Esato Mobile
General discussions : Esato forum : Free, but for how long?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Esato forum > Free, but for how long? Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

mhorton Posts: > 500

This site is wicked. We really need to keep it like it is.

There are some really nice people in this forum and that the way it should be. We are like family that you don't see

Please Laffen keep it as it is.
--
Posted: 2002-03-17 11:16:00
Edit : Quote

lor Posts: > 500

yes, laffen rules
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 07:40:00

Eamonn Posts: > 500

[ This Message was edited by: Eamonn on 2008-04-28 00:56 ]
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 14:53:00

jns Posts: 17

We all love laffen and i think he likes that this site is so popular :-) This post was posted from a T68
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 15:03:00

masu Posts: 99

Praise laffen! This post was posted from a T65
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 15:13:00

wizard Posts: 16

Hell yes, dont make this another pay-site.. The only thing that will do, is I or somebody else will create a page just as great, for free.. That was not a joke.. I would also be interested in working for this site as a designer/programmer, if you need people.. As long as it stays free.. Free software forever!
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 15:50:00

johanch Posts: > 500

This is what Laffen told me the 5th of March in a private message (In Norwegian):

" Pr. i dag tjener jeg ikke fem flate øre på dette. Jeg har en avtale med SE-Norge om at det skal sende meg alle nye modeller som kommer på markedet, men man blir jo ikke rik av det. Jeg må nok gå til det skritt å legge ut annonsering i en eller annen form senere. Har snakket med en del aktører i SMS-/logomarkedet i Norge, og alle lurer på hvorfor jeg gjør dette gratis.
Hvis det går ann å lage en MMS tjeneste som gir inntekt, vil jeg vurdere det. Problemet med salg av logoer og ringetoner er at man kun kan ta betalt for skandinaviske/UK/Spania hvor SMS- og WAP billing er teknisk gjennomførbart.
Selv foretrekker jeg tjenester som betales av annonsører, og ikke av brukeren direkte. Vi får se hva som skjer.. "

In English:

"Today I'm not making a cent on my site. I have a deal with SE-Norway that they will send me all their newest phones, but I'm not getting rich because of that... I'll have to put on some ads here on the site in the near feauture. I have talked with some SMS and logo-companies here in Norway, and they are all wondering about why I give you all these services for free... If it is possible to make an MMS-service that I can make som money on, I will do that. The problem is selling logos and ringtones, where it is only techincally possible to charge users from Scandinavia/UK/Spain... I personally prefer services that are paid and sponsered by advertisers. I have not made up my mind yet... You'll have to wait and see"

I think Laffen is really a good webmaster
Keep up the good work!!!

Johan
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 16:19:00

laffen Posts: > 500

The thing is that the Esato site is very expensive to run. If I don't start to make some revenues soon, the site will die. It's as simple as that. It's better for me to have a few paying users than millions of non-paying users. Money talks..

The forum will always be free, but I do consider charging for some of the added logo features in the future. The new image-to-logo tool is such a service. People have been paying for Nokia logos for years even if you could download LogoManager and make your own logo.

If you know about anyone that's willing to sponsor (read: advertising banners) the site, please let me know.

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2002-03-18 17:16 ]
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 16:38:00

xmob Posts: 59

Just as a matter of interest, which sites charge for access? They must be barmy!
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 16:50:00

Linkinpark17UK Posts: 372

I suppose if the worse happens i.e. this site shuts down we could always run different aspects of this site from places such as geocities.

If u wanna keep this site free you could apply to places such as jungle.com and Amazon, they offer banners to put on ur site and if they get a sale u get money. You could always sell our details to certain companies i.e mobile phone shops that have accerories etc for our particular phones.

Although some people might not be too happy that ur selling their details to people.
--
Posted: 2002-03-18 17:10:00
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home