Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Track your GSM with GPS
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Track your GSM with GPS Bookmark topic
Page <  12

Kimi Posts: 293

Ah - maybe he thinks the GPS Satellites actively know the position of each GPS user. That's not true. The system works passively, the GPS receivers "simply" measure the time differences between the signals of more than 3 GPS satellites (very brief and just an analogy).

So the USA don't know the positon of every GPS user, if that was the question.

GSM phones combined with GPS can offer services ON REQUEST of the phone user. Then and only then the GPS position is transmitted.

[ This Message was edited by: Kimi on 2004-10-09 10:55 ]
--
Posted: 2004-10-09 11:53:36
Edit : Quote

Dragonfly_TP Posts: > 500

yes.. it;s the gps module in phones that can be traced, it can also be used to track your kids, peds or whatever. GSM signals however noway reaches into space. They are tracked on the ground by the some goverment institution (like CIA)
--
Posted: 2004-10-09 12:14:34

knight4led Posts: > 500

companies like sprint offer phones with GPS chips built in, however they aren't for tracking that individual. Like earlier stated GPS is a passive technology. The reason for the GPS chip is so that you can call emergency support and they can know your location to send help, or for the purposes of getting exact directions from an internet map site. The phone is not actively transmitting data on your location. I don't know of any GSM providers in the U.S. that have GPS chips in their phones.

However, with any radio tranceiver device, it is entirely possible to track that device over short distances with triangulation. Just hope nobody is interested enough in you to chase your cell phone signal.
--
Posted: 2004-10-10 21:20:50

k4m!k4ze Posts: > 500

Why go thro all the trouble of triangulation method and GPS ?

Here's a technique that even you can use to find the location of a person -

first switch on your cell - make sure battery is charged.

Next wait for it to detect the network.

Keep the number of the person you want to track ready.

Then send a txt to that person and ask him where he is !

Quite simple aint it ?
--
Posted: 2004-10-10 21:55:09

blackspot Posts: > 500

call him/her and ask, it's faster!
--
Posted: 2004-10-11 04:19:38

Alf Nif Posts: 426

I don't know how it works, I only heard about it. That's why I'm asking and all ideas how it might work are interesting
--
Posted: 2004-10-11 22:11:42
Page <  12

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home