Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review Bookmark topic
Page <  123456789>

batesie Posts: > 500

to be honest though, this is based on an analogue system. its neever going to be as good as a digital transmission.

i look forward to the introduction of Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) technology into the next MMR-XX...
(wishful thinking)
--
Posted: 2006-02-15 17:57:47
Edit : Quote

etaab Posts: > 500

I think even then it would suffer major reception issues.

Im no radio expert, but digital signals tend to be more unreliable if theres any sort of interferrence.
--
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:15:52

batesie Posts: > 500

Digital radio is as good as the difference between digital and anologue TV

it would work over short distances better too.
--
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:18:23

When i had digital tv & radio installed in my home 3 years ago, the engineer told me digital signals need more power for the same reception as an analogue service, or you need to be closer to the transmitter.

Bah, who knows, its not like we'll see a digital MMR-60 anytime soon.
--
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:26:59

dgilmartin Posts: > 500

I received my MMR-60 today. I'm actually very pleased as it works extremely well! I plugged it in to the fastport and after a second or two it lights up and says "MMR-60: Transmit on 107.9MHZ" which is a perfect as I get completely no radio station signals on that frequency. So I tuned in my car radio and perfect sound immediately, although if you move the phone there can be a little background noise, but surprisingly very little. One issue is that you have to have the volume on the media player set to the middle or less level as anything above this creates distorted sound. This isn't really a problem as it sounds as loud as a normal radio station, but of a higher quality. I haven't tested it from a distance of more than two metres from the aerial, but why would you need to have it further away anyway? The final issue is that it doesn't have the fastport connector on the bottom for charging, but doesn't seem to be a huge problem as i've been messing around with it for the past hour and the battery level hasn't been affected.

Well although this is a short and sweet review I'm glad to say its better than I expected and it works in my car so its a huge bonus.
--
Posted: 2006-02-17 11:40:11

max_wedge Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 18:26:59, etaab wrote:
When i had digital tv & radio installed in my home 3 years ago, the engineer told me digital signals need more power for the same reception as an analogue service, or you need to be closer to the transmitter.

Bah, who knows, its not like we'll see a digital MMR-60 anytime soon.

Digital does need more power, but when it has enough power the signal suffers very little degradation. On digital you see that as pixelation, which is not noise but signal loss that doesn't survive error correction.

I get it occasionaly on my SD set top box.

A digital mmr, with adequate power output, would provide static free audio. However probably so would a mmr-60 with adequate power output But the advantage of a digital transmitter would be better quality audio (for example the frequency response of digital radio is greater than analog radio)

We won't see one anytime soon, since most people still use analog.
--
Posted: 2006-02-17 13:32:05

@ dgilmartin - so, you're in Dublin ?

Is your area pretty busy for radio traffic ? where i live, even the free channels have some background music or chat going on, its as if theres a station on almost every major frequency, so it doesnt help FM transmitters much.

I wish someone would lend me a MMR-60, before i buy - but as it stands im just not taking the risk.
--
Posted: 2006-02-17 19:05:24

max_wedge Posts: > 500

etaab, I've definately found areas where the airwaves are quite full, in those instances range of the belkin is reduced and of the four available frequencies it's sometimes hard to find a perfect setting. A fully adjustable device like the mmr-60 should be more useful in that regard.

But when all the four postions are noisy, I find the belkin is noisy between songs, but when playing audio the noise recedes and is quite listenable. Listening to classical music, that has long periods of very quite music, would not be listenable however. Fortunantly I don't like classical music a great deal. In fact it drives me nuts if I listen to it too long - give me some doof doof or rock and roll anyday

WHEN the mmr-60's are reintroduced in Australia, I'm going to the store with a portable fm radio and I'm going to hammer the living christ out of the mmr-60 before I buy it. There is no way I'm going to buy it sight unseen.

One pleasing discovery I made, they are retailing in Oz for $69 (vodafone) which is about $50 US. I was expecting atleast AUD99 if not more.
--
Posted: 2006-02-18 00:38:51

dgilmartin Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2006-02-17 19:05:24, etaab wrote:
@ dgilmartin - so, you're in Dublin ?

Is your area pretty busy for radio traffic ? where i live, even the free channels have some background music or chat going on, its as if theres a station on almost every major frequency, so it doesnt help FM transmitters much.

I wish someone would lend me a MMR-60, before i buy - but as it stands im just not taking the risk.

There aren't many radio stations in my area so that could be a reason for the great reception. There are more in Dublin City, I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on with interference. What you could do is buy the MMR-60 test it in your area and if you do experience a lot of interference, just put it back onto eBay and as they are still pretty rare and you'll definitely get your money back.
--
Posted: 2006-02-18 19:36:33

Possibly, im still weighing up whether to do so or not in my head.
--
Posted: 2006-02-19 00:26:37
Page <  123456789>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home