Esato Mobile
Information : Esato News Articles : Apps running on Android OS are more stable than iOS apps
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Information > Esato News Articles > Apps running on Android OS are more stable than iOS apps Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

Run_dawn10 Posts: 150

I've had apps crash on various instances on both OS. But at least Android gives a more desktop-like Application Not Responding notification.
--
Posted: 2012-02-04 06:10:00
Edit : Quote

djin Posts: > 500

I too have experience more frequent crashes in ios, especially ios 5 than my android 2.2 . I think the apps were more stable with ios4.. Also it could be that i use apps alot more in ios as compared to android since I feel i can do most of the things at os level in android as compared to ios... Hence more crashes experienced?
--
Posted: 2012-02-04 20:51:00

etaab Posts: > 500

Like this even matters though. The actual number of crashes by either platform is really small when compared to old operating systems like Symbian. I cannot believe these people even performed this kind of research. Total waste of time imo.
--
Posted: 2012-02-04 21:39:37

Bonovox Posts: > 500

And money?? Does research cost money??
--
Posted: 2012-02-04 21:45:12

masseur Posts: > 500

@etaab, I guess this is just a by-product of their main service, which is to provide developers with in app crash reporting of unhandled program crashes. It would take little extra effort to collate the data being sent to developers.
--
Posted: 2012-02-04 21:50:53

tranced Posts: > 500

@etaab: there's a research for everything. There are even researches saying people are this way because they use an OS.
--
Posted: 2012-02-05 02:03:00

Then theres researchers researching the researchers findings, like you'll get reports from one company claiming Apple are dominant in a specific market, then another claiming the opposite just a day later saying the other company are talking waffle.

Effort being little or not, i still think its not really necessary for us to know this, even if they supply developers such information.
--
Posted: 2012-02-05 22:13:44

but surely any information that adds to purchase decisions is useful information, thats what the internet is good for... or do we not need people spending time reviewing products either

in this case it seems to be objective information that is given as it is supposed to be derived from emperical data, compared with reviews which are very subjective
--
Posted: 2012-02-05 22:26:31

I just feel its going a bit too far in comparisons. As you know i do my fair share of Apple bashing (not Apple product bashing though..) but some of these most recent comparisons are a bit extreme. Heres another today..

Designed in sunny California, the iPhone isn’t too good at handling the cold – in fact, Apple only guarantees it will work between 0°C and 35°C.. READ MORE
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2012-02-06 21:04 ]

--
Posted: 2012-02-06 22:03:16

this is getting a bit off topic but this is not a guarantee at all, moreso an advisory. All manufacturers have this and its usually based around the limitations of the battery.

Here is the Apple operating temperature range statement where it says that low or high temperature might cause issues, but reading further you can see that the device protects itself if needed.

Randomly I have just googled the SGS2 manual and it says:-

in which it seems confliciting that the device can operate between -20 and 50 degrees and yet the battery has to be stored (or as Apple call it - non operating) between 0 and 40 degrees. So be sure if you turn your SGS2 off, that you are within that range... doesn't make sense

you'll find that other manufacturers have similar limitations in similar ranges based on the battery requirements, and some like Samsung claim they can actually operate outside those limitations and certainly they can. I would argue that Apple are simply playing it safe in their statement.

Anecdotally, I have used an iphone 4 last year in Queensland in 40+ with high humidity without issue, and I recently used my 4S in Switzerland in -15 degrees and just last weekend in UK in -7 degrees, all with no obvious effect.
--
Posted: 2012-02-06 23:11:15
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home