Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Nokia N70 Review (56k warning)
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Nokia N70 Review (56k warning) Bookmark topic
Page12345678910>

amnesia Posts: > 500

It's been a while since I've actually bought a Nokia, I'm an SE man myself. But this phone is damn appealing. Compared to the others this is the most rounded off, and yes the N90 and N91 both have their advantages, however the N70 is the only one I could justify when it comes to size.

Actually it's smaller than you'd think it is.
And the design definately also helps to make it look slimmer than it really is.

So, if you want an unbiased review, enjoy this one.

Specs:
30 MB internal memory, Triband, UMTS, Supports RS-MMC memory cards, has two cameras, an VGA and a 2 Megapixel camera with LED Flash.
Features: Radio (by region, 5 way keypad, additional Media Key, video recorder, mp3 player, realplayer, email support, WAP, Bluetooth, and PC Sync.
Screen: 262kK screen (TFT)
System: Symbian Series 60 (OS 8.1)
Sound: One large speaker at the top.

I apologize if the pictures are a bit blurry.
What you get:

In the box you get the battery, a headset (which is awesomely white and is the SAME one as the one that came with the 7600), a Sync CD, Sync cable, charger, battery cover, plug adapter, memory card (64mb), hand strap, cleaning cloth and a huge set of manuals.
The strap and cleaning cloth are always a nice addition.

The CD includes various apps as you find with any series 60 phone.

First thing I did was slam the memory card in (actually slowly placed and touched sexily) plug in the battery and powered it on.

First thing you look at is the beautifully BRIGHT screen (brighter than any i've seen), and the intro.

Below are a few pics of the phone.

I wished it was all made of metal sadly it's just a portion of the front.

The blue backlight is very very beautiful and it'll only switch on when it's dark via the light sensor.

[img]www.oxygen-inc.com/images/n70/7.JPG[/img]
You can see the memory card slot and there is a button which I've yet to determine what it does. It's not for the camera, although I might be doing something wrong.
On top of it (although i've not taken a picture) is the speaker.

Many people have commented that it might be large, but trust me, I believe this size to be PERFECT for what it's for. It feels nice, the weight is perfect and it's appealing.

Sound Quality on the phone is great. The volume is VERY loud on max, and you can hear that for a phone the speaker is very crisp.

Video:
Now this came as a surprise. The quality this took was awesome, it appeared to be 30fps (please correct me if I'm wrong) it was VERY VERY VERY smooth. It's good enough for a phone thats for sure.
Watching video full screen as well doesn't strain the eyes, and it doesn't have the 'specific angle of view' that other Nokias had.

Sliding the slider down reveals the camera with an LED flash. It slides down very easily however it feels too plasticky. Not like the rest of the phone. The slider is connected to the battery cover, so I'm assuming that you're safe to break it since you can just buy another one.

The menu icons are much improved. The speed of the apps is much faster oh and the best thing! Pressing hangup quits the apps. Phew, no more resource hogging apps.

The picture gallery is no longer with the circular rotation icons, it is displayed aroudn the screen and when you click right or left the smooth animation enlarges the next image.
The downside is that it's a bit slow when loading up, however once its up and running it's alright.

Additional pics

Organizer
Exactly as any series 60 system.
Calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, timer, stopwatch, record sound, calculator and code memo
As mentioned previously, there is also any easy SYNC feature.

Phonebook
Again, not much change except you have more options when adding additional information.

Settings
Also known as the Control Panel. Anything is accessable. From brightness of the screen to sound quality.
I dont want to go into depth, since as I stated, it is just any of the latest Series 60 devices

Additional notes:
It uses a new sized charger pin. However it comes with an adapter as well if you have the older chargers.

Pros
Looks nice.
Great sound.
Dual Cameras
Well built. (not the back though)

Cons
Crap slider.
Fingerprint magnet (the metal bit)
Uses the new pin charger size
As with 6630 and 6680 unlocking can't be done except by the manufacturer.
Can be a bit slow (even though it's the fastest series 60 out there)

I like this phone, I really like it. It's weight really is well balanced and it basically is very fast for general use.

If anyone has any questions please let me know! I'll be happy to answer!

the best place to get a great deal is Fluid Mobile

http://mobile.oxygen-inc.com

http://212.213.255.72/keepthls/video/NokiaN70_01.avi
Video of the phone

Oxygen Inc|Fluid Mobile [PS2 slim, PSP&DS games, PM ME!]

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2005-10-30 14:23 ]
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 02:49:42
Edit : Quote

BobaFett Posts: > 500

only one question: is the resolution the same as in 6680. imo it was pretty crap according a 262k screen. tia
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 02:53:12

they both have the same resolution of 176 x 208 pixels but I can say that this phone looked pretty nice to me.
Perhaps my standards are not as high.

