Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Huge Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2007
> New Topic
> Topic Locked
Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Huge Sony Ericsson Portfolio for 2007 Bookmark topic
Page <  123 ... 729730731 ... 758759760>

razec Posts: > 500

I would like to see Cybershot and Walkman Flagships powered by UIQ 3.1 alongside with a powerful CPU and sound chip(for walkman) Separate Imaging CPU for Cybershot and both having an ATi or Nvidia GPU

Windows Mobile for SE phones?, nah! i'm not interested anyway perhaps it wont be as expensive as those nasty WM phones sold atm
--
Posted: 2007-09-26 05:04:09
Edit : Quote

rss_ndrsn Posts: > 500

On 2007-09-25 14:23:55, shaliron wrote:
@rss_ndrsn
I forgot to reply to your comment.

I exaggerated my post, intentionally. I did it to make fun of P3i. P3i features are so 2007-ish.

2007-ish? I'm sorry, but I really don't know what else you'd like to see implemented on the phone.

Widescreen? DVB-H (which I still think is not for 2008)? That's the only thing that I can think that would be 2008-ish.

Why do you wanna know? As if you could do something about it!

It's too early to tell! We haven't heard yet of what other manufacturers have to offer.

Impractical for those who don't need it!
Do you expect a feature pack phone to cost less?

Impractical for who? It's impractical for Sony Ericsson.

If it is impractical for Sony Ericsson, is it impractical for Nokia or any other manufacturer, too?

You know what? Appealing to a niche market of people who would spend enough money to buy a good laptop is not good business sense. I never said no one would buy it, but how many do you think they'll sell at >$1000?
If they managed to sell 100,000 phones at that price that'd be amazing. Even so, wouldn't it be better to sell 1,000,000 of them at $800 instead?

Wouldn't it be a lot better to sell a million of that at $1000 instead? That's what superb marketing strategy can do! Don't you think?

Nokia release an upgraded version of N95, the N95-8gb version. Would it affect the sales of, let's say ,N81, or N95?

Well, that's cos the N95 8GB is the successor to the N95. I can guarantee that the N95 will be cut down, or even discontinued to make way for the N95 8GB. That's going to be Nokia's flagship for 2008.

And the N81? Well, that's actually very much crippled compared to the N95 8GB. The camera is its biggest weakness, not to mention screen size.

I don't really think that adding 8gb internal memory to P3i would have any effect on Mooi or W960 sales. Those three phones are intended for different buyers. People will buy phones that suit them most.
By the time P3i sales' starts, W960's price will have gone down already.
It wouldn't be that hard to choose which one to buy. And Mooi, they really aren't that similar, for me.

--
Posted: 2007-09-26 09:24:58

shaliron Posts: > 500

It's too early to tell! We haven't heard yet of what other manufacturers have to offer.

Well, you complain about the lack of features - features that are yet to exist? So how can you complain that the features are 2007-ish, when they could very well be 2008-ish as well.

The P3 certainly matches the N95 8GB (bar the 8GB memory, although there is memory expansion), plus some more, with the high-rez screen, QWERTY keyboard, better GPS etc.
And the N95 8GB is what I would a 2008 phone; it certainly is Nokia's flagship for 2008.

Have you not noticed that features have relatively stagnated in 2007? Have you noticed the increasing trend towards touchscreen phones? Have you noticed that the manufacturers are aiming to increase usability through UI features instead of spec sheets?

I've said previously, that I really reckon that features are plateau-ing, and what's really going to be big in 2008 is user friendliness. Yeah, as much as some of us dislike the iPhone, there is no doubt that consumers want phones which are fun, easy, and interesting to use.

If you asked me in 2006 what I'd like to see on 2007 phones, it'd be easy. Video quality, HSDPA, larger screens, and internal memory. But this year, the fact that you nor I could name any features that are essential on a '2008' phone illustrate that there is very little in terms of hardware that we could ask for (with current technology).

If it is impractical for Sony Ericsson, is it impractical for Nokia or any other manufacturer, too?

You do know the size difference between is quite large? They can suffer more loss (or less profit) than Sony Ericsson, because as a larger company, they are able to stretch out their resources further.

Wouldn't it be a lot better to sell a million of that at $1000 instead? That's what superb marketing strategy can do! Don't you think?

A million @ >$1000 with a slimmer profit margin, and marketing costs? Nup. They conduct market research, and obviously there is more profit to be made by splitting up their portfolio rather than target a small market niche (and it is very small).

And as a final statement (because I can't be bothered arguing about this anymore), is that Sony Ericsson will never go into an all out specifications war with Nokia. They won't win, and they can't win. Nokia is bigger, can spend more on marketing, have brand recognition, have the more supported OS, has more money to burn on R&D, and can afford to lose some money at the same time.

Sony Ericsson has only recently moved out of making losses. They can't compete against the best, so instead they target their own market niches, and focus on what they're best at, which is user friendliness and diversity. This also explains why they'd decide to use HTC instead of their own resources, to develop phones on the WM platform.

UPDATE:

Added more W890 photos.

--
Posted: 2007-09-26 10:28:43

kotsianis7 Posts: 65

ABOUT W890i:

i think it doesn't have auto focus.If you look at the spy pics of its camera menu it doesn't have the icon of auto focus or of the macro shots....But maybe i'm wrong,as it can have it and just hasn't shown in this foto....Also,i notices this little hole in its back which(in phones with auto focus)is to help camera focus....Well,i'm a little confused i guess..
--
Posted: 2007-09-26 11:09:28

goldenface Posts: > 500

I was just thinking this. The other little hole could also be for the ambient light sensor although the positioning near the camera would suggest AF.

Hopefully it is.

--
Posted: 2007-09-26 11:13:20

domipost Posts: > 500

I haven't seen a autofocus icon in the menu ever. Is it there in the cybershot menu? I don't really know that menu, but i don't think there is a autofucus icon.

And no macro doesn't mean no AF
--
Posted: 2007-09-26 16:08:57

beca Posts: 224

A housing arrangement for a mobile communication device comprises first and second housing sections connected together and movable relative to one another between open and closed positions. The first housing section includes a display that is substantially concealed by the second housing section in a closed configuration. The second housing section includes a window that reveals a portion of the display in the closed configuration. In the open configuration, a touch sensitive input is accessible through the window in the second housing section.

via JUSTAMP
--
Posted: 2007-09-26 18:21:32

goldenface Posts: > 500

^^ Looks like part of a patent application.
--
Posted: 2007-09-27 09:50:30

benitorios Posts: 259

yes this was posted on mobile-review a few days ago, part of a patent application.

and it looks strangely like that concept picture that has been around for some time, picture of a slider with the screen coming out from under.

--
Posted: 2007-09-27 20:40:38

domipost Posts: > 500

Why the screen from under? It doesn't seem handy to me
--
Posted: 2007-09-27 21:20:38
Page <  123 ... 729730731 ... 758759760>

New Topic   Topic Locked
Forum Index

Esato home