Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : UMTS in america anytime soon?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > UMTS in america anytime soon? Bookmark topic
EastCoastStar Posts: > 500

i have heard and read (recently) that UMTS (3g emabled phones) will be coming to Cingular in america sometime soon.

can anyone shed more light on this?

p.s. wasnt sure to post this here, or in the americas section?

Proud Owner: T61d, T610 X 3, T630 X 2, a new S710
Moto V400, V600

Brand New PSP: Midnight Club 3 and Ape Escape (for my gf)

[ This Message was edited by: EastCoastStar on 2006-01-11 21:08 ]
--
Posted: 2006-01-11 22:07:46
Edit : Quote

CybaCowboy Posts: 314

According to Cingular's Web site:

In 2003, Cingular launched the world's first commercial deployment of wireless services using Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) technology. EDGE is a third-generation high-speed mobile data and internet access technology, with average rates that are fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services, including streaming audio and video, fast Internet access, and large file downloads.

When it comes to technology, Cingular is always looking toward the future. We have launched Universal Mobile Telephone Service in six markets and intend to launch several more in 2005. UMTS is the leading 3G-technology choice today offering potential worldwide coverage and enabling economies of scale, global roaming, and a priority technology for software and applications developers. UMTS is one of the natural forward evolutionary paths for GSM networks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that say that they operate a 3G/UMTS network in six markets, with more to follow?
--
Posted: 2006-01-21 05:30:29

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

There are now LIVE with 18 Markets with UMTS in the 850/1900Mhz bands! Check their website NOT just the press releases.

Furthermore since you mentioned North America dont forget Rogers for those of us in Canada already testing UMTS+HSDPA (which Cingular too is using) for national launch in summer 2006 = Rogers in Canada
--
Posted: 2006-01-21 05:41:42

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home