Esato Mobile
Regional : Americas : unlocked phone on T-Mobile SoCal show 'Cingular' !?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Regional > Americas > unlocked phone on T-Mobile SoCal show 'Cingular' !? Bookmark topic
Page12>

dosers Posts: 9

Maybe I have missed something, but my new T68i (never before locked), while working 100% with phone, message, SMS, WAP, GPRS and so on - shows CINGULAR as the network, not T-Mobile. My SIM is T-Mobile however, and in a T-Mobile locked phone, will say so. When searching for networks I can always find 'Cingular' and 'AT&T' but never (!) T-Mobile. Does this have to do with them using Cingular Towers here ? Should I be worried ??!

THanks,
Daniel.
--
Posted: 2002-09-14 05:02:00
Edit : Quote

porterg Posts: 45

Do you know if other T-mobile custs phones say "T-mobile"? Cingular had the original GSM 1900 license in Ca. Maybe T-mobile is leasing tower space, which means the alpha tag would say cingular. Kinda strange,though. Ask a local Cingular store.
--
Posted: 2002-09-15 01:08:00

THanks for feedback!
WEll, I haven't talked to any (don't know any - which is why I was hoping for this board!) T-Mobile Customer with an UNLOCKED phone. The T-Mobile phones all say 'T-Mobile'.
I do know that T-Mobile, apparently, IS using Cingular Towers - I just would have thought, being on T-Mobile network and not Cingular (regardless of the Tower) would still make the phone display the 'correct' network.

THere is a setting on the T68i 'Preferred networks' - which I can make priority changees and deletions to - but there's no option to 'add' or 'search' (there is a seach for GMS networks of course) - does this have anything to do with it (potentially) or is this an unrelated setting ? Where does the phone get these settings from ? The SIM ?

Thanks !!!
Daniel.

--
Posted: 2002-09-15 03:02:00

corey Posts: 2

I'm also an unlocked t68i user on T-Mobile in SoCal and it says Cingular. That is because when voicestream customers (as I was) roamed here we roamed on Cingular and T-Mobile is sharing their towers. Those of use roaming down here during the changeover never saw a change and nor do you with the phone not bought through tmobile. Probably will change eventually, but, what you are seeing is to be expected. Hope that helps!
--
Posted: 2002-09-15 11:11:00

rj Posts: 95

unlocked phones particularly those which are not released by t-mobile are likely to display cingular.

t-mobile and cingular are sharing towers.

cingular costumers from the east coast are using t-mobile towers and t-mobile costumers from the west coast are using cingular's.

im not sure if cingular's costumers from the east coast display ···t·mobiLe though.
--
Posted: 2002-09-15 11:52:00

porterg Posts: 45

T-Mobile and Cingular have a "joint" venture in Ca and nevada, where they share towers and network, so the alpha tag will probably always say Cingular in that region (unless Cingular sells out completely).
--
Posted: 2002-09-15 15:00:00

Everyone,
thanks for the feedback. Glad I am not alone wondering

CHeers,
Daniel.

--
Posted: 2002-09-17 04:49:00

alden168 Posts: 18

T mobile is using the same tower as cingular. They have same frequency and options. when you go to East Coast. It will vice versa. It will show voicestream.
--
Posted: 2002-09-18 07:34:00

Sparky72 Posts: 10

Well it sounds like you got your answer but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in too. I just bought a T68 from a Cingular user and threw my T-Mobile SIM card in. It was in a Nokia phone and showed T-Mobile on the display. When I threw it in the T68, everything came right up but the display does show Cingular.

Oh, and does anyone know if a Sony Service Center in CA will upgrade the T68 firmware to T68i? Has anyone tried it?
--
Posted: 2002-09-28 02:40:00

jnonhoffzieg Posts: 268

My understanding of this matter is that the network identification code received by the phone does not contain an actual name, but rather only an alpha-numeric tag. The actual names are in a look-up table which could be located in the SIM memory or even the phone's firmware.

That would explain why Sparky72 saw a different name when he put his SIM in a different phone. Also, when I was in Germany, I saw at least one network listed in my phone which didn't exist anymore because it had been bought another operator, which was not listed.

@Sparky72: Unless something has changed since August, you won't be able to do an "official" upgrade of your phone in the US. There are a few threads on this subject in the forum if you search.
--
Posted: 2002-09-28 10:11:00
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home