Esato Mobile
General discussions : Esato forum : The legal side of putting company logos on Esato....
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Esato forum > The legal side of putting company logos on Esato.... Bookmark topic
TeleSaint Posts: 219

I was just crusing the esato site, looking for a logo for my T68i when it struck me.

What does the law say about putting logos on the net and making them downloadable to your phone? I mean, does Marlboro know that people are downloading their logo for free? This off course gives them a lot of "free" space to market their brand, but company logo's are copyrighted, no?
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 14:50:00
Edit : Quote

Wings_Talons Posts: 242

The legal side to it is not much in forums and discussion boards. After all such logos are used in cartoons and to make fun of as well. But if the logo is downloaded for any official or commercial reasons then the user will not only have to get prior consent for the respective company but also might have to pay a certain royalty.

Most countries have their own 'logos & symbols' legislations but in the borderless world of internet, there is no law as of yet to regulate the mis-use of logos. Doubts cleared ?
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 15:00:00

dal_l Posts: 97

hmm........ I wouldn't be sure that it's in fact legal. For example, record companies are starting to cramp down on "pop" ringtones, claiming that it's their property ....
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 15:09:00

laffen Posts: > 500

I think it all depends on the company. Your local telecom shop would probably not mind having their logo here. Others are more restrictive. Do you see any Lord Of the Rings or Playboy logos here anymore? Guess why not. Some companies have dedicated resources looking for, and dealing with improper usage of their brand.

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2002-04-03 15:13 ]
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 15:12:00

Wings_Talons Posts: 242

There is always a pay off between getting the benifits of 'free marketing' and 'loss of revenue' from allowing people to download ringtones and logos. But as long as things are free lets enjoy

--
Posted: 2002-04-03 15:18:00

arroyootje Posts: > 500

Yeah, think about all the mp3 files you have on your mp3 player... Like you really got them all from a cd and changed the format to mp3

Long live free music!!!
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 17:42:00

Harleydog Posts: 417

Well, i think the Mp3 analogy is a little different. With MP3's by downloading the song, you actually are taking away revenue to the artist and record company by not purchasing the album, not that you would purchase the album of every song you download.

With logos, there really is not loss of revenue to the company; albeit that the downloads are free. The moment a download becomes pay as you go, then there is a copyright issue; although arguably there is one by just downloading the logo for free. I think as long as the downloads are free, most companies will take the position that its free publicity.

By the way what file sharing program do users use to download mp3's now that napster is defunct

thanks
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 18:48:00

bean_muncha Posts: 81

We should be paid when we use a manufacturer's logo, after all we are advertising there brands.
Napster was'nt that great anyway, always getting cut off and no resume either. I use Kazaa, very good and resume, or try a news server.
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 20:48:00

mrNoodles Posts: > 500

Oki I admit its really off topic
But try DC (DirectConnect)
http://www.neo-modus.com

Probably best of all!

[ This Message was edited by: mrNoodles on 2002-04-03 20:55 ]
--
Posted: 2002-04-03 20:55:00