Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : So I got 3G. It don't impress me much.
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > So I got 3G. It don't impress me much. Bookmark topic
Page <  12

Vlammetje Posts: > 500

3G technology development probably is the answer ot our prayers (whether UMTS itself should be the prevailing technology remains a qeustion to me though) but along with the offering of more and higher data speeds and streaming options, the operators come along with dollar signs in their eyes.

Theis selling of devices has little to nothing to do with what we the customers want. Their selling of devices has everything to do with what they want us to see, hear and buy.

The V800 under Vodafone is a perfect example. Vodafone offers this phone with great discounts when purchased in combination with a data and voice package. What they do not tell you, is that this data package is to be usely only on vodafone live! services and only on the vodafone live! portal. If you, the modern, tech minded customer, think the provider wants you to explore the phone to it's max capabilities, you are dead wrong! If you wish to browse sites other than vodafone, you will pay extra for your disloyalty.
(needless to say I asked this specific question before taking out my subscription and was told I could browse anything I wanted without paying extra. )

It's like having the best and fastest broadband connection of the world on one's PC, and being allowed only to watch the top 5 pophits (over and over) without limits.... everything else, like a good news site, a personal blog or a movie costs extra.

Tought me lesson or two:
1) never trust the sales person, they will tell you what you want to hear, instead of what is true.
2) never ever ever ever ever ever get limited datasubscriptions ever again.

It's not 3G or the phone itself that is disappointing (far from it!), it is the immature content, obviously not aimed at the adult user who can actually afford the phone, that is downright insulting.

--
Posted: 2005-03-04 14:05:17
Edit : Quote

Sammy_boy Posts: > 500

Nicely summed up there Vlamm, the precise reason I'm staying with 2/2.5g for now!

I have a perfectly good broadband connection at home (but unfortuantely at this moment in time not one fully working computer! :evil ), and my P900 for when I'm out and about, perfect for checking Esato or the BBC news site, sending/recieving emails etc., which is all I need currently.

When the 3G content and services 'grow up' a bit, I'll probably migrate. But as Dave_UK says, this isn't going to happen any time soon!
--
Posted: 2005-03-04 15:24:26

Vlammetje Posts: > 500

the 2.5g vodafone live portal is just a useless actually and offers no real reason for not using 3G

I do actually like the speeds, especially so when using the phone for modem and as I now know I simply paty extra for using the phone for the purpose I bought it for.

It's not 3G per se though, it's the policies of operators that ruin the experience, and that is just the same on 2.5G as it is on 3G imho.
--
Posted: 2005-03-04 15:29:01

dave_uk Posts: > 500

@Vlamm

I completely agree, but unfortunately, our ability to use 3G services is inextricably linked to the operators that are screwing everyone around. It remains to be seen whether T-Mobile and O2 (in the UK) will adopt the same policies, but when data transmission charges come down to a reasonable level, the situation should change, as it then won't matter what the operators offer for free. Orange UK already offer 1Gb of data for £75/month (inc VAT) which I'm sure is better than Voda's rates (certainly is over here).

Vodafone, good as their service is, have been and always will be one of the most expensive providers globally - seems to me they are a bit too arrogant to be competitive, instead preferring to focus on their huge Corporate customers.
--
Posted: 2005-03-04 16:31:01

luvsanro Posts: 156

Same xperience. 3g just givs fast speed internet.Watching streaming video broadcast has no fun on small screen.
--
Posted: 2005-06-09 13:57:00

B4USam Posts: 24

3G it total pants, sure it's cheap but it doesn't work
--
Posted: 2005-06-10 15:15:25
Page <  12

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home