Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Is W900i PnP USB Mass Storage?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Is W900i PnP USB Mass Storage? Bookmark topic
alvin53 Posts: 5

Hey guys. Hope you could help me out. Just wanted to know if the w900i is really a plug and play usb mass storage device (in windows)? i've read somewhere that, with the exception of the mac, you need to install drivers for it for the pc to recognize the w900i as a mass storage device (even on a winxp sp2). I used to have the k750i but sold it since i really need a PnP mass storage device to be able to store my documents as i pc commute a lot.

Thanks!

--
Posted: 2006-03-16 21:29:03
Edit : Quote

below24 Posts: > 500

No it is not specifically a mass storage device. Sorry.

This info is specifically from the SE docs. The newer phones are "USB 2.0 mass storage devices.

Hope that helped
--
Posted: 2006-03-16 21:39:09

alvin53 Posts: 5

thanks! I guess i'll have to wait for the next model...
--
Posted: 2006-03-17 20:07:55

Slatan Posts: 10

I'm pretty confused about this. In one review I read that the W900 didn't function as a mass storage device... then I read this one:

http://www.mobique.com/sonyericsson/w900/page4.php

And it says that it DOES work as mass storage, with USB 2.0 speeds.

Which is true? It doesn't seem likely that the people who reviewed it just made all this up for fun.

-
And thanks to the new Fast Port setup, it is also possible to access both the internal and external memory areas using the data cable option. Sony Ericsson has made it possible for the W900 to “mount” itself as a removable drive in either Windows or Mac – without the need of any extracurricular software to access its on-board file system.

Once the phone detects a USB connection, a pop-up screen will offer the choice of remaining in “Phone Mode” – or putting the phone in “File Transfer” mode, which puts the W900 into offline mode and allow the file system to be browsed freely from the comfort of your Mac/PC. In this USB mass storage mode, its user can copy, move and delete files to/from the phone and the connected computer – at up to USB 2.0 speeds. And once completed, simply “eject” the W900 – where a message on the display will notify that “it is now safe to disconnect the USB cable”.

File access in “Phone Mode” is possible, but only when it is connected to a Windows-based PC with the Sony Ericsson PC Suite installed.
-

Could someone with a W900i please confirm/deny? Also, I guess it might be possible that Vodafone has disabled this function, since they're pretty into DRM. So if someone with a non-vodafone W900i could check this I'd be happy.

/s.

[ This Message was edited by: Slatan on 2006-03-21 12:27 ]
--
Posted: 2006-03-21 12:36:30

Noone?
--
Posted: 2006-03-23 11:51:15

Just wanted to let you know that I've found out that the unbranded W900i at least (don't know about the Vodafone one) works like a USB Mass Storage Device, for both the internal memory and the memorystick.

/s.
--
Posted: 2006-03-25 22:38:41

crazyeighty8 Posts: 85

When connnected via USB in file mode my phone memory shows as drive E and my memory card as drive F. On windows XP sp2.
--
Posted: 2006-04-18 23:07:13

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home