Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : 3G networks - my review/views
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > 3G networks - my review/views Bookmark topic
Page <  123456>

ThreeX Posts: > 500

Thatīs peculiar.. I have 3 sweden pay as you go SIM and i have no problems visiting Esato or setting up my own e-mailaccount!?
Havenīt watched the phone 24/7, but every time i have looked itīs on 3g
3īs portal has been very saggy though, but the dealer i got the phone from said that it is because the enormous amount of new users lately (?) Hmm.. whatever..
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 14:38:17
Edit : Quote

Sammy_boy Posts: > 500

@scotsboy- thanks for ur input
I've got an nec e616v, which has a new firmware that fixes all those problems. So far, i've had no problems with the handset- the 3g signal isn't brilliant, but i think thats to do with the area i live in.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 14:38:00

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@Sammy_boy

I was told that the firmware upgrade would solve a lot of the problems I was experiencing with my NEC616, but I never got the upgrade.

I am waiting for the othe rnetworks to launch their consumer 3G services before deciding, which one to choose. A big consideration will be internet access, as already mentioned, 3 don't allow full internet access, just their own content. I like to be able to check Esato on my mobile and currently 3 can't provide this; hopefully they will chnage their policy once the other networks launch their 3G services. I can see why 3 don't allow full internet access, they currently have a monopoly on consumer 3G access and can therefore promote their own content without fear of customers looking elsewhere; it is rather annoying that this is the case as it does waste, somewhat, the 3G download speeds available.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 14:48:07

I suspect that 3 don't have the capability to charge for bandwidth usage, as I've noticed that my credit doesn't go down when I'm browsing '3 today', no matter how long I'm connected or what I look at (as long as I don't download any chargeable videos).

@scotsboy, I sincerely hope that 3 or other 3G providers will let people have access to the internet, as you say to also enjoy the faster bandwidth.

Does anyone know btw when other providers are launching their 3G services? I know that Voda and Orange are selling laptop data cards, but not phones and contracts yet.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 16:04:07

methylated_spirit Posts: > 500

I'm with 3 and vodafone, it has to be said, the signal on the 3g network is very poor, and the much vaunted video calling isnt actually available...
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 16:13:27

@Sammy_boy

I don't think it's a case of 3 not having the capacity to charge for data usage, it is just that with their content being so data rich this would seem to be a silly idea; far better to just charge customer on a per item basis. As 3G takes over from GPRS I think we shall probably see a decrease in data charges and an increase in data allowances.

The other networks should launch their consumer 3G services sometime this year, they seem to have been putting it off for a while now, but hopefully within the next month or so. Perhaps wapchimp could comment here since he works for Orange.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 16:13:54

@scotsboy - what I meant was they perhaps don't have a capacity to charge a customer for say, browsing Esato for example. It evidently pays them to allow people to browse their services for free, as then more people would then (in theory anyway) buy more content from them.

I do hope someone brings a 3G service out in the next month, as that will be when I can take a new contract out!

If i go the 3G route, that is.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 16:21:52

@Sammy_boy

Agreed, they are able to make money because they have a monopoly on 3G content, but this will no doubt change when the other networks come into the game.

I still think 3 should be given some credit, they are the first 3G network in the UK and they have had to deal with a new technology and they have, for the most part, improved a great deal over the last several months.

@methylated_spirit

I have used video calling and I have to admit that I found it to be rather good. The quality was good, for the most part, although it was a bit 'jumpy' at times; having said that, a video call to Australia was surprisingly clear, if a little on the expensive side.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 16:40:35

@scotsboy - I'm not knocking 3 (yet - I'll see how I go! ) but look forward to them having some competition. Apart from the variable signal and the topup/internet gripes, I'm so far quite impressed with 3, but of course only time will tell if I continue to use it - I can certainly see where I would!

How much do people use the video part of the phone? Both for video calling, and how often do you download video content/music videos/ringtones etc. ?

I can't see me using it a huge amount - perhaps 10-15 videos a month, the very occasional music video, and the odd video call if my girlfriend gets a 3G phone (don't really know many other people with them at the moment!). As when I'm at home, I've got a variety of free (ish) methods of accessing some of these things - broadband internet, TV with Freeview (and access to 3 news channels, music channels, etc.), radio, etc. But I could use it a bit if there's an interesting story in the news when I'm out and about or not near a TV/radio.
--
Posted: 2004-10-20 18:20:51

@Sammy_boy

I did find myself using 3's services more than I thought, the news clips are rather handy when one is out and about as are the weather reports. I also made quite a number of video calls.
--
Posted: 2004-10-21 00:02:53
Page <  123456>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home