Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : 3G in world?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3G in world? Bookmark topic
Page <  123 ... 91011

fyrestrtr Posts: 126

In Kuwait, both operators are steadily finalizing their networks to 3G. The coverage is almost 100%.

MTC-Vodafone provides 3G services including video calls and TV streaming. I have not personally used them, but a lot of my friends do. We have around 50 lines from MTC, so I get to hear about their latest corporate pitches quite often.

Wataniya has rolled out 3G services and recently announced an Internet-only service using HSDPA which they have started rolling out. This service involves you purchasing a wifi enabled HSDPA modem plus a subscription, and you can use it to surf "near" broadband speed from any location with HSDPA coverage (which is in most of the major neighborhoods). On my many phone conversations with them, they do not offer HSDPA service for mobiles; just for this modem (which really is rediculous; and I suspect that the person I spoke to didn't understand what I was asking). Video calling is also available on Wataniya, along with live TV and webcam feeds (they have setup cameras in various areas of Kuwait) and you get a live feed to selected mobiles -- no SE's, but a handful of Nokias are on their approved list.

EDGE has good coverage on Wataniya as we use around 20 Sierra Wireless modems for our mobile workers. Speeds are "acceptable" for browsing and chatting -- work great for email fetching -- which is what my users have the modems for. At the time of our purchase of the EDGE service, MTC didn't have coverage all over Kuwait for EDGE.

Other services that are just being introduced; but not really marketed heavily include email push for corporates. Both providers are trying hard to get a tie-in with major groupware vendors for their offerings.

As a result, you get some rather -- ahem, interesting -- advertising campaigns. Notice this poor photoshop of the E61 running WM5 (featured prominently on MTC's corporate services section):

The government here recently approved a license and initial funding for a third telecoms company; which is great news for all. I have a suspicion this is going to be a subsidiary of Etisalat, the UAE's communications giant.

My other experience is in Saudi Arabia, where 3G is rolling out slowly on the 'Sawa' service by the government's telco. There is also 3G coverage with other telecom provider, but I do not have much information on that.

Hope this helps, and please stop typing in ALL CAPS. Its considered shouting and rude.
--
Posted: 2007-01-02 16:34:25
Edit : Quote

ajeetpv Posts: > 500

hi, i have couple of questions regarding roaming service: what are the roaming charges of 3g as when you compare it to a gsm. my second question is: those areas where there is no 3g, do they roam you thru a gsm.?
well i hav a lots of queries regarding 3g. but first if any one from a 3g network could please reply.?
thanx in advance.

[ This Message was edited by: ajeetpv on 2007-01-03 10:25 ]
--
Posted: 2007-01-03 11:22:00

Aivar Posts: > 500

Roaming charges of 3G and GSM are the same (usual calls, sms).

When you want to make a videocall then tariffs are higher if compare to usual call. If you receive a videocall it should cost as ordinary incoming call in abroad. But it all depends on how roaming partners have decided.

If GSM-operator also provides 3G, then your home operator also must have a 3G roaming agreement. One roaming agreement for GSM and the other for 3G. If only GSM agreement has been made, then you can use only GSM for roaming.

[ This Message was edited by: Aivar on 2007-01-03 11:43 ]
--
Posted: 2007-01-03 12:36:21

ajeetpv Posts: > 500

@aivar- thanx.
can you tell me about the internet charges in roaming. how you find its rate compared to gsm (gprs) in roaming and as well as in nonroaming. will you give the figure (price) for the comparison of both twos in your country.
thanx.
--
Posted: 2007-01-03 13:30:00

fyrestrtr Posts: 126

Roaming charges vary from operator to operator and also depend on where you are roaming too. So, it really doesn't do you much good to know the roaming charges of other operators as they may not compare to your own.

http://tinyurl.com/y23t7a lists the roaming charges for my provider in Kuwait, to convert currencies, use xe.com
--
Posted: 2007-01-03 16:53:21

Aivar Posts: > 500

Fyrestrtr made a good point. But Ajeetpv, I give to you just one example.

I am client of Estonian operator EMT. If I am in Spain in Telefonic (Movistar) network, i have to pay:

* usual call to Estonia - 16,90 Estonian crowns per minute (1 crown = 15,6466 EUR)

* videocall to Estonia - 41,15 per minute + 5,32 call starting charge

* videocall to the local number - 15,80 + 1,88 call starting charge

* to receive a call - 6,50 (usual and videocall)

* usual call to the local number - 8,95

--
Posted: 2007-01-04 09:25:45

zolo Posts: 68

Hmmm. . . ppl from india can still dream on coz our great operators have no plans for 3g this year too. . . I am sure that the licensing phase would take almost 1 year or more when the rest of the world would be throwing 3g handsets out of their windows. . . . . Airtel has become poor by producing commercials on a mass scale . . . And crores of rs. . . Are still due to king khan. . . . Bsnl is happy with the revenue they get from cable broad band . . . . Idea people are on the run for ideas since their ideas are no longer accepted by indian citizens. . . As of hutch. . . The Ambani & relience co . . . Has proposed them to screw their entire network by offering millions of rs. . . . This is the state of condition in india. . . . . So indians dream on
--
Posted: 2007-01-09 16:16:41

trailblazin Posts: 1

yeah 3g is thr in saudi arabia..
it is totally cool...if connected wid comp u cn get internet speeds upto 512kbps..
video call.....watch tv channels wit 100%quality and speed..
multiplayer gamin is also possible on mobiles wid 3g...
i wonder if it vil evr come to india..
cost is per minute saudi riyal 1 ie 11.4 rupees...
so i guess wen it initially comes to india it gonna really burn a hole in ur pocket
--
Posted: 2007-01-16 11:44:37

Residentevil Posts: > 500

http://www.google.com/search?[....]n-US:official&client=firefox-a
Click on the top search result.
--
Posted: 2007-02-02 05:22:06

jumpjump Posts: 37

Quote:
On 2005-10-25 18:11:00, trilokeshh wrote:
Hello friends i purchased a nokia 9500 today its a great phone . Inform me that it will work on 3g

yes, that means you can use of 3gp to watch movie/video on 3gp phone perfectly, just convert popular video formats to 3gp format that your phone supported with 3gp video converter
http://www.my-video-converter.com/video_to_3gp/
, it is the easiest-to-use video converter software to convert video existing on your pc or peripheral equipment to your cell phone, then you can enjoy your movie anywhere and anytime,

[ This Message was edited by: jumpjump on 2007-02-07 08:55 ]
--
Posted: 2007-02-07 09:53:13
Page <  123 ... 91011

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home