Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : V800 - number string in T9 word completion
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > V800 - number string in T9 word completion Bookmark topic
sahajesh Posts: 25

Hi,

Just bought the V800 today and think it's a fantastic phone (and I'm normally a Nokia man so I'm doubly impressed!!).

One question I have is that when typing SMS etc using T9, if I have a word with an ' ie where's, the phone changes the work to a number string, in this case 9437317 - it seems to recognise after a couple of times that you want the word where's but it's frustrating and I can't understand why it's doing this.

I've gone into the Language menu and un-ticked the 123... as a writing language, hoping this would help but it's (or 4817 in SE speak!) made no difference.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sahajesh.
--
Posted: 2005-01-30 01:36:36
Edit : Quote

The_Nashy Posts: 134

wen typing a message, goto more, "My Words" and make sure the numbers arn't in there.

If they are, delete them, if not, I don't know.
--
Posted: 2005-01-30 05:26:58

whizkidd Posts: > 500

Hi there! Welcome aboard! I dunno whether this works on the V800. But while the optional words appears, scroll to it and press c to delete it. This message was posted from a T230
--
Posted: 2005-01-30 05:39:21

Nashy,

The My Words menu is greyed out and returns the message Currently unavailable when selected.

Whizzkid, when I tried doing that ie scrolling to the number in the word list and pressing C, the T9 word changes (in the example of trying to type when's) to when.

Thankfully, the phone only displays numbers the first time that word is typed in, it works correctly the next time the word is typed.

On the wishlist - context-sensitive auto-selection between on/no, of/me and an/am!!

Cheers

Sahajesh.
--
Posted: 2005-01-30 07:38:26

whizkidd Posts: > 500

My suggestion was only a guess. Have you tried switching the "candidates" option off? This message was posted from a T230
--
Posted: 2005-01-30 08:04:50

jhmaeng Posts: 27

I think this new "feature" was introduced so that when you are typing phone numbers (or any long number, for that matter) you don't have to switch into the "123..." mode - instead, you just tap the number as usual and if the combination doesn't make up a word in the dictionary, it will assume that you wanted to put in a series of numbers.

The only way around it (which doesn't seem any more inconvenient - just a different way of doing things) is to tap the combination, then choose "Spell". Then from next time, it should show up as a word.
--
Posted: 2005-02-06 19:47:51

jhmaeng,

Thanks for that, that's exactly what I've found ie when you manually spell the word, it knows the next time round. I'd prefer to switch that feature off but the phone is still fantastic and better (on the whole) than any of the Nokias I've had.

Also switched from Orange to Vodafone and their 3G tariffs are so much better not to mention their customer service too.

Cheers,

Sahajesh.
--
Posted: 2005-02-06 23:35:53

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home