Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Samsung : Samsung Galaxy Note8 Official
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Note8 Official Bookmark topic
Page <  123, ... 141516>

>500 Posts: > 500

Had an internal preview of the phone last week. Let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll do my best to answer.

With a bit of luck I'll have my own device soon.
--
Posted: 2017-08-24 01:28:40
Edit : Quote

badassmam Posts: > 500

While on paper its a monster there isn't too much to separate it from the S8+. Not sure how the camera will be but this thing is big so while the S8+ is also big, it is pretty comfortable. Fingerprint scanner position is not good, should've been anywhere else on the back. The screen looks good because its more squared than the S8+ but talking to Samsung fanboys, they're still on the fence and a little disappointed that the battery didn't get a bump for example. Not impressed by 6GB RAM, would be just fine with 4GB and would probably make it cheaper because that price is ridiculous. I think they need to make it more different since these plus phones came out; my favorite memory of the Note was the Note 4 because while the S4 was killing it then, the Note 4 killed the S4 and double killed everything else.
--
Posted: 2017-08-24 08:50:07

aussieland1 Posts: > 500

@>500

I would like to know if Note 8 feels as comfortable in hand as S8 plus. I would like to know.more about the camera and battery but I understand that you might not be able to try the phone for a long period. Also if you tried s8 plus ....does Note 8 feel like it is better ? (Worth the upgrade )

Thank you
--
Posted: 2017-08-24 09:45:25

On 2017-08-24 09:45:25, aussieland1 wrote:
@>500

I would like to know if Note 8 feels as comfortable in hand as S8 plus. I would like to know.more about the camera and battery but I understand that you might not be able to try the phone for a long period. Also if you tried s8 plus ....does Note 8 feel like it is better ? (Worth the upgrade )

Thank you

I have an s8+ and s8. I do struggle a little sometimes when using the S8+ one handed, and despite the Note 8 dimensions being marginally larger, I felt it was noticeably the larger phone. I put this down to thickness, that's the one thing I noticed immediately, as well as the weight. I guess it doesn't really matter if you're using the S-pen often, as you're going to then be using it with both hands. In hand feeling is still good, though, in terms of its overall shape. Just imagine an ever so slight larger s8+ with a tad more heft to it.

Devices I had time with were of course running pre retail firmware, so camera interface was a little buggy but was still able to make use of the new features. Live Focus, when I was able to get it working, was easy to operate and end results were quite positive. You're able to adjust background focus in post editing as well provided you take the shot in this mode. Auto mode quality appeared very similar to s8, with the main improvements coming from the modes using the dual cameras. *Note, only the Live Focus mode makes use of both sensors and both feature OIS.

Battery at this stage is an unknown.

Whether it's worth an upgrade from s8+ is very much down to your needs and wants (S-Pen etc). It's easy for me as I won't need to choose one or the other, I'll just use both as I get both from work

Hope that helps.
[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2017-08-24 10:25 ]

--
Posted: 2017-08-24 10:54:04

Luca-S Posts: 278

Very very expensive and nothing much different from the Galaxy S8.
The last great Note for me was Note 4.
Now it's just another gigantic phablet.
--
Posted: 2017-08-24 11:03:15

aussieland1 Posts: > 500

>500

Thank you for the detailed response. Sounds like Note 8 is noticeably larger than s8 plus which is a minus. I will have to try myself to see how much larger it feels. It's certainly not good if the extra weight is felt .

With camera I am am very interested in the 2× zoom. Is it good like the iPhone 's? How about the portrait mode ? I don't expect you to be able to try but if you could it would be very interesting to know. Otherwise as you said the s8 plus camera is already very decent .

For the battery I will wait the reviews to see how it is compared to s8 plus

Thank you for your help
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2017-08-24 19:55 ]

--
Posted: 2017-08-24 20:54:32

On 2017-08-24 20:54:32, aussieland1 wrote:
>500

Thank you for the detailed response. Sounds like Note 8 is noticeably larger than s8 plus which is a minus. I will have to try myself to see how much larger it feels. It's certainly not good if the extra weight is felt .

With camera I am am very interested in the 2× zoom. Is it good like the iPhone 's? How about the portrait mode ? I don't expect you to be able to try but if you could it would be very interesting to know. Otherwise as you said the s8 plus camera is already very decent .

For the battery I will wait the reviews to see how it is compared to s8 plus

Thank you for your help
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2017-08-24 19:55 ]

No worries...

With regards to size, again the biggest things that stick out immediately are the thickness and weight compared to s8+.

Quick impressions are 2x zoom works well and as it should, obviously once you go further than 2x and into digital zoom, this is where quality slowly starts to drop. 'Live Focus' is basically Samsung's version of Portrait mode. To steal a paragraph from Engadget, as it explains very clearly what Live Focus does:

" Samsung's version of Apple's Portrait mode is called Live Focus, and it does several things differently. On the Note 8, you can see and adjust the amount of blur before you capture the picture as well as after. While you're framing your shot, you can drag a slider to open the aperture as wide as f/1.7 to get the most blur. Apple, on the other hand, doesn't let you edit the bokeh after the fact, nor does it show the soft focus in the viewfinder.

When shooting in Live Focus mode, the Note 8's camera defaults to the telephoto lens for a more close-up picture. But you can activate (or disable) a feature called Dual Capture, which snaps the same picture with both lenses, so you get a tight shot as well as a wider one. Dual Capture works only in Live Focus mode, though, and is enabled by default."
--
Posted: 2017-08-25 00:15:55

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

Preordered Midnight Black

On 2017-08-24 08:50:07, badassmam wrote:
While on paper its a monster there isn't too much to separate it from the S8+. Not sure how the camera will be but this thing is big so while the S8+ is also big, it is pretty comfortable. Fingerprint scanner position is not good, should've been anywhere else on the back. The screen looks good because its more squared than the S8+ but talking to Samsung fanboys, they're still on the fence and a little disappointed that the battery didn't get a bump for example. Not impressed by 6GB RAM, would be just fine with 4GB and would probably make it cheaper because that price is ridiculous. I think they need to make it more different since these plus phones came out; my favorite memory of the Note was the Note 4 because while the S4 was killing it then, the Note 4 killed the S4 and double killed everything else.

Note4 came out in the year of the S5 mate. Remember, Samsung only began matching the numbers last year by skipping Note6 and calling it Note7.
But I do agree, the Note4 was leaps and bounds better than the S5.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-08-25 04:30 ]

--
Posted: 2017-08-25 05:24:54

badassmam Posts: > 500

My bad but you get my point, there was a big difference between the Note and S5 in terms of software and design. Congratulations on your order, black is the only one that works with the huge black camera and fps block.
--
Posted: 2017-08-25 06:59:34

XperiaJunkie Posts: > 500

I've always liked the Note range from Samsung and this one looks to be the best one yet except for one rather large detail. Of the 64gb storage as advertised only around 30gb is accessible to the user!! Should've went to 128gb especially considering the price.
--
Posted: 2017-08-25 13:51:37
Page <  123, ... 141516>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home