Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Review: Samsung P300
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Review: Samsung P300 Bookmark topic
amnesia Posts: > 500

I had the semi-pleasure of owning an NEC N900 a while back. It was the thinnest (perhaps still is) mobile phone on the market and was a breeze to use, except when it came to calling. You had to use a headset and it didn't have bluetooth. That was it's downfall.

However enter the Samsung P300. A hybrid brushed metal a la 8800 with your old trusty late 80's calculator.

It's amazingly thin (9mm), thinner than my iPod nano in fact (although it doesn't look it at first). Of course it is a bit wider, but that is compensated by being shorter. However it did bring to my mind the question of why they didn't make it in iPod dimensions.

The design is very proffesional and the brushed metal obviously makes it shine. However it does give you the 'flower-effect' meaning you'll want to take care of it and clean it alot.

It has all the basic features, bluetooth, 1.3mp Camera, high color screen, but is it worth it?

So, if you want an unbiased review, enjoy this one.

Specs:
80 MB internal memory, Triband, has 1 (1.3 Megapixels with led flash)
Features: mp3 player (dedicated buttons), bluetooth, PC Sync, Video Calling, Video recording, Sound recording.
Screen: 262K internal screen (TFT)
System: Samsung Generic
Sound: one speaker from the earpiece.

I apologize if the pictures are a bit blurry.
What you get:

In the box you get the battery, a headset, charger, leather case (with battery extension built in), battery cover and manuals.
The wallet was a great touch because it made the phone look even more business-like.

Sadly there was no memory card slot which would have helped, but lets face it, if you have this phone, it's because you want something slim, not something amazingly powerfull.

As soon as you switch it on, you'll notice that the navi pad flashes. Don't worry, it's not a fault. In fact it's a service light. It flashes to show you that you've got good signal strength. You can switch it off if it annoys you though.

Below are a few pics of the phone.

Oddly though, it seems as if the phone itself attracts oil much easier than the 8800. Of course this isn't the case, it's just that it's more visible. However a few wipes and you're set.

As it can be seen, the case looks perfect and isn't cheap looking either.

Since it's metal it feels nice and is a bit weighty (of course it's still very light).
At first, you think that you'll ahve to use two hands, but the buttons are arranged so that you can use it easily with one hand. It takes a bit ofgetting used to the new layout, however you'll master it in an hour.

It could be said that the buttons are a bit too small, I see no reason why they couldn't have made them slightly larger. Ah well.

Sound Quality on the phone is great but some songs do sound a bit raspy.

Video:
Video was actually pretty good. It was smooth and didn't show much pixelation.

The camera might seem to be in an awkward position, but thats not so, since you can rotate the screen to hold the camera in any way you like.

You get to change wallpapers and you have 4 'skins' which are actually just different colour schemes. They're in the traditional samsung glassy style.

You are also able to customize the navi pad so each direction launches a different app or meny.

As it can be seen, the phone is actually very slim and indeed a sexy thing to behold.

Organizer.
Calendar, tasks, notes, secret memo, alarms, timer, stopwatch, record sound, calculator and world times, and a few games.
As mentioned previously, there is also any easy SYNC feature.

Phonebook
the phone book is nice and simple, although it does take a bit of getting used to if you haven't used a Samsung before.

Settings
Also known as the Control Panel. Anything is accessable. From brightness of the screen to sound quality.
You are able to change skins, wallpapers, ring tones, and even the sound the phone makes when you dial a number, switch the phone on, or cycle through menus.

Pros
Looks nice.
Thin!
Has 1.3MP and Bluetooth
Well built.

Cons
No Memory card slot
Screen's pixel angles make it look a bit glary
keypad a bit small.

My verdict? Buy one now as a second phone!

the best place to get a great deal is Fluid Mobile
http://www.fluidmobile.com

or Compare a Deal
http://www.widgx.net

--
Posted: 2006-04-28 23:40:41
Edit : Quote

BobaFett Posts: > 500

thats fone is the most expensive pocket calculator i ever seen. in one of the shops where i come around daily, the boss is using that, i played with it ca 2 weeks ago. that case solution with the batt is interesting, i have to admit.
--
Posted: 2006-04-28 23:44:47

amawanqa Posts: > 500

Nice review, amnesia.
Quality hi-res photos like those really complement any review; makes it that much more 'polished' and professional-looking. Well done.
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 00:04:46

thank you very much.

And yes my hands are tiny for a 22 year old
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 00:10:01

Si_V80 Posts: 453

So when you put it ni the leather case do you have to take the battery out or is it in another location?
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 13:41:26

shaliron Posts: > 500

Think I read on mobileburn that the case adds battery life! So in addition to style and protection you get some nifty extra talking time. I would have gotton one if it wasn't for the fact that it looked like a calculator.
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 14:02:41

People have said it looks like a calculator but then again, all card phones will.

I think it looks sexy. Once you have it in your hands and slip it into your pocket, you hardly notice it.

And yes the cover does add battery life, it has an extra batter built in.
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 22:11:52

Topscooby Posts: 414

Top review Kei, and very nice photos mate
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 23:15:05

thanks very much. You can never have too many reviews or photos/
--
Posted: 2006-04-29 23:47:35