ALL in house(!) possibly having Foxconn help with assembly under just as tight restrictions as Apple does with them.

3b. Samsung is the ONLY vendor/manufacturer that operates in HIGH volumes of scale in the world for CPU's, RAM, STORAGE, and Glass - not just for their ownsake but also for Apple's CPU's! for a majority of the volume.

4. All of a sudden REUTERS states 4 ppl 'close to the deal' wish not to be named because it's not official yet, Bhahahaha ... i'll bet these 4 are (fans from Crackberry).

ALL this comes at a time when BB is getting stronger, no longer IN THE BLACK and it's not SOLELY on 'restructuring' their done with that ... and focusing more on software and services to get the mix up from a SW/HW:20/80% mix! Also note BB's earnings report is June 26!

So what to take home?
Fans or more so than not SHORTS betting on a VERY low stock price for June 26 in huge volumes of 1000 shares minimum for short orders, are ready with their rumor mill to ENSURE this happens. It's been this way for over the last 3yrs affecting BB - this is asside from their BB Storm disaster; as that really didn't hurt their bottom line much (that case of Verizon suing BB 60 million never went through due to contractual agreement negated a positive ruling in their favor hense their push for DROID by Motorola shortly after to combat iPhone).

So ... take that all in and see where it's going.
--
Posted: 2015-06-13 06:31:15
Edit : Quote

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500


On 2015-06-12 10:51:24, Dups! wrote:
My take is that they did talk about the possibility of an Android phone, the question is how far along did the talks go?



Those talks occured before Android 4.x and where Nixed with the purchase of QNX. BB NEEDS to stop firing in house developers and have them work on QNX to completely refine it.

like you I'm used to BB10 and honestly I keep coming back to it cause I love the OS. There are issues, one I cannot resolve with a busy director having ghosted Calendar items disappearing on the fly - I suspect its a 300 second bug but raised a ticket with logs to BB. There are other HUGE UI design inconsistencies that need to be fixed yet overall a LOT has been refined with BB10.3.1.

10.3.2 is still on par to be released. I doubt they have the man power to go with Android OS while still full-filling 10.3.x for vendors, corporate employees, government customers and a few consumers alike! THAT would put them WAY into the 2013 debt hole!

IF this occurs .... I'll do 2 simple things:
1 buy a prestine BB PlayBook as the final in house designed BB and KEEP it pristine with liquid glass screen and their official slim case ... that thing is a PURE BEAST! and pure quality. 2 I'll buy the next iPhone 7 or whatever the name will be and go with iOS since Apple has a HUGE new stance on END user security which seems to "sell to the masses" more than BB since BB is what SECURITY IS in the dictionary and part of their heritage!
--
Posted: 2015-06-13 06:43:00
Edit : Quote

Dups! Posts: > 500


On 2015-06-12 18:40:25, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I doubt anyone incl. Microsoft themselves are making money off of WP, we know BB isn't making much with BB10, except last Q with John Chen's cost cutting moves.

3-4years ago it was only Samsung making profit on Android, yet in 2015 by your own admission Huawei and LG are now making profit, HTC were also reporting profits up until this Q, lets not forget Xiaomi, although small, they also make profit off Android.
What the above says (at least to me) is that Androids profit potential is there and is growing, it is simply down to the manufacturer to differentiate themselves and be aggressive about it.

As for BB, I am not sure how well they will do with Android, their brand has been tarnished, their best bet is to either do a complete rebrand and start from the bottom with a new name, CI and strategy, or change their focus and/or be more aggressive with their push in enterprise, it is a very difficult one. To this day, we have yet to see a mobile manufacturer truly bounce back to their former glory. Motorola got close with the Verizon DROID and DROID X in late 2009/2010, but Samsung and Apple trampled on anything Moto did. Nokia tried with MS but that ended horribly for the Finnish star. The smartphone industry is a tough one, and the top two juggernauts are in bed together in many areas. It's getting really ugly out here for BB.





To be fair, Tsepz_GP, Huawei is making it because of a simple economic position, ie, the majority of the people in the world aren't well off but rather low-earning to mid. Their busines model makes it easy to make profit. LG was never really losing much and they needed to refocus their attention on marketing to turn things around.

Xiaomi is more along the lines of Huawei. I will exclude Samsung here, they have everything to bulldoze everybody with maybe the exception of Apple.

BlackBerry going with Android is a suicide mission IMO, it is not smooth sailing with BB10 btu it will be worse with the former I feel. Their biggest problem, as much as their image is tarnished, is marketing: they are simply inept in that regard.

If they had the marketing budget of Samsung and apply it efficiently I bet they could bounce back. Even with their current budget they can do better but you get the sense that they have shifted their attention too much towards this software company they are becoming.

I'd be happy if they can make a profit just to sustain the mobile division, it would mean I would get my favourite OS and phone.

I know that my next phone is a BB10 slider that is upcoming, it gives me the physical keypad and the large screen- PERFECT!

Of course, this news is to be taken with a grain of salt until confirmation and full details are revealed or BlackBerry comes out and deny/refute everything.
--
Posted: 2015-06-13 11:14:26
Edit : Quote

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500


On 2015-06-13 11:14:26, Dups! wrote:

On 2015-06-12 18:40:25, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I doubt anyone incl. Microsoft themselves are making money off of WP, we know BB isn't making much with BB10, except last Q with John Chen's cost cutting moves.

