Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Nokia Communicator E90
> New Topic
> Topic Locked
Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Nokia Communicator E90 Bookmark topic
Page <  123456

CrazyGuns Posts: 166

its out here in india... costs 35000 rupees (around 750us$) and man it feels awesome... i checked it out at The Mobile Store yesterday... i'd sooo have bought it if i had the money... lol!
--
Posted: 2007-08-09 12:57:27
Edit : Quote

Dogmann Posts: > 500

Hi all,

To those that think this could replace a Laptop when i was running my Mobile Data company i had 2 Toshiba Libretto's one the 70ct the other a 1110CT and whilst one was running Windows 95 and the other NT4 neither came close to the spec and power of my E90.

They Toshiba's had a 100mhz processor and 16mb Ram and the 110CT 110mhz processor and 32mb Ram and were larger and heavier than the E90 with no where near the same amount of power or abilities especially for Multimedia. So it may of taken a while but IMO at last our devices really do offer virtually enough computing power and fast connectivity to enable us to do most of the things we want on the move. Before anyone says anything silly i a m not claiming you could run Photo Shop or Video editing on a E90 but most of the other tasks it can easily handle IMO.

One last thing that has really surprised me is it is neither as big or heavy as i was expecting especially compared to previous commie's IMO.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-10 10:35 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-09 13:13:18

anonymuser Posts: > 500

Dogmann, why are you comparing the E90 to laptops from the last century? My laptop was built in 2000, making it seven years old now, but I can assure you I wouldn't swap it and its 750mhz P3 processor, 512mb ram, 20gb hdd, DVD drive, and 14" monitor for any oversized phone.

I wouldn't even swap one of your older laptops for this phone - my hands and eyes haven't got any smaller since they were made, so I'd still prefer their comfortably-sized keyboards and decent size screens, I'm sure.

The laptop comparisons really highlight what's wrong with the whole communicator concept - the E90, like its predeccessors, is nothing like as useful or powerful as a true mobile computer, and nothing like as practical as a truly mobile throw-in-a-jeans-pocket phone. It's just stuck in a pointless halfway house between the two, not really excelling in any direction, and completely neutered by the fact that it can't actually replace either device, let alone both.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-08-09 16:04 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-09 15:08:22

CrazyGuns Posts: 166

it really isnt that enormous if you consider it... the size is pretty much same as the older communicators... and its got much more power than the older ones...it can be called as a mobile computer, but i'll have to say, its too much expecting if we compare it to a laptop.. surely it can do many things a lappy can, but it still is a mobile phone with a small screen compared to a laptop...
--
Posted: 2007-08-12 11:24:34

@Boinng

The reason is both of those offered portable computing and Mobile data as were fitted with Ericsson GC25 Data cards that i was involved in pre release testing. Are you telling me you carry a laptop of that size around for Mobile Data and voice comms?

The point i was making is just how far we have come since then as IMO only now has mobile data started to be able to achieve it's true potential. Running Mobile Data @9,600 and then 14,400kbps really wasn't a great user experience. Even 3G isn't that great IMO and as you know that is why i believe that the introduction of HSDPA with true broadband speeds is such a big move forward. I know you don't agree and you are entitled to your opinion how ever wrong i believe you are.

Interestingly enough >500 posted a link to a review of the P1 i think from GSM Arena and it only had 3 negatives 2 of which was no EDGE and HSDPA strange that isn't it.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-12 10:57 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-12 11:56:07

Sorry Marc, you've lost me, why are you talking about the P1's lack of HSDPA again? With respect, that isn't the point you were making before I posted at all - nothing to do with it. You were making direct comparisions between the E90 and the processing power and multimedia abilities of a laptop. Which is, IMO, a pointless exercise - something like the E90 can never seriously replace a laptop. It struggles to even replace a mobile.

I realise the E90 is comparable in size to previous communicators, my point is that the entire communicator concept is quite flawed. It's always been a niche product, and no matter how much more/faster/better technology they put in it, it always will be. The Nokia communicators are aimed at a certain kind of tech-head who wants to think they have the best of everything, but will rarely attempt to use any of it in anger, and therefore never notice that the flagship product they're carrying (or, more likely, leaving on the coffee table) is actually unusable in the real world. Too big and heavy as a phone, too small and fiddly as a computer, it fails to find a decent compromise between either.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-08-13 11:29 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-13 12:22:07

MG7 Posts: 119

@Boinng

I completely agree. It can not replace the phone nor the laptop. To big and to small at the same time.
--
Posted: 2007-08-13 12:42:00

@Boinng

We are talking about Mobile Data and the devices we use to achieve this lugging a Laptop around is not really a viable solution is it? Also i can't imagine any one would be stupid enough to suggest a E90 can replace a Laptop either as that just makes no sense. But with the power the E90 has and HSDPA for near broadband speeds it can achieve a lot.

You are as so off the mark about the E90 it's just funny, you certainly are better off sticking with SE as these things just seem to be completely beyond your grasp for now. Maybe later when you see what others can do and achieve you may realise just how wrong you actually are.

But until then why not just switch back to CSD i mean who needs it any faster right?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-13 12:12 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-13 13:11:47

Marc, the comparison between the E90 and a laptop was made by you, not me. If you feel your own post(s) are ridiculous, I'm not going to argue with that.

I'm clearly not so wide of the mark on the E90, since I'm far from being the only critic of its size and form factor. It has nothing to do with it being a Nokia rather than SE, and even less to do with it's data speed (you don't need something the size of the E90 just to get HSDPA after all) - it's just an example of poor design rendering all the technology irrelevant.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2007-08-13 12:57 ]
--
Posted: 2007-08-13 13:54:36

masseur Posts: > 500

not sure why this rumour thread was bruoght back to life when clearly its available but I'll close this as we have at least 2 other threads discussing E90

this is the main one...
Nokia's E90 communicator Launched

Though Dogmann's E90 Review thread seem more like a general discussion thread than a discussion of the review

but take your pick...
--
Posted: 2007-08-13 13:58:20
Page <  123456

New Topic   Topic Locked
Forum Index

Esato home