Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : LG U880 Review
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > LG U880 Review Bookmark topic
Page12>

amnesia Posts: > 500

Right, well the day is the 17th of January 2006. Sony Ericsson are really disappointing me since they have not given anybody any definate info on their P990. So I decided, screw it, I'm going to get a U880 for my girlfriend (but even more sneakily, I'm going to use it until I get it).

Now the U880 is LG's best 3G phone at the moment. It's even thinner than the Motorola V3x by 2mm since it's 18mm.

They have three different colors at the moment, a Silver, Pink and a Black version (the black's front is brushed gun metal)

The design is pretty nice and the hinge is obviously not what you see on a normal flip phone.

This is the first phone to have the 3 Ads scroll at the bottom of the phone (although you can switch it off thank God)

So, if you want an unbiased review, enjoy this one.

Specs:
80 MB internal memory, Triband, UMTS, Supports Transflash memory cards, has one swivel camera (1.3 Megapixels with sadly no flash)
Features: mp3 player (dedicated buttons), bluetooth, PC Sync, Video Calling, Video recording, Sound recording, TV (through 3 network)
Screen: 262K internal screen (TFT), 64k external screen (TFT)
System: LG Generic
Sound: two speakers above the screen..

I apologize if the pictures are a bit blurry.
What you get:

In the box you get the battery, a headset (which is alright have is not that attractive), a Sync CD, Sync cable, charger, phone holder (for the car) and a huge set of manuals.
The lack of a strap disappointed me a bit since something as nice as a Nokia N70's strap would have added to the functionality. No memory card is also a bit of a let down.

The CD includes various apps to allow you to sync.

Luckily I had a transflash card from my old E1000 so I clicked it in and it nicely pinged. The memory manager was VERY nice, it was easy to use and was a breeze to learn (if you are a novice)

When you flip it open, the first thing you'll notice is the hinge is not like a traditional flip phone and opens at what I think is a perfect angle for talking (however not that good for sending SMS's)

Below are a few pics of the phone.

It would have been great if it was ALL gun-metal, but sadly it isn't. However I have to add that the buttons look and feel great.

The blue backlight is a deep blue, it's very attractive and you could say a bit hypnotic.

On the right side of the phone is the camera button and memory card slot, on the left is the headset and charger slot and volume buttons.

If I had to find a weak point, it would be that the weight isn't distributed evenly with flip open. It does feel alright.

Additionally, you could say that LG want to make sure that you REALLY get a fresh phone. The put plastic on the screen, a bit on the chrome strip beneath the camera, a bit on the keypad (see pics, I dont understand why that little bit is there), On the buttons on the side, and on the front screen (protects the metal too).

Sound Quality on the phone is great but some songs do sound a bit raspy.

Video:
The video quality could have been better, it did show as pixelated with playback but at least the frame rate was acceptable.

The camera rotates nicely and can be done easily with one hand.

Now one thing I like about this phone is the fact that the menu looks Macish (OSX), it has a brushed metal, aqua highlighting and OSX styled buttons which is my favourite!

You also get to customize the menu style and skin a few apps which is great. Of course 3 make sure you dont forget your with them (as it's evident with the bouncing 3's when you play music)

The MP3 player can be controlled with the flip closed (as can the camera and video camera), however you HAVE to have the songs in a playlist to be able to play them. The dedicated buttons definately help.

I should apologize for the fact that I didn't remove the plastic from the phone, it's just that I'm trying to keep it perfect for my girlfriend.

Close up of the front.

Organizer.
Calendar, tasks, notes, secret memo, alarms, timer, stopwatch, record sound, calculator and world times, and a few quirky apps.
As mentioned previously, there is also any easy SYNC feature.

Phonebook
the phone book is nice and simple, although it does take a bit of getting used to if you haven't used an LG before.

Settings
Also known as the Control Panel. Anything is accessable. From brightness of the screen to sound quality.
You are able to change skins, wallpapers, ring tones, and even the sound the phone makes when you flip it open or closed. (oddly enough you have two presets unlike the previous models)

Pros
Looks nice.
Thin.
Finally has bluetooth support.
Well built.

Cons
Rotating camera.
A bit too much software branding.
Screen could be a bit bigger.
No Memory card.

This phone is the best 3G phone out at the moment overall. It has a nice design, nice functions, and does what a 3 Phone should.

If anyone has any questions please let me know! I'll be happy to answer!

the best place to get a great deal is Fluid Mobile

http://mobile.oxygen-inc.com or http://www.fluidmobile.com

--
Posted: 2006-01-17 22:20:21
Edit : Quote

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

@amnesia - Nice matey ! Looks like you've already made a REVIEW here pal
--
Posted: 2006-01-17 23:19:28

BobaFett Posts: > 500

I played with it ca 1 month ago, when 3 launched it. The pink one is very fancy, imo its a real lady fone. It has a nice screen. This message was posted from a Nokia
--
Posted: 2006-01-17 23:22:59

thanks.

@Bobba, the pink to me though isn't attractive to girls.
Problem is, in Western countries, it seems like they give women this hot pink color (which is a bit slutty and reminds me of Paris Hilton), where in Asian countries they give you Baby Pink.
--
Posted: 2006-01-17 23:29:03

bigredend Posts: 263

Well writen review!. It does actually look like a really nice phone ,very thin, a well laid out keypad ( love the backlight) screen seems quite big and very clear, pity the camera wasn't 2 megapixels, but you can't have everything
--
Posted: 2006-01-17 23:29:37

Tunndoc Posts: 1

I have been trying to add songs to the playlist but i can't, need help please anyone.
Thanx for ur help in advance.
--
Posted: 2006-01-22 17:33:03

you have to put the songs in the SOUNDS folder in your transflash card.
--
Posted: 2006-01-22 17:41:58

Spitfire Posts: 135

Can you change the SMS tone ?.

--
Posted: 2006-01-23 17:09:28

captainsm Posts: > 500

Yes, you can use whatever you like as tone for the SMS.

I got one from 3 in swwden.

Phone, koss headphones and 512 memcard for free with 12 month subscription.

Quite a deal
--
Posted: 2006-01-23 18:40:22

hotaznchik Posts: 1

hey i jus got that fone todai and i was wonderin how do we access the ringtones to choose a new ringtone?
--
Posted: 2006-02-05 13:04:21
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home