3-4years ago it was only Samsung making profit on Android, yet in 2015 by your own admission Huawei and LG are now making profit, HTC were also reporting profits up until this Q, lets not forget Xiaomi, although small, they also make profit off Android.
What the above says (at least to me) is that Androids profit potential is there and is growing, it is simply down to the manufacturer to differentiate themselves and be aggressive about it.

As for BB, I am not sure how well they will do with Android, their brand has been tarnished, their best bet is to either do a complete rebrand and start from the bottom with a new name, CI and strategy, or change their focus and/or be more aggressive with their push in enterprise, it is a very difficult one. To this day, we have yet to see a mobile manufacturer truly bounce back to their former glory. Motorola got close with the Verizon DROID and DROID X in late 2009/2010, but Samsung and Apple trampled on anything Moto did. Nokia tried with MS but that ended horribly for the Finnish star. The smartphone industry is a tough one, and the top two juggernauts are in bed together in many areas. It's getting really ugly out here for BB.





To be fair, Tsepz_GP, Huawei is making it because of a simple economic position, ie, the majority of the people in the world aren't well off but rather low-earning to mid. Their busines model makes it easy to make profit. LG was never really losing much and they needed to refocus their attention on marketing to turn things around.

Xiaomi is more along the lines of Huawei. I will exclude Samsung here, they have everything to bulldoze everybody with maybe the exception of Apple.

BlackBerry going with Android is a suicide mission IMO, it is not smooth sailing with BB10 btu it will be worse with the former I feel. Their biggest problem, as much as their image is tarnished, is marketing: they are simply inept in that regard.

If they had the marketing budget of Samsung and apply it efficiently I bet they could bounce back. Even with their current budget they can do better but you get the sense that they have shifted their attention too much towards this software company they are becoming.

I'd be happy if they can make a profit just to sustain the mobile division, it would mean I would get my favourite OS and phone.

I know that my next phone is a BB10 slider that is upcoming, it gives me the physical keypad and the large screen- PERFECT!

Of course, this news is to be taken with a grain of salt until confirmation and full details are revealed or BlackBerry comes out and deny/refute everything.



tend to disagree WRT Huawei and Xiaomi.
The vast majority of Android manufacturers make mid to low end phones, Android is flooded with them especially in China, the home of Huawei and Xiaomi. The margins in low to mid end phones are super thin, Apple pretty much gave up on that area, so did HTC, Samsung are also trying to move away from it. The fact that Huawei and Xiaomi manage to stay afloat in such an area is incredible as they have countless competitors, not to mention the USA are very much against them.
I do not see how their business model makes it easy to profit as its a model followed by many others.

Marketing is not everything though, I would say a fine balance of R&D and marketing is what they need. When Samsung hit their peak they had a large marketing budget but an even larger R&D budget, then when they brought the S4 they switched and that has had their profit sliding down Y-on-Y, if I am not mistaken they recently announced that they are now cutting their marketing budget in favour of R&D again. As

I agree WRT BB going Android being not such a good idea, what they need to do is pump R&D (especially into QNX as Supa Fly said) and Marketing, it can only lead to good things and less dependence on others.

--
Posted: 2015-06-13 13:43:56
Edit : Quote

difenbaker Posts: > 500



The Blackberry Keian/Oslo is leaked
http://www.berryreview.com/20[....]+Berryreview+%28BerryReview%29


cheers!
--
Posted: 2015-06-20 07:16:30
Edit : Quote

hihihans Posts: > 500

😍
--
Posted: 2015-06-20 09:48:17
Edit : Quote

difenbaker Posts: > 500

BlackBerry to launch first Android phone in August

By Nathan George,
1 day ago



Kicking things off with the BlackBerry Prague

BlackBerry has had a tough few years with underwhelming sales leading to struggling finances and fading market share. Although the once-popular phone maker returns this year with a series of Android handsets, the first of which may launch as soon as August.

According to N4BB (via PhoneArena), BlackBerry’s first Android smartphone is expected to launch in August, followed by another higher-end one in November. Let’s delve into the rumours…

The first handset is codenamed BlackBerry Prague. It’s reportedly a low-end smartphone that’s based on the BlackBerry Z3, a budget phone that launched in 2014.

We previously heard reports that the Canadian company wants to combine Android with its trademark QWERTY keyboard, but this might not be the case anymore. Rumours suggest the Prague will be an all-touch device, so BB nuts will have to get used to it.

The second phone in the Android lineup is codenamed BlackBerry Venice, a high-end phone with more impressive specs. Apparently it will sport a 5.4-inch curved QHD display and a six-core Snapdragon 808 chip.

We’re not sure about availability, but several sites report that BlackBerry will only release the Android duo in emerging markets, where the Canadian company still retains a presence.

It will be interesting to see how much more money BlackBerry generates with Google’s operating system. Any hopes for the BlackBerry Classic and BlackBerry Passport have quickly diminished.


http://www.t3.com/news/blackb[....]-first-android-phone-in-august

Leak: Could these be the specs for BlackBerry’s first Android phone?
http://bgr.com/2015/06/18/bla[....]+%28BGR+|+Boy+Genius+Report%29


cheers!
--
Posted: 2015-06-21 15:19:31
Edit : Quote
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home