Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : New indications of P1000?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > New indications of P1000? Bookmark topic
Page <  12345678>

methylated_spirit Posts: > 500

It is surprising though, for such a high-end phone not to be 3G, especially since most networks (in the UK at least) are gearing up for 3G capability.
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 17:42:28
Edit : Quote

dave_uk Posts: > 500

@meths

Couldn't agree more.

This is madness, surely, on 's part, though we should probably wait and see what actually does materialise before getting too concerned. Surely the next logical step for what is essentially, as business-focussed smartphone is to take advantage of the much higher data speeds offered by UMTS. I personally couldn't care less about video calls, but I will feel slightly miffed if the P1000 (or whatever it turns out to be called) doesn't allow me to surf the web over "mobile broadband"!
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 18:15:55

etaab Posts: > 500

Maybe thats why it'll be Wi-Fi..
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 19:15:17

peejay Posts: 40

I will be very disappointed if P1000 is not 3G. I wanted to update my P900 to a 3G P series.

Perhaps there is a marketing reason more than really technical...

All 3G mobiles I know of are capable of videocalls. This has become almost standard of 3G phones. Might miss some though, that are not capable of it.

This means most of them have a camera pointing out and another one pointing towards the caller. It might be too big an effort to change the form factor of the P series to accomodate the 2 cameras.

Personally I do not care about videocalls, I want the 3G P1000 for professional use, in order not to need a 3G card for the laptop.

--
Posted: 2004-11-26 20:19:59

bart Posts: > 500

there is a reason why it won't have 3G
as i worte in the article on my site. SE is slowly upgrading the Pxxx phones. why? because they want to keep the size. as time goes by chips and components can become smaller, they can make way for extra stuff. like WIFI and a 1.3 or 2MP cam. if SE would implant everything then the phone could be twice as big.
P1000 WIFI + MP cam
P1xxx 3G + improved cam + long range bluetooth
P1xxx improved cam + GPS + next generation bluetooth + new storage memory cards.

thats how i see it. by posting this i know that the rival companies now have a clearder vieuw on what SE is doing, but this also clears things out for you guys, so you can stop complaining.
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 21:48:10

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@peejay

I don't think it will be a problem to incorporate a second camera, but perhaps SE don't want to release a 3G smartphone at the moment. Perhaps they have plans for such a device for later next year; they do tend to wait until they have an excellent product to release and not just an ad hoc product to meet immediate demand.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-11-26 22:34 ]
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 21:58:09

Making the P1000 3G whilst still including all the functions we want wont affect the size of the phone i dont think. Anyone who has handled the Moto A1000 will know its rather small compared to the A925 before it, and includes many of the functions we'd like to see in the P1000.

If SE dont make the P1000 3G, i think it'll be simply to keep costs down. Who'd buy a P series phone that would cost significantly more than the previous P series phones when they were released ?

I think if SE were to include video calls into a 3G handset, i think they'd be better off including a motion eye camera like the V800's that rotates rather than two fixed cameras.
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 22:20:36

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@etaab

I've always thought that rotating cameras make candybar mobiles look rather cheap.
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 23:35:13

But this is SE we're talking about, the kings of style !

Lets face it, when it comes to style, you cant beat the Swedish with their designs.
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 23:38:17

bart Posts: > 500

a rotable cam would be the best option, it would aslo be cheaper.
but where would we place it? how much would it affect the design?

a 2nd cam would also be a good option, or maby even the best.
--
Posted: 2004-11-27 00:13:20
Page <  12345678>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home