Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Is the T68i part of a SE experiment................?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Is the T68i part of a SE experiment................? Bookmark topic
kolhatkar Posts: 45

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a thought for the day.

SE released the T68m last year to the excited public who went in droves to the shops and purchased said item.

The T68 had a slightly different form factor from its nearest rivals, but the main selling points were the colour screen and its 'everything but the kitchen sink functionality'.

SE have upgraded the software and made it available to existing users.

They then release the T68i - its asthetically different and existing T68m users can upgrade their software to achieve identical functionality.

So, to recap, we now have to identical phones internally, but asthetically different.

SE have functionality as a constant and can now measure the effect of asthetics and the 'wow its new, I must have one' factors on the buying public.

Will it work? - Will SE go down the Nokia route of releasing lots of new phones with very little difference, if at all (see 3310/3330 3410/3510 for examples).

I certainly hope not, as it would lead to a manufacturing rush to release new phones quicker than the competition, changing only the minutia rather than concentrating on technical advances.

Ish

--
Posted: 2002-04-10 14:09:00
Edit : Quote

ben Posts: 24

I don't think so. I think Sony just wanna release something "SonyEricsson" not "Ericsson". And the other reason, in my opinion, is that they want their new stuff as fast as they can so the easiest way is to change the shell of the existing phone and putting the SW that is already developed.

[ This Message was edited by: ben on 2002-04-10 15:07 ]
--
Posted: 2002-04-10 15:05:00

TeleSaint Posts: 219

New is always the thing to have until it becomes old or u get bored with it. I can't stand to ahve a phone for maximum a year.

Scratches and look worn
It get's dirty
Doesn't look new any more FAST
Poor battery perf. the more you use it
Old design

The MORE u use ur phone, the worse it gets. Now if you used you car as much as you use your phone, how long do you think it would last. Phone companies should make phones that last longer, or change the covers for a reasonable price, this makes the phone look new again...

Basically NOBODY WANTS an old car if they can have a new one (read afford)

Why am I writing this, must be tired..... Can't remeber if it has anything to do with the topic at all..

Back to work..
--
Posted: 2002-04-10 15:07:00

bart Posts: > 500

need money so they bring out the best selling phone of 2002 in a new design so they have new money for R&D
--
Posted: 2002-04-10 15:30:00

oneeyejack Posts: 102

this won't happen. just look at the upcoming p800 or z700

two totally different designs.

p800

z700

--
Posted: 2002-04-10 17:01:00

arroyootje Posts: > 500

I think it's probably a bit of both. They'd want to see people's reaction of the 'new product' and their 'new brand'....

--
Posted: 2002-04-10 18:23:00

Deltayoda Posts: > 500

Those phones look a bit bulky
I hope they release something small and similar, yet different, to the T68's.

Also, the T68i colors are much nicer than the T68m

--
Posted: 2002-04-10 22:04:00

tic Posts: 75

I really don't hope SE will do like Nokia with the 3xxx-series. That is really a hopeless way of producing phones (2-3 new features = new phone, several times!)

I guess SE wanted a phone with the brand Sony Ericsson AND wanted to be the first to release a MMS-phone. It wouldn't have been the same with just releasing a MMS-software for T68m.
--
Posted: 2002-04-11 03:17:00

russtproof Posts: 283

i wrote a nice long message.. but somehow the connection was lost and my message screwed up.. so now all i want to say is that users on nokia (esp. those plannin to buy 7210) are blinded by the fact they havn't tried the T68i yet to realise that the T68i outweighs the Nokia 7210 with it's functions and aesthetic design!!

.. T68 will always be better than 7210 (and any other Nokia handset)

--
Posted: 2002-04-11 06:01:00

ksroy Posts: 18

I don't think so. Even after their marriage (Sony & Ericsson), they already had several phone lineups in the works. It was just a matter of integrating the SE name into the phones and not scrapping the upcoming phones. That's why you see some difference in design between the new upcoming models. Obviously (if you compare it with the older phones) the upcoming z700 is a Sony phone, and the P800 an Ericsson design.

Have noticed, they've been a step ahead of Nokia of late. I think that's a good sign for better phones in the future.
--
Posted: 2002-04-11 06:14:00

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home