Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : 3G Pricing
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3G Pricing Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@voda_jon

I understand that the networks have to cover costs and make a profit, but that still doesn't mean they should overprice their content and services. A wallpaper image costing £1.50 does not use up a huge amount of resources to store, not does it require a heavy use of resources to sell.

If the networks were to make their prices much lower they would probably see a massive rise in data usage and revenue as customers would be more willing to pay for content that they can get free from the internet.

If the networks want people to continue buying what they can get for free and mor eoften, then prices have to come down. If the networks were to massively reduce their content charges now, it would, in my opinion. give their 3G sales a massive boost. I would imagine that many customers would like the idea of being able to download content very quickly and not having to pay a lot of money to do so.

--
Posted: 2005-01-09 22:22:33
Edit : Quote

701 Posts: > 500

the truth is that the media content and data services arent the dominant business in the gsm nets so they r tryin to do the best out of it.One wallpapets costs to themmaybe 3 cents(royalities,fees,hosting) so the profit is 1500% for each customer that downloads that. Multiply it with thousands of customers across the countr and stop finding excuses for them.We r the cows with the milk :D I never bought media contentcuz i have it 4 free over the net but i know lots of others too lazy to complicate themselves so they buy it..it wont work with high prices.They will have to cut it downin order to sell something,anything.. This message was posted from a WAP device
--
Posted: 2005-01-09 22:50:30

@701

Not everyone is technical minded and many people may not know how to get free content from the internet, indeed I suspect tht this scenario would apply to most mobile users.

Data is not the primary source of revenue for the networks, but as 3G becomes more prevalent data services will start to account for more and more of the revenue networks receive. The networks could do themselves a huge favour by making data sevices so cheap that people want to use them on a regular basis.

3G has a great deal of potential with regards to data services, but only if the pricing is at a level customers find acceptable, the current pricing structure just doesn't cut it in my opinion.
--
Posted: 2005-01-09 22:55:53

wagawaga Posts: 32

Swiss prices: Voda live TV here is
4.00 CHF / 2.58€ for 30 minutes or (an expensive way to impress your friends)
8.00 CHF / 5.17€ for 2 hours or
12.00 CHF / 7.75€ for 24 hours access (data transfer included in these prices. 24 hours are ok if you think how much data get effectively transferred).

Wallpapers are 2.50 CHF / 1.60€

Reading news is
0.50 CHF / 0.32€ for 30 minutes (ridiculous!)
2.00 CHF / 1.29€ for 1 week
3.00 CHF / 1.94€ for 1 month access (ok if you use it daily)

Additionally, data access for 1 megabyte is 10 CHF / 6.46€, but there is a VodafoneLive-data-flatrate you can subscribe to for 5 CHf / 3.23€ (ridiculously high if you ask me... )

I'm reading websites regularly through the google web2wap converter, but am not using any of the other stuff (except showing off Live TV ). I'd say give us an unlimited data flatrate for 20 CHF / 13€ and we're talkin'
--
Posted: 2005-01-09 23:07:18

dave_uk Posts: > 500

I wouldn't be so sure about an impending price reduction. I think that what we are seeing at the moment with ringfenced content from 3 and Vodafone continuing overpricing their 2G services into 3G as well, is the networks trying to recover some of the massively over-inflated costs of the licences they bought in '99. It looks as though the regulators, at least in the UK, are starting to crackdown (albeit far too slowly) on the stealth collaboration between operators that is leading to consumers getting a raw (aka expensive) deal. Therefore, until anti-competitive prices are forced down by the likes of Ofcom, I can't see prices falling. The networks will want to squeeze as much profit out of consumers as possible early on, so that they might run into profitability sometime before 5G comes along!

Just MHO....
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 16:40:06

OluYom Posts: > 500

@dave: I heard its Super-3G... :D I agree with Sammy & Scots: If 3g nets want to make more profit from data, vis-a-vis voice, simple biz sense says, 1. lower costs on data to encourage more ppl to use it; and 2. pull down the fences and let ppl browse freely. Any network too stupid to realise & implement these simple principles cannot get a penny outta my pocket. This message was posted from a P800
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 17:32:37

Data prices won't come down until data charges constitute a larger proportion of the network's revenue. Paradoxically though, data charges are unlikely to constitute a larger proportion of network revenue until prices come down.
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 19:52:29

OluYom Posts: > 500

@scots: Exactly the paradox of the situation :) This message was posted from a P800
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 20:06:28

voda_jon Posts: > 500

hello again... over the last 3yrs voda has seen its data revenue increase a great amount... vodafone live! has really opened the networks eyes on how much data can play a part of revenue and how important it is to get it right... dont forget data services r still relativley new and it always takes some time to get things 100% right if ever!...

Vodafone Live! started the data revolution (imho), it was the first to have a full colour menu that defined many of the other networks' portals as well...

J.
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 20:23:48

@voda_jon

I would agree with you to an extent, but I am still of the opinion that greater growth (and profits) could be had if prices were to come down.

Wasn't DoCoMo's imode the first to make data services popular?
--
Posted: 2005-01-10 20:34:37
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home