Or maybe it's the backlight, it's much brighter
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 02:10:48

BobaFett Posts: > 500

as i see on the pix, its not that sharp and clean as in 6230i, right?
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 03:38:15

phsychomantis Posts: 146

few questions
1. is the speaker at the top any good cause ?in nokia 6630 the volume was very low as compared to ngage and p910 even after fw upgrade .the speaker of 6630 was useless for
playing mp3 and ogg formats strangely amr tones used to sound loud.how would you rate the speaker of n70 in front of speakers of nokia ngage and se p910 in terms of volume?

2. does the default camera app lets you use fullscreen ie. entire screen while taking pics?also what about taking pics is sunny environments 6630 and 6681 used to overexpose the image creating bright white spots.

3.How much ram is there ? can you browse web on opera 8.0 and play ogg files at the same time without sound stuttering?
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 05:58:17

I'm sorry boba I dont know the difference.
At the end of the day viewing pics or videos was clear to me.

to answer the questions though.

" 1. is the speaker at the top any good cause ?in nokia 6630 the volume was very low as compared to ngage and p910 even after fw upgrade .the speaker of 6630 was useless for
playing mp3 and ogg formats strangely amr tones used to sound loud.how would you rate the speaker of n70 in front of speakers of nokia ngage and se p910 in terms of volume? "

The volume is amazing, very loud and none of that distortion. It sounded very clear even at max volume.
The top of the speak is also protected by a thin mesh, unlike the other phoens which are open and allow dust to enter.
I'd say the N70 is the best so far compares to the P910 and Ngage, simply because neither are as loud and clear at higher volumes.

" 2. does the default camera app lets you use fullscreen ie. entire screen while taking pics?also what about taking pics is sunny environments 6630 and 6681 used to overexpose the image creating bright white spots. "

Sadly there is no fullscreen camera again, something that I've always been complaining about however the number of customizations has improved.
You can choose negative, sepia, black and white, multi shot, night mode, outdoor, incandecent, sport mode (for fast moving objects) and so on.

Here are some photos taken by the phone.
http://www.gsmarena.com/review.php3?idReview=53&idPage=9

"3.How much ram is there ? can you browse web on opera 8.0 and play ogg files at the same time without sound stuttering? "

Opera runs smoothly and I've not had experience with ogg files because I dont use them. It has 32mb ram which is the most in any phone atm (series 60 phones) it's even more than the communicators'
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 15:15:06

DickySnapples Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2005-10-30 15:15:06, amnesia wrote:
I'm sorry boba I dont know the difference.
At the end of the day viewing pics or videos was clear to me.

to answer the questions though.

" 1. is the speaker at the top any good cause ?in nokia 6630 the volume was very low as compared to ngage and p910 even after fw upgrade .the speaker of 6630 was useless for
playing mp3 and ogg formats strangely amr tones used to sound loud.how would you rate the speaker of n70 in front of speakers of nokia ngage and se p910 in terms of volume? "

The volume is amazing, very loud and none of that distortion. It sounded very clear even at max volume.
The top of the speak is also protected by a thin mesh, unlike the other phoens which are open and allow dust to enter.
I'd say the N70 is the best so far compares to the P910 and Ngage, simply because neither are as loud and clear at higher volumes.

" 2. does the default camera app lets you use fullscreen ie. entire screen while taking pics?also what about taking pics is sunny environments 6630 and 6681 used to overexpose the image creating bright white spots. "

Sadly there is no fullscreen camera again, something that I've always been complaining about however the number of customizations has improved.
You can choose negative, sepia, black and white, multi shot, night mode, outdoor, incandecent, sport mode (for fast moving objects) and so on.

Here are some photos taken by the phone.
http://www.gsmarena.com/review.php3?idReview=53&idPage=9

"3.How much ram is there ? can you browse web on opera 8.0 and play ogg files at the same time without sound stuttering? "

Opera runs smoothly and I've not had experience with ogg files because I dont use them. It has 32mb ram which is the most in any phone atm (series 60 phones) it's even more than the communicators'

communicators have 80MB of RAM

ps great review.
ive got a N90 but prefer the look of this,ill wait and see what its like in person.
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 15:23:57

oh sorry about that I got this quote
"The great news is that N70 has..... 32 MB of free RAM, the most used in a Symbian OS device so far; even Nokia 9500 Communicator has less!"

thats why I assumed it has more

http://my-symbian.com/7650/review_n70.php
thats where I got that from.
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 16:41:21

Mr Miyagi Posts: > 500

great review, however i am confused now between this nokia or the s.e w800i. I will be getting either one in december. Now w800 has had probs etc, but i guess all those problems it has had has been fixed with filmwares etc. Any probs with this nokia so far? What would people reccomend?
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 17:47:02

mv agusta Posts: 62

Amnesia, how about headset quality and music player, does it improved a lot too? From my experience, the best headset so far from nokias and the music player are 7710. Can u compare it with w800 + hpm 70 + "megabass" of course. I think what mr miyagi asked will be answered too. Thanks btw. This message was posted from a K750
--
Posted: 2005-10-30 18:20:18
Page12345678910>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home